Introduce yourself

Questions, problems or suggestions about this board

Introduce yourself

Postby Yucef » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:30 am

Since I'm a long time Mazzy fan but don't know any of you folks, I thought it would be a nice idea to have a thread where people can introduce themselves.

So here goes...

Hello I'm Joe from Holland, I became a Mazzy fan instantly when I saw them on Jules Holland back in July 1994.
I wrote down the name of the band on a piece of paper that subsequently got lost somewhere.
Luckily that particular show (the late Johnny Cash was also in it) was rebroadcast in the autumn, so I wrote down their name again and this tim pinned the paper to the wall.
First opportunity to buy a Mazzy album (She hangs brightly), came next year at a visit to the shopping mall in Woking (Surrey right?) but over here they were (and are) extremely hard to find and I had to order them (remember the older Mazzy albums are from the pre-internet era!).

I was a member of the forum on the Boulevard before it got closed down for a few weeks, just long enough to grab a couple of bootlegs and be awestruck by Mazzy all over again.
Hungry for more I roamed Youtube and found several of Hermesacat's posts, one of which mentioned this site so I quickly ran and became its 48th member.

Mazzy Star is not the only music I like, I think I have wide (wilde?) variety of artists that I like, ranging from Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young to Miles Davis and from Algeria's sweetheart Souad Massi to Japan's top artists Base Ball Bear, Soutaisei Riron, Judy&Mary and YUI (and lots more from about every corner of the globe).

So there, that's me, now on to you guys and girls...
Yucef

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby KoalaCub9 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:52 pm

I dont think I introduced myself. I am nothing. Nothing happens for a reason. It is the funniest of wonderments. the light by the tunnel is the temperature and intensity of the beginning. Hello you, it is I, I. The one and the only true dissenter within. You look through your hormones and find nothing. Nothing happens to be well counted. It is for whom the dark days pay tribute. The yellowish howl of the sun disappears. They stand looking across impenetrable barriers. Where do they fall in the looking glass? Time is triggered by the mysteries of lately. I am permanent but nothing lasts. Certainly not this fizzle-gig of a moment blotted on the mirror of an unending rainfall. I, the nighthawk of sleep and sound, curve my wings across the sky in search of sorrow and echoes.
KoalaCub9

Postby bretkman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi All,

I've been a Mazzy Star fan only a few years. Besides Mazzy's beyond wonderful voice, I just love David Roback's guitar tone and guitar playing style. I have recently picked up Happy Nightmare Baby, Fell from the Sun, and One Big Guitar on vinyl (I know it's Kendra, but David's guitarwork amazes me, and I like Kendra's voice and style.)

Of course I have downloaded many FLACs and recently uploaded them to my Vox Clound account so I can stream FLAC files from my iphone, ipod, ipad etc. HOWEVER I found that many files are missing ID3 data. This has caused quite a few hundred songs to lump together as "Unknown Artist" and "Unknown Track." Can anyone help me with this? How do I update the ID3 tags? I have over 1,000 songs, do i have to go into each and every song and update the Artist, Venue, Date, Song Title, Album Art etc? Any suggestions on which program is best? (i have a Mac.) I don't really understand what I have seen so far ... I am not twenty something.... but I'm not computer illiterate ;-)

Looking forward to your replies.

Thank you,
Bret
bretkman

Postby bretkman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:24 am

Hi All,

I think I figured out the ID3 tagging issue, I found Amvidea has a program that looks pretty intuitive, working on that now, not sure how you guys all do it or what programs you use. I am looking forward to streaming the live shows in FLAC on Vox on my iPod, iPhone, etc.

Cheers,
Bret
bretkman

Postby bretkman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:16 am

Sorry, looks like I may have posted in the wrong spot. Has anyone used Amvidea to create IP3 edits? So far so good, but I've not tried to play the files yet...
bretkman

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi I didn't see your posts in this section till weeks after you posted them. If you'd posted them in the Bootlegs thread, I'm sure I'd have seen them earlier. Since most the FLAC files are my uploads, I should be the one responding. I'm pretty sure the problem you report is due to metadata being lacking on my files. It's lacking because I intentionally stripped metadata (data shows title and artists) from files I received from others, or else I did not include metadata on files I created myself. I came to dislike the presence of such metadata on my files for reasons I'll explain, and so I do not include it. But I did not realize this could cause the problems you report.

For you, you found that lack of metadata created problems, but for me (playing files via an audio player on my laptop), metadata CREATED problems I didn't like, especially with files I obtained via popular live show torrent sharing site dimeadozen.org because of the format Dime users tend to use in ID-ing song tracks with metadata.
Here's an example of typical Dime style metadata on a single song file: "mazzy210594tr6" . That's a metadata ID
for the song "Bell's Ring" from a live show (Mercury Lounge, NYC) May 21, 1994, and it's the 6th track from the show. You can see the metadata IDs the artist, the date of the show, and what number track it is, but does NOT show the actual song title, only its track number (6).

Why do I hate this? Because when I load songs with such metadata onto my audio player on my laptop, the
playlist my audio player shows me does not show the song title I've given the file "Bell's Ring." Instead, it
shows the metadata data description: "mazzy210594tr6". But I want to see the song's title on the playlist, not an
ID that I have to look up on a separate track listing document to know what song the metadata refers to as "tr06"!

Instead of going to the trouble of changing the metadata from "mazzy210594tr6" to "Bell's Ring," I've just opted out of including metadata at all anymore. But once I remove that metadata description "mazzy210594tr6", the audio player playlist lists the non-metadata title I gave it: "Bell's Ring" which is what I want to see, and that's all I want to see in the playlist.

So, for my own laptop, I've assumed a "no metadata" rule for my own audio files. And since it's my own files I use I that upload to share, others have had to live with receiving metadata-free files! As I say, I didn't realize this could cause such problems as you describe.

I'm not familiar with the term "ID3" but on looking it up, I see it has to do with metadata. I'm sorry I don't know a way that you can quickly add metadata to those files via some program. The only way I would know to do it would be to add your own metadata (song title, artist, album or show, etc.) by typing that info in one song file at a time on each file's "Details" page. Hopefully, the faster method you found worked okay.
Hermesacat

Postby bretkman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi Hermesacat,

Thanks for the reply. I got it figured out pretty well, though not perfect. My goal was to stream the FLACs from the cloud on my iPod via Vox. Now I am trying to stream through a Sonos but Vox has not been helpful in helping me figure it out, ugh.

By the way, I noticed a bunch of dead links in the bootlegs. Can I shoot you a pm sometime and work to try to get access to them one way or the other?

I'm quite a few years late for the party, but really enjoying all these live Mazzy and Opal shows, especially Roback's guitar! Thank you so much for sharing all this great music!

Best Regards,
Bret
bretkman

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:02 am

Hi. Glad you're figuring out the metadata problems with streaming. I'll fix any dead links you find if you tell me which ones are not working.
Hermesacat

Return to Questions/Suggestions