Mazzy Star + Hope INTERVIEWS, 2018, (SEVEN)

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Mazzy Star + Hope INTERVIEWS, 2018, (SEVEN)

Postby Hermesacat » Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 am

ARTICLES and TRANSCRIPTS INCLUDED IN THIS POST, SO FAR (more will be added here as they turn up):

-2018, MAY 17, UNCUT mag, MAZZY STAR INTERVIEW w. HOPE and DAVID
-2018, JUNE 8, MUSIC.COM.AU site, MAZZY STAR INTERV. w. HOPE and DAVID
-2018, JUNE 12, NEWS.COM.AU site, INTERV. with HOPE and DAVID re. the song "Fade Into You"
-2018, JUNE 12, ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corp., Melbourne), Radio INTERV. w. HOPE and DAVID
-2018, JUNE 12, DOUBLE J Radio, Sydney, Radio INTERV. w. HOPE and DAVID
-2018, AUG. 9, SONOMANEWS.COM article re. Mazzy Star's pedal steel player, JOSH YENNE, w. interv. content
-2018, DEC. 11, BELLA UNION site article with a few QUOTES from HOPE re. her song collab. "Big Boss Man"

.........................................................................................
MAY 17, 2018 publishing date, UNCUT mag, MAZZY STAR INTERVIEW / article, July, 2018 issue. Here's the text pasted below, plus a screen shot of the mag's Mazzy Star page. The Mazzy Star article is just one page in the issue.
Uncut doesn't post articles free online, but you can buy the digital version of the July, 2018 issue, here: http://www.uncut.co.uk/digital-editions [Full text pasted below]:

From UNCUT mag, July, 2018 issue (published on May 17)

INSTANT KARMA

Mazzy Star: back in 2018 after losing "some irreplaceable creative people"
As a new Mazzy Star EP fades into view, the enigmatic duo remain heroically non-commital

When Jim Jarmusch curated the All Tomorrow's Parties festival in New York in 2010, one of the first bands he booked were Mazzy Star [correction: Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions played All Tomorrows Parties fest in 2010, not Mazzy Star]. Though it's never been confirmed, it's clear this must have been the encounter that inspired his languorous 2015 vampire movie, Only Lovers Left Alive. It's obvious when you think about it: Mazzy Star are vampires. How else to explain the fact that Hope Sandoval doesn't seem to have aged in the past two decades? Or that they decided to take a I7-year break between releasing their third and fourth albums?
If you're immortal, 17 years must be the merest blink of an eye.

Because the stars have aligned or because they got bored hanging out in Tangiers with Christopher Marlowe — the band have returned with a new EP, their first release in four years. As always with Mazzy Star, the four songs on the "Still" EP sound utterly classic, like ancient standards. But there's also a subtle development in the Mazzy soundworld. Lead track "Quiet, The Winter Harbour" couldn't be the work of any other band, but with its stately piano chords it suggests that, in their fourth decade of existence, the band are finding new ways of conjuring deathless melancholy. "This particular song really came out of the piano," says David Roback from California, where he has now returned after a decade or so in Scandinavia and London. "We've had other songs like that in the past, but we've always adapted them for electric organ. Electric organ has always been a very big part of Mazzy Star live. But songs like 'Look On Down From The Bridge' that we know of as organ songs were originally just piano and voice."

"Quiet, The Winter Harbour" sounds like it could have been recorded in the 19th century. In fact they played it at a gig in London in 2000. The second track on the EP, the heart-stopping, quintessentially Mazzy "That Way Again", may have been performed live in 1994. It's become clear that, although they profess to be writing and recording all the time, Mazzy Star have a vast archive of songs they like to refine and let mature before being released into the wild. "Yes, there is a truth to that," says Roback. "It's like a really lovely wine cellar."
"I wish we had a wine cellar!" adds Hope Sandoval, in a rare glimpse of levity.

It's fair to say that Mazzy Star aren't the most forthcoming of interviewees. The conversation is punctured by long, epic silences as questions echo through Skype, across the Atlantic. Even by the standards of rock interviewees, there is something regal about their ennui. What inspired them to release the new EP? "Oh, we didn't really think too much about it," drawls Hope, "we just got the songs together and decided to release them." You're playing the Vivid Festival in Sydney in June - do you enjoy festivals? "Not really." Is there likely to be a new album? "At some point we'll release more music."

Last year saw the death of both Mazzy Star's drummer of 30 years, Keith Mitchell, and their long time stage manager Tom Cashen. Has this encounter with mortality given the band a new sense of urgency? Of course not. "We did lose some irreplaceable creative people," says David with impeccable poise, as though in his time he has seen great cities rise and empires fall. "We really feel that they have contributed to our music and are still part of the music. We feel that tradition is continuing."
STEPHEN TROUSSÉ
The "Still" EP is released on June 1 by Rhymes Of An Hour Records.
..................................................................................
The screen shot of the 1-page article embedded here is not the best resolution. I had to make it smaller to fit this thread. But you can DL a better res version here: https://i.imgur.com/C3MrJeE.png
Image.
Note journalists are making use of info. found at fan sites (this one and the FB one) lately for including in Mazzy Star articles and for asking questions of Hope and David. The Brooklyn Vegan earlier, and now Uncut mag.

*********************************************************************************************
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*********************************************************************************************

2018, JUNE 8, MUSIC.COM.AU site INTERVIEW w. HOPE & DAVID
[one photo accompanies the article, embedded below]

https://themusic.com.au/article/8q3l5Of ... ony-carew/

'I Just Think People Are Giving Way Too Much Information, And It's Really Boring'

Jun 8th 2018 | Anthony CarewMore Sharing Services
After joking that “there may be a recorded instance or two” of people dancing at their shows, Mazzy Star’s David Roback and Hope Sandoval tell Anthony Carew that privacy should be something that’s treasured.

"Music," says Mazzy Star's David Roback, "is very visual in the sense that it triggers a sort of cinematic reaction in the mind. This reaction is really very personal, very individual. But it's universal that this happens."

It's a rare moment of conversational flourish from the duo; guitarist Roback and singer Hope Sandoval. From their beginnings - in Los Angeles in 1989, when they formed from the ashes of Roback's prior band Opal - Mazzy Star have been a study in reluctance. On stage, they rarely talk. In interviews, they talk even less. On the eve of their first-ever Australian tour, with the release of a brand new EP, Still, Roback and Sandoval are true to conversational form: brief answers, long silences, general evasiveness. They're not hostile, just reserved; Mazzy Star's two main people don't talk much, especially when it comes to music.

"There's a certain narrative that goes into any album," Roback says, at one point, of the band's fourth album - and comeback LP - 2013's Seasons Of Your Day. "[But] we usually don't really try to turn that [narrative] into a verbal, conceptual form. It is what it is. It's music."

Mazzy Star's music is glorious: steeped in blues and country, but played at a slowcore tempo with Sandoval's glorious drawl draped over the top. Their 1993 single Fade Into You is a classic ballad, used in more films and TV shows than you could count; the band having long been loved by music supervisors. Sandoval has had the experience of sitting in a cinema and unexpectedly hearing a Mazzy Star song come on. "It's a bit strange," she says, "you're at the cinema, just watching a movie, then all of a sudden your music starts playing, super-loud."

In their early days, Mazzy Star grew out of what Roback calls "LA's late-night music scene". Their music always felt natural, their own. "We never really thought we were a backdrop for people to dance [to], particularly; we just felt like we had something to do, that we wanted to do," Roback says. So, do people ever dance at their shows? [incredibly long pause, this time adding comic effect] "I think there's been a recorded instance or two of people daring to dance."

Though this is Mazzy Star's first Australian tour, Sandoval came here, in 2010, on a solo tour (with her band The Warm Inventions) that showed local audiences her unease on stage. "It can be stressful, it can be nerve-wracking," she admits. "Standing there, having to sing, in front of thousands of people, it's just not a natural thing to be up there, with that many people watching you. But there's moments where it can be a really beautiful experience."

The duo are happy to still be making music together ("the thrill has not gone from working with Hope," Roback says) and the loyalty of a fanbase that's allowed them to. Since their return, the band have released their own music, and there's a dissonance between Mazzy Star's ways of being and the current musical climate (though, when Sandoval confesses, "I even Shazam, sometimes," with a laugh, she pokes at the idea).

"What's most different is how quickly things happen today, as opposed to the way they used to happen," Roback says. "We were a part of the musical underground, we existed in the shadows. Now, the way people consume information and music happens so very quickly."

Talk of the digital now leads to the subject that, finally, Mazzy Star are most outspoken about: social media. Roback dismisses the idea of an audience knowing an artist ("it's a fantasy in their minds, it requires a map of misreading") and Sandoval laments the whole medium. "I just think people are giving way too much information, and it's really boring," she sighs. "I think it's just something that people, especially younger people, just do. That's just their way. That's how they've grown up. It's just a part of them. If they have a cheeseburger, they want everybody to know they're having a cheeseburger. If they took a walk in the park, they want everybody to know they took a walk in the park. We didn't grow up that way. We grew up feeling that it's good to have some privacy, you should treasure it."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018, JUNE 12, NEWS.COM.AU site, INTERV. w. HOPE and DAVID focusing entirely on the song "Fade Into You"

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/m ... 4956b75227

[The article contains one embedded yt video: Fade Into You official video,
plus 4 photos]

[Mazzy Star's official FB page posted a link to this article with this comment]:
Thank you James Weir for your nice words about our little song.

Story behind Mazzy Star’s sleepy ’90s hit Fade Into You
THE slow, dreamy tune is the soundtrack to a generation. But the band didn’t plan on writing a ’90s classic.
by James Weir

MAZZY Star’s dreamy 1994 lullaby Fade Into You is considered one of the most iconic songs of the decade, and the magic behind it is simple.

“It’s a really good song,” singer Hope Sandoval told news.com.au. “It’s just one of those things.”

The alternative piece of dream pop became a teenage soundtrack, with it’s repetitive words of heartache and longing on top of lingering slide guitar and piano. But the band’s guitarist and producer David Roback said they never planned on writing a song that would help define a generation.

“It was never intended to be a nostalgic song. Unless you were meant to think about nostalgia for the present because it really was about the present,” he said.

When it was released, the fuzzy, dark tune from the Californian band wasn’t a number one hit. In the US, it peaked at number three on Billboard’s Modern Rock charts. But 24 years later, it has featured in 28 movies and television shows.

If you grew up in the ’90s, chances are you either made out to it, had your heart broken to it or simply stared at the ceiling while listening to it on repeat.

For Roback and singer Hope Sandoval, who are in Sydney this week for a string of Vivid performances, their lives in Los Angeles were as simple as the song itself.

“We used to walk on the beach a lot and walk around the city,” Roback said, adding he and Sandoval wrote the music and lyrics together in one day.

“It came almost at the same time. We weren’t trying to write a hit song — we were just writing a song.

Photo caption: "The sleepy single features in more than 28 movies and TV shows. Source:YouTube"

“I think we had a melody and a feel and we just followed that feel. And that became the song.

“It was acoustic guitar and both (of us) singing and after we’d written the song then we arranged it for other instruments — piano and slide guitar and drums. But it started out as an acoustic song.”

Sandoval, whose hazy vocals drift through the song, can remember the day they wrote it.

“I thought it was a beautiful song and we jammed on it for a while. And then it eventually it made the cut,” she said.

Photo caption: "The band perform on Later … With Jules Holland in 1994. Source:YouTube"

Photo caption: "The reclusive band perform in 2013 on Jimmy Fallon. Source:YouTube"

The song became the first single off the band’s million-plus selling second album, So Tonight That I Might See. Since its release, it has become a favourite cover for other artists during live sets — from Ben Harper and Dinosaur Jr to Kelly Clarkson. But it’s an unexpected version that left Roback most impressed — and realising the true impact of the hit.

“(I was) in Venice Beach, California, (and I) saw this guy sitting on a street corner playing that song. And that’s the most excited I’d ever felt about the song,” he said.

The pair went on to release two more albums and, after a hiatus and various side projects, have returned with this year’s EP Still. But it’s Fade Into You that remains their most requested song. While other bands come to resent the song that made them famous, Roback and Sandoval still love it.

“We never felt that way (resentful). It’s just one of our songs. We play it because we want to play it. We want to.”

2018, JUNE 12, ABC RADIO, MELBOURNE, Mazzy Star INTERV. w HOPE and DAVID
[Mazzy Star did two radio interviews this same day. This one is the shorter of the two. The audio
is about 9 minutes long. I've upped the audio to youtube, here: https://youtu.be/JMY-_i2EY-Y .The second interview is three times as long and is best in multiple ways, imo]

Mazzy Star Radio Interview 2018, June 12, ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corp.) Radio Melbourne
with ABC host Myf Warhurst

(Recording of "Fade Into You" is played as an intro.)
MYF: Such a timeless sound, isn't it? So beautiful. Mazzy Star there,
a duo from California with a track released in the early nineties,
"Fade Into You." And when Mazzy Star began making music back in the late eighties, they were the opposite, absolute opposite, of so much around them at the time. And listening to that it just still sounds like nothing else today, and that's what makes it stand out. Extraordinary stuff Thirty years on, they're finally in Australia for the very first time ever. Please welcome to the ABC studios right around the country, we have Hope Sandoval and David Roback from Mazzy Star. Hello.

HOPE: Hi

DAVID: Hello there

MYF: Great to talk to you. It's been a long wait for us here in Australia. How are you finding it, your
very first tour to Australia?

DAVID: Well, I've never spoken to someone named Myf before

MYF:(laughs) Oh, that's good. That's a first. We've got a first

HOPE:(laughs)

DAVID: It's uh, it's part of our Australian adventure.

MYF: It is. Have you, have you seen any of the sites? You're pretty much in Sydney for, for the time.
You're only doing exclusive gig as part of the Vivid Festival. Have you had a chance to see anything outside
of the Sydney Opera House?

DAVID: Well, not yet. We just, we just arrived recently and uh, we've been hanging around the Harbour and near the Opera House, and we'll probably start to explore, uh, later, later this week. 'Cause I know there's a lot of interesting things here.

MYF: Yeah, and such a perfect place to start. You're at the epicenter of Australian tourism, right there,
doing a gig at the Opera ce- (laughs), Opera House. It's brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Um, you two,
we've been talking about music that, that calms, music that's, that's hypnotic, and stuff that, that actually calms us outside of music. Is there anything for you two, given you make some of the most beautiful, calming music on the planet. Is there anything both of you enjoy doing that calms you down? (laughs) Hope, have you got anything in the background there?

HOPE: Um, I can't really think of anything, right now

MYF: No?

DAVID: Well, for all those people who are listrning to your program on, who are driving in cars, we're-,
sometimes we like to drive around and listen to music, and-

HOPE: I don't drive, I like to be driven around (laughs)

MYF: Ah, I'd find that very calming too, Hope (laughs)

HOPE: Yeah

MYF: Yeah, ordering people around to drive, that would be fabulous

HOPE:(laughs)

MYF: Um, you had one show last night at The Vivid Festival, as part of The Vivid Festival.
How was that first show?

HOPE: Uh, well, I was, I was pretty nervous, and it was nice but my legs were shaking and
um, yeah

MYF: Hope, you've always been quite nervous about performing, uh, something I've, I've known about
you from, from reading about the group on and off over the years. How do you cope with that if,
if it's something that still makes you nervous to this day? I get nervous, still, doing radio some
days but I've been doing it for twenty years. I'm interested to know how you cope with that

HOPE: (sighs) I don't know, I just do it. But it, it's pretty scary Yeah, it's the strangest thing to get
up there in front of-, I don't know how many people were there last night, a couple thousand people, and you know it, it's crazy (laughs). But it's also fun, you know. It's, it can be a good time too.

MYF: Yeah. And also this was your first gig for five years, you two. What's it like getting back together?
Did you have a nice time performing? Have the rehearsals been fun? Or is it, is it a difficult thing to do to,
to get back and play this music?

DAVID: Well, it, it's very, it's really very natural for us 'cause we hang out a lot together, and
always are sort of writing and recording, so, uh, it's, it feels very natural, I think.

MYF: Yeah. Um, when you do get back in the room together what's the first song of yours that you play, is it that one, "Fade Into You," that we just heard? Is that, is that the easiest to step in, or do you have another
fave?

DAVID: Ah, I don't think that we really ever plan that. We just, it probably would be different songs and, uh, just go with what ever we're in the mood for at the time

MYF: Yeah. Were you aware when you started making your music back in that, in the late eighties, how incredibly opposite it was to everything else that was coming out at the time.

DAVID: Well, you know, there, there was, uh, we were playing a lot of acoustic music at the time and that wasn't really popular, um, in the, well, I mean it's always, it's never, you know, unpopular, but it wasn't really in the, you know, in the forefront of what was really trendy or popular, but that was never really something that interested us. But we knew a lot of, uh, and we've always admired people, who played all types of music from very electric to, uh, totally acoustic. So, um, we just did what we wanted to. We didn't really think about how we fit in.

MYF: Well, subsequently, uh, you've amassed fans all ovr the world, and as I said in my introduction,
the music is just timeless, it's ageless, and for that reason it gets used in a lot of soundtracks for
television. I, I think your music's turned up on episodes of The O.C., on Charmed, or C.S.I. Can you tell me the strangest place you personally have heard your music being used on screen.

DAVID: Ah, well, you know it's been in var-, we, we, we did a, ah, I remember we went to a screening in London of a Bertolluci film, um, and that was kind of interesting. But, ah, a lot of times things kind of, um - It's a little bit strange, the whole thing. Yeah, 'cause we don't really write music with that in mind, we just-

MYF: No

DAVID: Yeah, so, ah, but ah, it's cool, I mean-

MYF: It's a great thing to be able to hear your music where ever it is, but there's a real confidence in, in your sound. You know what works and have always seemed to, regardless of what's going around, on around you. Is it the key, for you, just to make music that-, in the style you love, and, and sticking to that?

DAVID: I, I don't think there's really any, for us, any alternative other than to do what we want to do. Otherwise, we wouldn't bother doing it.

MYF: Yeah, absolutely. That's a fair point. you've got a new e.p. though. You got back together and
made a new e.p., not that you've ever stopped making music. The new e.p. is, uh, it's a beautiful one,
and I'd love to play a track from it, if you'd like to let us know the lyrical inspiration behind this
one. It's called "Quiet, The Winter Harbor," and this is on the brand new e.p., just released. Can you talk us through this one before I give it a spin?

HOPE: Um, I think we recorded that one in Norway. Um, yeah, I think, um, we hadn't seen each other in a while

DAVID: Right, yeah, I remember, yeah. And then we were playing some piano things, and it kind of came out of that

DAVID: Sometimes we write on piano, and sometimes guitars, and just different things, it really depends

MYF: and what about lyrically?

HOPE: Ah, ah, I don't really know what to say about the lyrics. They just sort of speak for themselves, I guess

MYF: Let's hear it now. Have a wonderful time in Australia. Get out and see the sites. Should be
magnificent. Mazzy Star are playing as part of the Vivid Festival. Those dates run until the 13th of June [2018] at the Sydney Opera House. Here is the beautiful new song, "Quiet, The Winter Harbor." Thanks
so much David and Hope or joining us today

HOPE: Thank you

2018, JUNE 12, DOUBLE-J RADIO, Australia, Mazzy Star Interview
with host Karen Leng
(Double-J is internet radio owned by ABC, Australian Broadcasting Corp.)
[one photo accompanied the play-on-demand posting of the interview at an ABC site page,
a photo of Hope and David standing outside ABC studios, Sydney. The audio was available
at ABC's site for a few weeks, then removed. I recorded it and upped it to youtube, here:
https://youtu.be/Nc-dQonpVDo . Hope and David did one other radio interview this same day. This one
is longest and best in multiple ways, imo.]
...................................................................................

Hope and David outside ABC Studios, Sydney, June 12, 2018

[Male announcer's voice]:This is Karen Leng on Double J

KAREN LENG: And it's great to be with you, and we're in for a treat today because Mazzy Star are in Australia. Uh, they're here for their very first Australian tour and performing three shows, well two more actually, at the Sydney Opera House. David Roback and Hope Sandoval will be joining me on the program today

[The Mazzy Star song "Flowers in December" is played]

KL: On Double J, that's Flowers in December from Mazzy Star and Among My Swan back in
1996 and it was in fact the song that kicked off the performance last night that Mazzy Star gave at the Sydney Opera House on their very first Australian tour, and I want to say a big warm welcome to Dave Roback and Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star who have joined me today. Hello.

HOPE: Hi

DAVID: Hello there

KL: How's it feeling? I mean today, well it's very exciting this week because, of course, this is your very first Australian tour. You made us wait a very long time. Was there a reason for that?

HOPE: Ah, well I was here a few years ago. But I guess Mazzy Star's never played here

KL: Yeah. David, have you ever visited Australia?

DAVID: No I haven't, and I'm really enjoying being here now

KL: Yeah, great. So, last night at the Opera House it was a beautiful show and I wanted to know how you guys felt about it. Were there any pre-show nerves?

HOPE: I was very nervous.

KL: Were you?

HOPE: I'm always nervous, so-. But yeah, it, it was, it was a really nice, uh, vibe in the audience. But we get pretty nervous, the live shows

KL: Even after all this time

KL: What, what techniques do you have, Hope, to uh, to get ready to get out on stage?

HOPE: Uh, you know, a couple glasses of wine

KL: It always helps anybody

HOPE: (laughs)

KL: (laughs) Um, yeah, well it was a very beautiful show last night. What makes a good show for Mazzy Star when you walk off stage? Did you feel like that at the end of the night?

DAVID: Well, I think that we had, uh, it was the first time we ever performed in Australia, so it was very exciting for us, and I think that, uh, the Opera House, is, it's a very-, it's different to play in front of an audience that's sitting down in a theatre like that. A concert hall is different from playing at a nightclub or, it just has a different vibe to it, but it was, it was cool

KL: Yeah. There's beautiful acoustics in there, that room at the Opera House, and let alone the incredible lighting which is happening outside as part of, uh, Vivid Festival. It's great to have you here with a new e.p. in hand, the "Still" e.p. Can you tell us a little bit about these songs, the four songs on it? Are any of them brand new?

DAVID: They're all, we've never released any of them before. We released a different version of the song So Tonight That I Might See. This is a different version that we've released now, a different interpretation of the song. We call it the Ascension version

KL: Mm-hm

DAVID: And, ah, yeah, these songs, although we've played them before occasionally, we've, we've never really released them till just now and so yeah, it's, it's all very much of a mixture of things we've been working on for a while and some things that are very new to us

KL: Hm. You did, of course, release your first album in 17 years Seasons Of The Day in 2015 [correction: Seasons of Your Day was released in 2013 -ed.]. Do you guys stay in touch creatively and collaborate when Mazzy Star aren't active?

HOPE: Yeah, we collaborate all the time

KL: Do you?

HOPE: We see each other a lot, and get together, exchange ideas, play

KL: How does that happen? Do you just sit around doodling?

DAVID: Well, we've, we've been been working in different studios we, in, in London and in California. In Norway we were spending a lot of time together and, um, we, when we hang out we just, we inevitably end up recording and writing

KL: How does the way you record compared to the way that we hear you live?

DAVID: Well, a lot, a lot of our recordings are actually very live and we, we, we like that. We don't, um, really-, it's not really our way, our approach is not to, you know-, it's really to capture something about the moment rather than chasing a kind of idea of perfection and so we just, we like to have that spontaneity in what we do

KL: And do you feel like you can have that on stage as well?

HOPE: Sometimes

KL: Hmm. How did that work out for you last night? Like in what particular songs were you able to do that?

HOPE: Oh, well, like, like I said, I mean, I was very, very nervous, so-

KL: Were you? (laughs)

KL: (laughs)

HOPE: My legs were shaking

KL: Aw, well, you were, you were actually hard to see Hope (laughs)

HOPE: Yay. I don't want to be seen (laughs)

KL: Even from where I was standing, you were, you were just a silhouette (laughs)

HOPE: Yeah, I prefer it that way

KL: I could see your hand moving when you gently played the tambourine (laughs). But you looked very still. Actually, you looked very composed, I thought. I didn't see any shaky knees

HOPE: Yeah, I'm just, I'm, I'm too afraid to make a move (laughs)

KL: (laughs) It's funny though because those nerves don't affect your voice

HOPE: Um, sometimes it does, you know, uh, sometimes it sounds sort of shaky, so

KL: Yeah, Hope you've talked about being nervous for a long time on stage and how difficult that is for you but how do you reconcile that with the urge to, to be an artist and to, to make music?

HOPE: Well, I mean, it is nerve-racking and it's, it can be really, really difficult, but it also can be a beautiful experience, you know, it's, it's um, can be magical, and those are, that's when it really just comes together and it's really special, and I think that's why I do it. Um, that's the good side of it

KL: Mm. Do you ever have shows where you feel like it's gone belly-up?

HOPE: Of course, yeah

KL: And how do you deal with that?

HOPE: Uh, you know, just get on with it

KL: Have another glass of wine

HOPE: Exactly. Or three

KL: (laughs) Here's Mazzy Star with me in the Double J Studios. Let's go back to their first album She Hangs Brightly. This is Halah, on Double J

[The Mazzy Star song "Halah" is played]

KL: I'm talking with Dave Roback and Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star who are in Australia for their very first tour which is so exciting after, well, over 30 years together. Um, it was really great last night to hear a number of songs from your first album together She Hangs Brightly. How do you, what's your relationship to those songs these days. Like how have you kept them fresh for you over the years?

DAVID: Well, you know, we've, we've played the songs that we like. We don't really, you know, categorize them and discriminate against, uh, ones from a different era. They're all just what we were into now, and we enjoy playing

KL: Mm. But have you found new things to sort of discover about those songs as the years have gone by? Do they reveal themselves in different ways at all?

DAVID: Well, like I mentioned, the song So Tonight That I Might See and we, I think that song has an improvisational element to it. It's, it's a bit, um, like a, uh, an action painting, maybe something like the, you would have seen the Abstract Expressionists do in the 1950s. Every single time it's different

KL: Yeah. I wanted to ask you both about when you first met because I know Hope you were very young, um, 15, is that right?

DAVID: Yeah, I think so

KL: (lsughs) What sort of teenager were you?

HOPE: Uh,probably a sort of bad teenager (laughs)

KL: (laughs) Aren't all teenagers a little bit troubled?

DAVID: She was incredibly talented and, uh, she was writing music and it was absolutely mind-blowing to me

KL: Yeah. Tell me a bit about that, David, the first time you heard Hope sing

DAVID: Well, Hope, uh, we went into a recording studio, Hope and her partner Sylvia Gomez. Uh, they had a band called Going Home. I thought they were so amazing, I just said we've got to go into a studio and so we went into a studio in, in Venice California, and, a place called Radio Tokyo, and we recorded, uh, all sorts of interesting-, um, they performed, I was, I was producing. Um, but it was amazing and it was very inspiring, and that eventually led to us working together.

KL: Mm. I have a compilation album from back then called "The Radio Tokyo Tapes" which had a lot of the bands from the, I guess the Los Angeles scene around that time. Would that be right?

DAVID: Well, there was, there's always been a lot of interesting underground music in, in Los Angeles, like there was, I'm sure there was the same thing here. Um, and uh, that was, yeah, I, I remember that record

KL: Yeah, Rain Parade's on it

DAVID: We worked with, there was a really amazing engineer there, a guy named Ethan James, um, and it was a little old house in Venice and it was a very charming place of work. So, that's where we started to record

KL: Mm. What I remember, listening to music in the mid 80s and some of that, that scene that, that the Rain Parade were a part of as was known as the Paisley Underground, but you know other groups, The Long Riders, The Dream Syndicate, um, and you know, various others, was just how different it was from a lot of music that was getting a lot of noise outside of California,i.e. hardcore and punk. Um, what was it like for you to be playing, you know, in that kind of environment that seems so different? Like those worlds seem so different that that, um, that Mazzy Star came out of

DAVID: Well there was a very, there was a lot of, uh, I, I guess I'd just called underground music and, uh, there was some very interesting, very talented artists other bands, a band called Green on Red that was absolutely mind-blowing, and, um, among, you know, I could, I don't want to just mention one because there were really quite a few interesting artists, and, um, people just doing their own thing and exploring their own direction. I, I don't really, um, it's, it was just a music scene, a lot of underground music

KL: Mm. One of the album's that I really love from the, um, late '80s Los Angeles scene was the band that preceded Mazzy Star, uh, Opal. I've got the Fell From The Sun ep which is my first,um, connection really, to it I suppose, with Kendra Smith on vocals, and then Happy Nightmare Baby which to me was, um, such an amazingly deep and, um, psychedelic, uh, celebration of guitars, that album. Do you ever play songs from Happy Nightmare Baby, or revisit that material?

DAVID: Well, you know Kendra was incredibly talented, you know is incredibly talented person and, uh, we, her and I and Hope, we were all friends back in those days and I, I think that we don't, Mazzy Star went in its own direction. But, uh, certainly Kendra is one of the most amazing musicians that I've ever known

[Opal's song "Supernova" is played]

KL: that's David Roback in psychedelic flight on guitar with Opal and their song Supernova. You're with Karen Lang on Double J, joined by a David Roback and Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star, but that predates Mazzy Star, Opal were a band that David Roback formed with Kendra Smith who had been the drummer [correction: she was bass player] in The Dream Syndicate, but she stepped up to the mic with Opal, and Keith Mitchell on drums, and they made a really amazing album called Happy Nightmare Baby in 1987 which is full of that kind of very hypnotic sludgy, druggy psychedelia, and is well worth investigating if you are a Mazzy Star fan and want to know a little bit more about their roots. But what kind of music was informing your guitar playing in the mid 1980s David?

DAVID: Well, I liked a lot of different guitarists, um, and uh, but so I didn't, I never really had any one particular influences. If I, if I liked something, I liked it

KL: Yeah, but was there, was there a band that say that had the biggest impact on you when you were a teenager that you would return to time and time again?

DAVID: Well, there were certain people that, there were more than, there was more than one, I mean for example Bert Jansch was a, I really admired him, his guitar playing, and, uh, I was very happy eventually to get to know him and to work with him. And he was an absolutely amazing guitar player and an amazing person and amazing songwriter just hugely, uh-, this is an absolutely lovely man

KL: Well, you were lucky enough to get to work with him, weren't you, I mean Mazzy Star?

DAVID: Yes, we, we did, and it was really a great experience

KL: Yeah. Hope, what about you, uh, were there any singers that were, that you loved to listen to when you were a teenager?

HOPE: Yeah, I mean, loads of singers, um, but I think the one that had the biggest influence on me, and I still try to imitate her style of singing, um, is Exene Cervenka from X

KL: Mm.

HOPE: Just think she has an amazing voice and the way she bends her notes

KL: Yes

HOPE: She was a big influence on me

KL: Yeah, well she was a big influence on a lot of women in, in that period, wasn't she?

HOPS: Yeah

KL: For her style

HOPE: Yeah, she's great

KL: Yeah

HOPE: I mean, I've never met her but she is just a really cool, interesting woman

KL: So you met and you recorded together. Did you feel immediately like you had, well, that you were sort of kindred spirits that you had a connection, a chemistry

HOPE: Uh, me and David?

HOPE: Oh yeah, I mean

KL: I mean it can be hard to find that, can't it? It's not, it's not every day that, you, you come across another musician that you can lock in so closely with

HOPE: Yeah, yeah. I mean, we don't even, half the time we don't even really need to speak to each other, you know. We use telepathy.

HOPE: We, we just know what each other's thinking

KL: Did you use telepathy last night, or did you have a song list?

HOPE: I was, I was too nervous to use the telepathy. But (laughs) maybe tonight

DAVID: The song list last night transformed during the concert

KL: Did it?

HOPE: (laughs) Yeah

KL: How so?

DAVID: We, we just spontaneously went in different directions, than we'd planned

KL: (laughs) Uh, the band that you have with you on this tour is, is, is glorious. Can you tell us who's playing with you? Are they, have you been playing with them for awhile?

DAVID: Well, Suki's, uh, been part of the band for, for the entire time we've been playing, Mazzy Star, and she's playing keyboards and some guitar. And we have, uh, Paul Mitchell is playing violin, and, um, Derek James was playing drums. And we had, ah-

HOPE: Paul Olguin

DAVID: Paul Olguin was playing bass. He was fantastic, and they're all very talented. And Josh, Josh Yenne
was playing pedal steel a few songs, yeah

KL: Mm. The pedal steel was gorgeous

DAVID: Yeah, they're all from California and we, we've known them all for quite some time.

KL: Mm

DAVID: They're very cool people

KL: I wanted to, uh, extend my sympathies to you both for the passing of Keith Mitchell last year. I paid tribute to him on my show because I don't think drummers get enough props, and he was, seemed to be such a core part of, of Mazzy Star from the very start. How do you remember him as a drummer, and his contribution to the band?

DAVID: Oh, Keith was, uh, phenomenally talented drummer and a very creative person, a very unique person, absolutely irreplaceable and uh, his, uh, Paul Mitchell is his son who's playing violin with us now, yeah

KL: Mm, I wondered. It, was it very difficult or different introducing a new drummer? Like did, did it change the way you played the songs much?

DAVID: Well, you know, uh, Derek, uh, was, we went on tour with Derek when, with Keith, and so he knew Keith and he really liked Keith's playing, so, uh, Keith was a big influence on him and so it was really, that was very nice that they had that connection. We're keeping that sort of in the family, so to speak [Derek plays drums with The Entrance Band who opened for Mazzy Star in 2013 on some west coast tour shows]

[The Mazzy Star song "Disappear" is played]

KL: I'm talking with David Roback and Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star in Australia for their first Australian tour, two shows still to go, tonight and tomorrow night at the Sydney Opera House if you'd like to get along and soak up the gorgeousness that they gave us last night at the Sydney Opera House. You have such a special chemistry between you, and uh David, How do you go about writing with Hope in mind? Are there any rules around songwriting for you with Mazzy Star

DAVID: No, there aren't any rules at all, whatsoever. We just uh, we, sometimes we write on guitars, sometimes we write on piano, electric organ, or bass guitars, different things, just whatever happens happens

KL: And how do you go through that process of, of selecting songs for albums Do you normally have a lot of material, and you're kind of honing them and trying to figure out how to make, I guess an album that has coherency?

DAVID: Well, I, maybe, uh, we, we'd like to make albums that are incoherent almost as much as we would like to make albums that are coherent

KL: (laughs) I love that (laughs). What's ypur most incoherent album? (laughs)

HOPE: (laughs) All of them (laughs)

KL: (laughs) It was, it was so great to have your new album, um, "Seasons" in 2015 [correction. Seasons of Your Day came out in 2013] and it sort of came out of the
blue, I guess, in a lot of ways. What did it feel like for you to be out and about touring again with those, with those songs and to feel that you had a new audience, but also the original Mazzy Star audience that, you know, had sort of grown up with you, with your music? Like, how, how did that make you feel?

DAVID: I remember, uh, being introduced to a child who was named Mazzy, and I thought that
was interesting, that told a little story to me.

KL: Yeah. Do people have Mazzy Star tattoos?

HOPE: Yes (laughs)

KL: Do they? What do they look like?

HOPE: They look amazing (laughs)

KL: Yeah. What are they based on, some of the album artwork, or?

HOPE: Ah, some of, I think some of them are just the name. And some of them are of me (laughs)

KL: (laughs) What about David, have you got a Mazzy Star tattoo? (laughs)

DAVID: No, I don't. Maybe in my mind I do, but no

KL: (laughs) How do- (laughs)

KL: I know you, you've said before that with each album it's about incoherency as much as coherency, but um, you know, how do you, how do you challenge yourself with each album?

DAVID: I, I think that we don't really have a, we don't really have a process that needs to be verbalized between the two of us. We just really basically do what we like and, and that's been the way it's always been and what what turns us on, and what uh, what we really feel emotionally, tou know, connected to. That's what we like to do

KL: Mm. I wanted to play something from ah, an album that, that David you were a part of, um, in the late '80s the Rainy Day, uh, album, and my copy is so scratched from over wearing it, I, I can barely, barely play it, but could you just give us a little, uh, picture of how that album came together with some of the players from the scene, um, with Kendra Smith. And there was Michael Querico from 3 o'clock, Susanna Hoffs from The Bangles. Was that a spontaneous kind of get into the studio and record some of your favourite songs kind of project?

DAVID: Yeah, yeah, that's really kind of what it was all about. I, I wanted to record some songs and, and with some of my friends and people I, whose work I admired. Um, we just, uh, spontaneously went into the studio and uh, started to record

KL: Yeah. Do you ever listen back to that album?

KL: I, I still, I still think that some of the music on that album is, uh, really special and, um, I, Susanna is a very old friend and dear friend of mine and uh, very talented

KL: I want to play something from that album right now. This is, uh, Rainy Day, featuring Susanna Hoffs on vocals, and you're going to know this song

[cover of the Velvet Underground's song "I'll Be Your Mirror" is played]

KL: I'm talking with David Roback and Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star on Double J. Hope, you have recently, aside from your work with the Warm Inventions, um, over, you continue to collaborate, don't you? Uh, it seems a consistent thing that you've done over the years and I'm sure that you get many more offers for your voice then you're able to accommodate. Do you have any in the wings that we need to look out for? Who have you been singing with?

HOPE: Um, I did something with, um, Mercury Rev recently

KL: Oh yeah

HOPE: Ah, I don't know when it's coming out but that was the, I guess the last thing I did

KL: Yeah. I heard the song that you did with, uh, The Psychic Ills on their album last year too which was really lovely

HOPE: Yeah, that's a good one

KL: What do you like about those collaborations? Do they push you as an artist in different directions?

HOPE: Sometimes, yeah. Yeah, that's, it's, it's always nice to be asked, you know

HOPE: Rather than not being asked

KL: And what's happening with the Warm Inventions at the moment?

HOPE: Oh, nothing. Colm's, I think My Bloody Valentine are, um, going on tour soon, and Mazzy Star in Australia
(laughs)

KL: I know. Hooray, hooray for Mazzy Star in Australia. Are you touring a lot as Mazzy Star at present?

HOPE: Ah, no, no. We're doing these shows and, and we'll see what happens

KL: Mm. Do you have plans, I mean, you say, you said you write a lot, you record a lot. At what point do you decide now is the time to, to put new material out?

DAVID: Yeah we get asked that question from time to time, and we really have never, we never really have, uh, identified what the process is. It's just, ah, happens

KL: As if by magic or telepathy (laughs)

HOPE: Yeah, exactly

KL: (laughs) What are you most proud of with Mazzy Star?

HOPE: Probably, um, the friendships that, that we have with the other musicians, that we've stayed friends for such a long time, and we still have so much in common, and we love playing music together. It's pretty special

KL: It is. It's also very special for people who love your music, and it was obvious last night at the show, um, just how much people felt. I mean I certainly was a bit overwhelmed at times because your album So Tonight That I Might See got me through a very painful childbirth (laughs) with the, the birth of my first daughter, so it brought back lots of memories, uh, for me, for that. But you must get people all the time talking to you about how important your music is to them. does, does anything sort of stand out for you, any comments that people have made?

DAVID: I think the comment you just made will, we'll remember, and that will stand out to us

HOPE: Yeah (laughs)

KL: (laughs) I still listen to it without the pain though (laughs)

HOPE: (laughs) That's good

KL: Yeah. So, have you got any other plans for your time here in Australia after you finish doing, um, the, the shows?

DAVID: Well yeah, there's so much to do here, uh, we, we're gonna just explore and, uh, uh, see what happens

KL: Yeah. So, are you gonna do a little travel?

DAVID: I think we're, We're gonna do, we haven't really planned it. There's some some time, and we're gonna, uh, just, uh, we're, we're open to suggestions, yeah

HOPE: (laughs) We may not go home. We may just stay here, I'm loving it so much

KL: (laughs) that would be great just and then we'd have never have to wait for you to come back again. Thank you so much for your time today. it's really great to have you come in and chat to us about, about the band. And, um, what song did you enjoy playing most last night? What, what hit the nail on the head for you? Because we'll go out with that

HOPE: Uh, for me it was So Tonight That I Might See. It was so strange, so (laughs). It was so experimental last night, and I think that was my favorite one

KL: And it doesn't often go in that direction?

HOPE: Um, it does, but I don't think we've ever done that song where it's just me and Suki for the first two minutes (laughs)

KL: (laughs) Thank you so much for your time today David Roback and Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star

HOPE: Thank you

KL: It's so good to have them in the country, isn't it? And such a pleasure to talk to them on today's show. It's gone fast. The show is over

[the Mazzy Star song "So Tonight That I Might See" is played]

2018, AUG. 9, SONOMANEWS.COM article re. Mazzy Star's pedal steel player, JOSH YENNE, w. interv. content

https://www.sonomanews.com/entertainmen ... VT6KMK3Kas

Behind the music: Josh Yenne
TIM CURLEY
INDEX-TRIBUNE MUSIC WRITER | August 9, 2018
[one photo accompanies this article. Its caption reads: "Josh Jenne at one of the 100 gigs he plays annually"]
Behind the music: Josh Yenne

The Hollywood legend goes something like this: The pretty young woman is working behind the counter at the soda shop, dreamily wiping glassware and minding her own business. A famous, but unrecognizable movie mogul walks in and orders a cola. Instantly struck but the young lass’ beauty, he signs her on the spot for a million dollar contract, and a star is born.

Well, we all know better now.

But something like that really did happened to Sonoma resident Josh Yenne. He was working in Petaluma’s Tall Toad Music store, when in walked some of the members of Mazzy Star, the band known for its 1994 hit “Fade Into You,” who were playing that night at the nearby Mystic Theater. They got to talking, learned that Yenne played pedal steel guitar, and invited him to sit in during sound check. Then they invited him to play at that night’s show.

A week later, he was playing with them at the Coachella Music Festival.

While that is a true story, it is not quite as simple as that. Yenne has been playing music all his life. When not gigging (over 100 shows a year), he is with his wife Rachel at the home they own here in Sonoma. He teaches guitar, still works for Charlie at Tall Toad, and stays very busy with his first love, music.

He has lived in Sonoma County for 18 years, and they bought their home a little more than six years ago. He has been here long enough to land roles in no fewer than four bands. The Sonoma-based bands are the Straw Wattles (guitar and vocals) and Twang Ditty (pedal steel and vocals). A Napa band called Obsidian Son employs him as a bass player. The Misner and Smith band, out of Davis, has him playing both electric guitar and pedal steel.

Mazzy Star is where Yenne hangs his musical hat. He has traveled throughout North America and Europe with them. The band was asked to participate this past June in the Vivid Live Festival in Sydney, Australia. While there, Yenne and Mazzy Star played three nights at the iconic Sydney Opera House. Of the Sydney gig, Yenne said via email, “Truthfully, the shows were great, and it was amazing to look out and know that I was playing probably the most famous music venue in the world.”

Yenne is one of many professional musicians who will occasionally receive calls from artists and producers who need help. That could be in the studio, or it could be on the road. Yenne has filled both roles during his career. When the artist is touring and trying to save a little cash, they simply hire cats like Yenne to fill in. If a producer is looking for a certain sound for a record, Yenne might be that guy.

When asked about his early musical influences, Yenne mentioned, “Improv music like Grateful Dead, Phish, jazz when I was first starting at age 17… along with Beatles, of course.”

He said that his favorite pedal steel player is Lloyd Green. When asked about his favorite solo of Green’s, he named the recording Charlie Pride made called “Live at Panther Hall,” when Green played in Pride’s band. Of Green’s efforts on that record, Yenne points out, “pretty much every note he plays on that live recording is flawless.”
Of course, playing live to an audience is what most musicians live for. Yenne mentioned that he really enjoys playing at SF’s Warfield Theater and LA’s Wiltern Theater. Interestingly, he also said, “Truth of the matter is, though, once you’re actually playing the set you could be anywhere – at least I could.”

Yenne then brought it back home by adding, “I’ve always been heavily into acoustic music… acoustic guitar was and still is my main love above all else. Nothing beats sitting on a Sonoma porch, drinking a good wine, and strumming tunes on a nice guitar. Nope, not even the Sydney Opera house, really!”

Look for Yenne at the next show you attend. He’s the bearded fella holding the Telecaster, with that lucky look on his face.

2018, DEC. 11, BELLA UNION site article with a few QUOTES from HOPE re. her song collab. "Big Boss Man"
with the band Mercury Rev. I like it Hope mentions her cat Herman!

Bella Union is one of two record labels releasing the album.

Two photos accompany the article. one is an artist's rendering of Hope's face (based on Luz Gallardo's photo) superimposed over the album sleeve photo from the Mercury Rev album. The other pic is if the three
members of the band Mercury Rev. Plus the youtube upload of Hope singing Boig Boss Man" is embedded
on the original article' page. Here's the yt link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RhTe6zfoys

http://bellaunion.com/2018/12/mercury-r ... -boss-man/

Mercury Rev and Hope Sandoval share “Big Boss Man”

Having just begun their UK tour, the remaining dates of which are below, Mercury Rev have today shared a new track from The Delta Sweete Revisited – their track-by-track resurrection of Bobbie Gentry’s 1968 long-overlooked masterwork, “The Delta Sweete”.

Hope Sandoval provides vocals to Mercury Rev’s arrangements on “Big Boss Man”, the album’s sensual, proto–feminist highlight. Of the track Sandoval says, “Well, the only boss man in my life is my cat Herman so this song was a bit tricky for me but I am so honoured to have been asked to be a part of this amazing group of women paying tribute to such an inspirational artist. I’ve always been a fan of Mercury Rev and Bobbie Gentry, so needless to say I am over the moon to be a part of this project.”

The Delta Sweete Revisited is out 8th February via Bella Union (Partisan Records in the US). In addition to Sandoval, Mercury Rev are backed on vocals by an unmatched roster of women across a range of genres: Norah Jones, Margo Price, Phoebe Bridgers, Lucinda Williams, Vashti Bunyan, Rachel Goswell (Slowdive), Susanne Sundfør, Lætitia Sadier (Stereolab), Marissa Nadler, Kaela Sinclair (M83) and more.

Originally released at the height of Gentry’s superstardom following her #1 smash “Ode To Billie Joe,” ‘The Delta Sweete’ is an unrestrained statement of empowerment that dips into everything from swamp-rock, R&B-style horns, and orchestral arrangements.‘The Delta Sweete Revisited’is Mercury Rev’s committed and affectionate resurrection of an album that anticipated by three decades their own pivotal expedition through transcendental America, 1998’s ‘Deserter’s Songs.’ Not unlike ‘The Delta Sweete,’ that record merged jazz, folk, and rock with Disney soundtrack fantasia, and heralded Mercury Rev’s rebirth as purveyors of a unique brand of the popular American songbook.

Mercury Rev are currently three dates into a UK tour celebrating the 20th anniversary of their classic album Deserter’s Songs.

Last edited by Hermesacat on Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:56 am, edited 35 times in total.
Hermesacat

Re: Mazzy Star Interviews, 2018 (1 so far)

Postby Emma » Tue May 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks for posting this short interview.
According to this article, David moved back to California. Let's hope this will give them the opportunity to get together more often and release more music! :)
Emma
Site Admin

Re: Mazzy Star Interviews, 2018

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:57 pm

More new 2018 Mazzy Star interviews turned up, a few text ones and two (Australian) radio ones (audio). I'll volunteer to at some point post text versions of all the additional 2018 interviews in this thread. In the mean time, you can find links to those interviews in a different thread, the one entitled "Mazzy Star - New E.P. + live Concerts (Australia, June), 2018." Emma and I posted interview links there. One of the radio sites has removed their interview from their play-on-demand list, as they only keep past shows available for 1-week. I've re-upped that interview to youtube, here: https://youtu.be/Nc-dQonpVDo
Of the two radio interviews, the above one is the longer and better of the two.Hope and David are both more forthcoming in that one. It's the one with host Karen Leng.
Hermesacat

Re: Mazzy Star Interviews, 2018

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 pm

August 9, 2018 ARTICLE / INTERVIEW with Mazzy Star's JOSH YENNE, Sonoma Index-Tribune. Imagine meeting Mazzy Star band members by chance one day in a music store where you work and ending up playing with the band on stage at their local gig that same night. And then joining them for the rest of the same tour! Well, according to this article, that's how Josh suddenly joined Mazzy Star. Quite a tale. I can add this bit of additional info to the article: That gig was Mazzy Star's first show of their 2012 U.S. (California only) tour which was their first tour in about 12 years. It was at Petaluma, California, Mystic Theatre, April 6, 2012. Read the article here:
https://www.sonomanews.com/entertainmen ... ne?sba=AAS
Hermesacat

Re: Mazzy Star + Hope Interviews, 2018

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:29 am

This Dec. 11, 2018 Bellaunion site article about Hope's song collab with Mercury Rev (a Bobbie Gentry cover, "Boss Man") includes new interview quotes from Hope re. the song and forthcoming album it will be on. The album is out Feb. 8, 2019.
http://bellaunion.com/2018/12/mercury-r ... -boss-man/
I'll paste Hope's brief comments in full below:

HOPE QUOTE: "Well, the only boss man in my life is my cat Herman so this song was a bit tricky for me but I am so honoured to have been asked to be a part of this amazing group of women paying tribute to such an inspirational artist. I’ve always been a fan of Mercury Rev and Bobbie Gentry, so needless to say I am over the moon to be a part of this project."

-I lke Hope's amusing quote about her cat Herman!

Hope's version of the song "Boss Man" received an early official yt release today, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RhTe6zfoys
Hermesacat

Re: Mazzy Star + Hope INTERVIEWS, 2018 - 2019, (8, so far)

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:17 pm

Belatedly, I today posted text versions of 8 interviews or material with content that's close enough to
being deemed interview content. These eight all come from the 2018 -2019 period and are all the ones I know of from that recent period, so far. They are all posted in the very first post you'll find in this thread (above). If more interviews turn up, I will add them to that same first post (above) by editing it. I've embedded photos along with the articles' text where the original articles included those same photos.

Here are the eight I've posted above, so far.

-2018, MAY 17, UNCUT mag, MAZZY STAR INTERVIEW
-2018, JUNE 8, MUSIC.COM.AU site, MAZZY STAR INTERV.
-2018, JUNE 12, NEWS.COM.AU site, INTERV. with HOPE all re. the song "Fade Into You"
-2018, JUNE 12, ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corp., Melbourne), Radio INTERV. w. HOPE and DAVID
-2018, JUNE 12, DOUBLE J Radio, Sydney, Radio INTERV. w. HOPE and DAVID
-2018, AUG. 9, SONOMANEWS.COM article re. Mazzy Star's pedal steel player, JOSH YENNE, w. interv. content
-2018, DEC. 11, BELLA UNION site article with a few QUOTES from HOPE re. her song collab. "Big Boss Man"
-2019, JAN. 22, INSTAGRAM VIDEO transcribed. It's a short conversation between SUKI EWERS and JILL EMERY, both veteran band members of Mazzy Star, one current, one former.
Hermesacat

Return to General Discussion