So Tonight That I Might See - Vinyl Reissue

General discussion about Mazzy Star

So Tonight That I Might See - Vinyl Reissue

Postby dyerseve » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:39 pm

Just picked this up today and gave it a spin. In a word: excellent. For those unaware, Capitol Records is reissuing selected albums as part of the 75th Anniversary.

The original insert is inside, but otherwise everything else remains the same. No extras, liner notes, etc.
Would have been great to have had Hope/David participate with the inclusion of some words, but I was just happy to see it reissued after the massively inferior previous reissues.

For as horrifically bad as the Plain Recordings reissues were, this is amazing. Sonically impressive. No cracks or pops. It was a little quieter than expected, so I had to turn up the volume, but that's what the volume knob is for. Nothing to complain about on this glorious piece of wax.

Glad to see this album FINALLY got the reissue it deserved. Highly recommend it to anyone unwilling to shell out the cash for a mint original.
dyerseve

Re: So Tonight That I Might See - Vinyl Reissue

Postby Gastoski_Kowalski » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:27 pm

Good evening, everybody.
I saw that there is this discussion about the reissue of "So Tonight" and I wanted to report
that the Capitol has presented another one in this (sad, for all the Mazzy Star fans) 2020
at the moment it seems only for the European market, in limited edition and purple vinyl

You can currently find several editions of this album, without spending insane amounts of money on a 1993 edition!

I own the European edition of the Capitol for the 180 gram vinyl "Back To Black" series (2017) and, despite the doubts raised by several not exactly positive reviews
(on Discogs more than one commentator tends to review badly the "Back To Black" series)
I feel more than satisfied for the quality of the record itself;

The vinyl has the right weight and balance on the turntable, it has no rustling, or annoying pops and clicks,
the sound is extremely clean and without distortion of any kind,
the only serious note to move is that in my edition (European) there is no inner sleeve, but only the white sleeve,
if I understand correctly the inner is present in the U.S. version that does not seem to enjoy the same quality,
but ultimately, for a price more than honest, any fan takes home a nice copy of this masterpiece. ..
There is of course also the code for the download

Also available is the reissue of "She Hangs Brightly" distributed by Plain Recordings (also in gold vinyl),
but from what I've read the previous reissues of this label don't seem to be particularly good;
I personally own a very good copy made in England and I'm fine with it.
See you soon!
Gastoski_Kowalski

Return to General Discussion