New HS&TWI e.p."Son of a Lady"Sept.15. 4 SONGS OUT NOW

General discussion about Mazzy Star

New HS&TWI e.p."Son of a Lady"Sept.15. 4 SONGS OUT NOW

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:40 pm

So far, I've seen just one reference to it, at a U.K. music retail site (recordstore.co.uk). Here's the site's description, QUOTE:
"Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions Son Of A Lady EP - 10" Single
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions: Son Of A Lady EP
£10.99
Pre-order
Release Date 15 September 2017
Product codeTT04 Format10" Single Label Tendril Tales

Hope Sandoval And The Warm Inventions are Mazzy Star's Hope Sandoval and My Bloody Valentine's Colm Ó Cíosóig. This limited 10" vinyl features new tracks alongside recordings from their 2016 critically acclaimed LP 'Until The Hunter' sessions.

The release includes an acoustic version of their album favourite 'Let Me Get There' featuring Kurt Vile as well as three new tracks Sleep, Son Of A Lady and Antiquity - the latter track being exclusive to the vinyl format.

'Until The Hunter' also featured guest performances from longtime friends and collaborators Dirt Blue Gene, Mariee Sioux, Kurt Vile and the 'Artist General' Michael Masley."
https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordsto ... MDU0000000
Last edited by Hermesacat on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hermesacat

Re: New HS&TWI e.p. "Son of a Lady" out 2017-09-15

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Here's the front cover of the forthcoming Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions e.p., "Son of a Lady," to be released 2017-09-15. I like the psychedelic-ly colourful horse! Someone at the FB group (Christopher Altomare) pointed out Hope was born the year of the Horse of Chinese astrology, and that horses now join cats and swans as animals appearing on album art of Hope recordings. I notice a horse also appears in the mysterious "Tendril Tales" video released in 2016, along with a cat and pics & footage of Hope.
Hermesacat

Re: New HS&TWI e.p. "Son of a Lady" out 2017-09-15

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:50 am

Today, August 14, 2017, Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions released, via youtube & Spotify, one new song from the forthcoming e.p. The song is "Sleep". Spotify's stream (including its free service) has superior audio quality over youtube's (160kbps vs. yt's mediocre 128kbps). And if you subscribe to Spotify (unfortunately I don't), you can stream at an even better quality bit rate, 320kbps. It's not a bad song at all, though for my ears it's more a "good" than a "wow".

The youtube upload includes links to Spotify's page and also an itunes page. But itunes isn't yet selling it, last I checked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ3XnR6Q1TY
https://open.spotify.com/artist/38u18VoGaIwVeSyVoA0eU5
https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/hope ... d321048881
Hermesacat

Re: New HS&TWI e.p."Son of a Lady"Sept.15.One song's out NOW

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:11 pm

SIGNED COPIES of "Son of a Lady" and "Until the Hunter" available for sale.
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/hopesandoval
The site's selling the "Son of a Lady" e.p., plus pledgemusic.com appears to be official distributor chosen by the band to sell Hope S&TWI new official merchandise (tee shirts and tote bags with the same image of Hope as is found on the 2017 tour posters).

It's worth mentioning the site's selling some copies of "Son of a Lady" and "Until the Hunter" vinyl SIGNED by the band. To acquire signed records you need to buy them as part of a package/bundle that includes the two merch items.

I bought the bundle with (signed) "Son of a Lady" with tee & tote bag. Other bundles available with signed records have "Until the Hunter" L.P., or "Until the Hunter" + "Son of a Lady", both. Digital download cards come with each vinyl purchase (whether signed or unsigned), so you'll have access to digital versions of the same songs, presumably including the extra (4th) song "Antiquity" that comes only with the vinyl version of "Son of a Lady." The bundles are very limited in number. The bundles each have just 20+ available (or less) last I checked. So, if you want one, it might be wise to order soon.

Also, here's a new SPIN article: http://www.spin.com/2017/08/hope-sandov ... ep-listen/
with a quote from the band about the title track of the e.p. "Son of a Lady"
Hermesacat

Postby Malavita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:36 am

My "Sleep" first impressions/gushings, having looped it for awhile: I love it for how it accents a certain thread that ran through "Until the Hunter": intimate, unadorned, and folkish-- palette similar to the "The Hiking Song," "Isn't it True" and "I Took a Slip" triad that comes at the end of the LP.
I also dig that the glockenspiel's prominent in the mix and how Hope's voice reaches that darker-timbred lower depth of her range (at least that's how I hear it, on the "Sleep sleep" and "Weep weep" parts.
Malavita

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:28 pm

Following on Malavita's comment re. "Sleep," its simple guitar chord strums sound quite pleasing to my ears and help create the song's mood in a way more flashy guitar might not. I wonder if it might even be Hope on guitar. In a Facebook comment, Keith Mitchell once "outed" Hope as playing guitar on Mazzy Star's 2011 "Common Burn" song recording, though this fact was not revealed in the record's credits. I also noticed in a Harp Mag. interview, Winter 2002 edition, Hope mentions she plays guitar on some tracks on Bavarian Fruit Bread. We just don't know which ones! She may play more guitar parts on recordings than she lets on.
Hermesacat

Re: New HS&TWI e.p."Son of a Lady"Sept.15. 3 SONGS OUT NOW

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:20 pm

The three-song version of the Son of a Lady e.p., officially released today, Sept. 15, 2017, is now streamable on Spotify. And digital retailers are now selling downloads. Bonus 4th song, "Antiquity," vinyl purchasers are to receive I haven't received yet either as vinyl or digital versions as I await my vinyl order's arrival. The title song, Son of a Lady, is most unusual sounding of the three to my ears, with the cello combined with the other instruments being quite appealing, & may be my fave of the three. https://open.spotify.com/album/56ob2murbcdKVN1AfLrb1l

You need to sign up with Spotify though and download their player, which may sound like a pain, but I've gotten to like it. When I play audio streams through a browser page, I get occasional audio dropouts on my laptop, but I never hear interruptions (except ads!) on Spotify 'cause their player links directly to the net and not via a browser. Spotify's sound quality (including the free version with ads) is better than YT's and most other free services.
Hermesacat

Re: New HS&TWI e.p."Son of a Lady"Sept.15. 3 SONGS OUT NOW

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:17 pm

If you're curious about "ANTIQUITY," the bonus 4th song from the Son Of a Lady e.p., the extra song which comes with purchase of the 10" vinyl "exclusively," I found a site where you can hear Antiquity in its entirety. It's from a legit site, not a bootlegger.
http://www.juno.co.uk/products/hope-san ... 660066-01/
I don't think digital retailers or streaming services are legally allowed to sell or stream that particular song, otherwise it wouldn't be "exclusive" to the vinyl purchase, would it?

But this U.K. vinyl retailer, Juno Records, selling the 10" record lets potential buyers listen to samples of all four songs, including "Antiquity." You can actually hear the whole song there, but there's a catch. You can't play the whole song through uninterrupted. The site has a generous, designated 2-minute long sample of Antiquity that runs from about the 2:50 mark to 4:50 of the 7+ minute long song. But the site allows you to hear all other sections of the song too, but only in 30 second samples at a time. Then it automatically switches you to a sample of the next song (Son Of a Lady).

When you select "Antiquity" from Juno's main page to hear its sample, a separate, small pop-up player window appears. The player shows a graph of that entire 7+ minute song. It automatically starts playing at 2:50 where the designated sample starts. But you can pause the stream and click at the beginning of the song's graph which starts the song at its beginning, instead. It will play the first 30 seconds then switch to the next song. Once it switches, you want to go to the main page again and click on "Antiquity" again so "Antiquity" will again appear in the pop up player. This time, try to find where the song left off last time (at approx. 0.30) and start it from there so you get to hear the next 30 sec. section. You can click on different points of the graph till you get the start point you want. You can continue this process till you've heard all sections of the song.

If you're quick with your clicks and are keeping track of the time, you can avoid the switch to the next song by clicking on the graph before the 30 seconds are up.That way, you'll start a new 30 sec. segment without the switch to the next song happening.

Okay, granted it's a complicated and very NON-IDEAL way to try to listen to a song! But if you're curious about the song as I was, it's cool enough, imo, to be able to check out what the whole song sounds like from a legit site, even if you have to listen via chopped up bits!

Those who've already obtained a copy of the vinyl don't need to bother with such inconvenience, but I was curious to hear the song sooner rather than later. I didn't want to wait two more weeks before my signed copy of the vinyl arrives from Pledge Music (they estimate a Sept. 30 delivery).

Someone might upload the song to youtube before then, or may bootleg it. I believe in supporting the band, but I'd listen to a bootleg without qualms since I've already paid for the vinyl and digital legit release. But I prefer to not have to wait WEEKS before I get to hear my purchased version if I can hear it sooner.

...Now about the song itself, "Antiquity" has a different sound and mood than the rest of the e.p. While the other 3 songs are quieter and more subdued, Antiquity is more upbeat & gets & stays quite loud, especially in the second half of the song. I like it, and am glad I got to hear it "early" - even if it's all chopped up!
Hermesacat

Re: New HS&TWI e.p."Son of a Lady"Sept.15. 4 SONGS OUT NOW

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:30 am

Here's ANTIQUITY, the elusive bonus fourth song from the Son Of A Lady e.p. now on youtube.
https://youtu.be/bfxpP3iY8BQ
I suggested earlier at the FB fan Group someone with the song might try putting it on yt. Now that I have the song, I'm taking my own advice. It upped successfully today to one of my yt Channels which means youtube's scanning computers checked it out & decided it's okay to put on yt. There are no flags placed on it by copyright holders to block it from being uploaded.

On the other hand, this song doesn't yet trigger a copyright claim at yt. There's usually a copyright claim on yt uploads by copyright holders on released songs. Youtube's computers ascertain who copyright holders are as soon as one uploads music. Most of my Mazzy Star & Hope uploads are of live versions of released songs with copyright claims, so my uploads generate ad revenue for copyright holders. Since yt reportedly doesn't pay all that generously though, I like to joke revenue from my uploads might help Hope buy a little cat food for her cat! Oh, well.

Well, hopefully the band will soon get around to registering "Antiquity" with yt so they can start earning "cat food money" from it there. In the mean time, it's not blocked, so seems okay to upload.

I recall Johnny Spinasanto of the FB fan Group made & put on his yt Channel a vinyl rip of HS&TWI's vinyl-only 2016 Record Day release single "Isn't it True/She's in the Wall" April, 2016. Apparently Hope & co.
didn't mind as HS&TWI's own official FB page featured Johnny's yt upload in a FB post there.
So, hopefully they won't mind my upload either.

This audio file must be recorded from the vinyl rather than from an original digital file as one can hear a few tell-tale pops and scratches from record grooves. The sound of this song is a departure for HS&TWI's. I call it "HS&TWI's meets My Bloody Valentine" (Colm's other band)! But Dave Brennan (not Kevin Shields) is credited (in some article I saw) with playing the (noisy) guitar on it. Brennan's a member of both Dirt Blue Gene & The Warm Inventions. A post at HS&TWI's official Facebook page says "Antiquity" was recorded at Santo Studio (Oakland, CA).

Lyrics seem hard to discern in this song as they're a bit muddied in the mix. Too bad Hope doesn't include lyrics texts with her releases. She keeps us guessing some times.

The sound on "Antiquity" is a departure for HS&TWI's. I like to call it "HS&&TWI's meets My Bloody Valentine" (Colm's other band)!

Btw, the source for the "Antiquity" song file I uploaded has a story behind. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for the e.p. I purchased (the 10" which includes "Antiquity") from Pledge Music to be delivered, & I expect it may not arrive till October. Since I couldn't find an intact file of Antiquity any where (while waiting impatiently for my purchased one to arrive), and since people at the FB fan group who had already received "Antiquity" in their order, were not in a hurry to share despite my request - I decided to create my own song file by using Audacity (free) audio software to record brief samples of the song from the Juno Records site (see prior comment in this thread) and edit and join song samples together. I did that, and the result turned out very well. The reassembled song file is complete and plays perfectly. Its bit rate is 128 kbps MP3 as that's the stream rate Juno Records uses.

Thanks go to Juno Records for providing all the raw material for my DIY project, and to Audacity open source software for allowing me to record, edit, and join song segments so precisely I can't even tell where the "seams" were, or that the song was ever in a dozen-and-a-half pieces that didn't fit together until they were edited. And thankfully I have time on my hands enough this week I could devote an entire long day to the slow job of recording, editing, and joining all those separate song segments into an restored, intact song file that plays uninterruptedly. Since I'm a sharer by nature, I'm also glad I get to share my successfully reassembled file with other fans.

Of the four songs on the e.p., Son Of A Lady & Antiquity are my faves. Such a good song deserves to be heard in better audio quality than youtube's & Juno's mediocre 128 kbps bit rate, don't you think? So, do support the band and go buy the 10" vinyl version of the e.p. which also comes with a download card for high quality digital versions of the four songs. The 10" vinyl is a limited edition, so you'll also be acquiring a nice collector's item. Lots of record retailers are selling it, I believe.
Hermesacat

Return to General Discussion