2017 LIVE GIGS: HS&TWI,+Mazzy Star,+Hope w. Acetone,+PHOTOS

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: Hope Sandoval&TWI's TOUR,OCT.2017+Hope w.Acetone 2017-11

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:28 am

Youtube live VIDEO uploads of what look to be the whole set (8 songs) in 8 separate song clips of the Hope S&TWI JOSHUA TREE, DESERT DAZE fest appearance, Oct. 15, 2017 are up on yt at the yt Channel of razorstarzz.
Here's the link to pt. 1 (of 8), "Salt of The Sea": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOwOCca6Hro

I've made my own "custom" VIDEO version of the show by downloading razorstarzz' 8 videos, joining them together into one continuous video, and improving both the image and sound quality. I did an image stabilization repair to lessen wobble/shake,and made EQ adjustments to help bring Hope's voice out more clearly. Her voice is more muffled in the original recording. Plus I lowered volume of crowd noise in between songs. I'm not planning on putting my own video version on yt but have added it to the boots list thread here as a downloadable video file, here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/4lc9vlu ... 0songs.zip
In the folder, I've included many photos, plus two journalist reviews of the Desert Daze set.
Hermesacat

Re: Hope S&TWI's TOUR,OCT.2017+Hopew.AcetoneNov.15,+Mazzy No

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:46 pm

What an eventful day Nov. 30, 2017 was for Hope and Mazzy fans, with TWO significant events.
Mazzy Star played their first public show since 2013 for a benefit for the Esperanza Clinic in San Francisco.
Their set was just 21 minutes long, reportedly. So short! Oh, well, it's good they played, at least. I fear the show could be a one-off, a rarity, and maybe they won't play again in public for years. Who knows?

I know of at least two audio recordings of the show that were made by people intending to share. So, if all goes well we'll likely get a chance to hear the show soon. I don't yet know what songs they played. I learned via the FB fan group The band last night was a six piece with Suki, Colm on drums, and two others who were unidentified.
.................................................................................................................
The second event of Nov. 30 was NYC radio station WFUV posted on their web site a radio broadcast of a Hope Sandoval and The Warm Inventions radio studio session. It was recorded Oct. 24, two days after the Oct. tour ended (in NYC), but was not broadcast or made available for stream-on-demand till yesterday, Nov. 30.
The 32+ minute session has 3 live songs played: Suzanne, Day Disguise, and Let Me Get There, by HS&TWI as a 3-piece band with just Hope, Colm, and guitarist Dave Brennan.

There is large amount of interview content. In fact, most of the recording is made up of interview segments with Hope and Colm. You can stream the broadcast on demand here: http://www.wfuv.org/content/hope-sandov ... tions-2017
I've also recorded the stream and have made separate tracks of the songs and interview segments I'll add to the Boots list here some time soon. Since I'm archiving texts of interviews here, I'll make a transcript of the interview audio nd add it to the 2016-17 interviews thread.

That radio station also uploads many of their live sessions with bands as video versions too. Their yt Channel is full of such videos. Video of Hope S&TWI's' session isn't yet available last I checked, but with luck we'll see a video version of the same session soon!
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:06 am

Here's my yt upload of Mazzy Star's 2017-11-30 live set they played in San Francisco, Terra Gallery for a benefit for the Esperanza community clinic. Very well recorded set. They played just 4 songs:
01 Lay Myself Down
02 Fade Into You
03 Look On Down From The Bridge
04 Bells Ring

The band included Colm on drums, Suki Ewers on keys and guitar, Josh Yenne on steel guitar, and Paul Mitchell (Keith's son) on bass and violin. The band would have done well to have added a talented steel guitar player to their 1990s era live bands because it adds a lot to their live sound, imo. Josh plays on all 4 songs.
https://youtu.be/6xSc5druixc
I've added a DL link for the audio file in FLAC format to the boots list thread .
Hermesacat

Postby Emma » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Hermesacat wrote:Here's my yt upload of Mazzy Star's 2017-11-30 live set they played in San Francisco, Terra Gallery for a benefit for the Esperanza community clinic.

Thanks for posting a link to this rare performance. This is the first time I hear pedal steel guitar on Bells Ring and I love it :)
Emma
Site Admin

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 am

Emma: Thank goodness that one-off Mazzy Star benefit show did get recorded & shared. My pessimistic streak had me concerned it might not get recorded. Not only does steel guitar suit Bells Ring (I agree with you) and many other Mazzy songs, but Josh plays it so well. He turns the instrument into an emotive voice as Hope does with her human voice. If only I lived in SF I could likely get to hear him play in his local traditional C & W band he's in there. That too I'd love to hear.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:21 pm

A good quality recording of the first show of the Oct., 2017 tour turned up:
Hope Sandoval and The Warm Inventions - 2017-10-08, Sonoma, CA, Gundlach Bundschu Winery, FLAC
Thanks got to dimeadozen.org member "muchmusic" for recording and sharing this show there.
Check the boots list thread for a download link to the audio file. I've also upped the show to youtube, here:
https://youtu.be/BWqi8oIpeoo
It was an unusual show as the the open redwood barn venue was hit by a serious wind/dust storm during the show that filled the venue with dust (fine sand,etc.), plus there was a power outage that stopped the show temporarily.
The band didn't know it at the time, but the wind storm was fanning flames of nearby wildfires that would endanger their own tour bus later that same night.

Hope is unusually talkative during this show and has some lines lines that prove Hope can be a funny comedian on stage sometimes!
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:29 am

Jim Lee recorded the Acetone with Hope show 2017-11-15 in L.A . at the Zebulon Cafe and generously shared his recording with me. I'm further sharing on his behalf. Thank you Jim!
I have two youtube uploads, one of just Hope's 3-song, 23 minutes long set, and a second upload of the entire Acetone show, 1 hr., 32 mins., also with Hope's set. Hope sings 3 Acetone songs originally recorded in the 1990s, "Always Late," "Pinch" & "Louise."
https://youtu.be/WfxuP_7b-20
https://youtu.be/mV1EOu4SJpM

Btw, the audio files I shared earlier from this show with a few people need to be trashed (deleted). There was something wrong with those first files. These new ones are repaired ones (see the Bootlegs list for new download links for repaired audio files). The original files I received on CDR from Jim played way slow (flat) compared to audio from the numerous video clips from the show that turned up on Instagram and yt. Using Audacity software, I made careful measurements and comparisons. It turned out Jim's files played consistently 8+% slower (flat) than any of the videos' audio. I corrected the speed and pitch using Audacity. I got to like the sound of the flat versions, but the songs sound even better now, closer to the correct speed and pitch!
Hermesacat

Previous

Return to General Discussion