2017 LIVE GIGS: HS&TWI,+Mazzy Star,+Hope w. Acetone,+PHOTOS

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: Hope Sandoval&TWI's TOUR,2017,TEN Oct. Shows+ONE Nov. sh

Postby drugstore » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:07 am

Click and use the magnifier to enlarge - Emma

A little information about this photo Emma posted before. Actually it was taken in DC and the guy in the photo runs HW&TWI's official site. You can find this pic on their official site.
drugstore

Postby drugstore » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:10 am

OMG...How could I know whether the size of the pics fit or not before I post it? :oops: Since it seems that once I post it it cannot be edited by myself.
drugstore

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Oh, that's Colin who does such a mediocre job (imo) running Hope's official site? And he looks like he has Vulcan ears like Mr. Spock in that pic!
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Here's a link to a section at the site of Hope's husband (artist) Barry Bodeker devoted to his slide show/stage projection he did for the October tour.
https://barrybodeker.myportfolio.com/stage
The section includes some nice Luz Gallardo stage photos of the band and of the projected images. Plus there's an unusual video 1.5 minutes long of Hope & the band on stage, not playing, but just standing there while Barry runs his projection images. It was evidently shot just to demonstrate the projection imagery.
Check out the other sections at the same site under "Projects" that show his impressive artwork he's done for all Hope Sandoval and The Warm Inventions record sleeves of recent years, plus his cat cover for Mazzy Star's "Seasons..." album.

I much like the "psychedelic" landscapes and the shape-shifting cat woman of the stage projections of the tour. It's the straight Victorian era portraits that were less appealing.
Last edited by Hermesacat on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermesacat

Postby Emma » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:56 pm

drugstore wrote:A little information about this photo Emma posted before. Actually it was taken in DC and the guy in the photo runs HW&TWI's official site. You can find this pic on their official site.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that the guy I cut out of the photo was Colin from hopesandoval.com.

drugstore wrote:OMG...How could I know whether the size of the pics fit or not before I post it? :oops: Since it seems that once I post it it cannot be edited by myself.

The window where you compose your post includes a "Preview" button (next to the Submit button") that enables you to see what your post will look like before submitting it. It will display your formatted post with the pictures you've imbedded. You can then determine if you have to resize your pictures. Unfortunately, this board doesn't handle big pictures properly. If it's too complicated for you to resize pictures, never mind; I'll do it for you. ;)
If you want to edit a post you've already submitted, there is an "Edit" button in the upper right corner of any of your posts. You have to be logged to see it.
Emma
Site Admin

Postby Emma » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Hermesacat wrote:[Later edit: Site member "drugstore" shared some convincing evidence with me via FB message suggesting the cat shown above from the "Tendril Tales" video is in fact Hope's handsome cat Herman ( a grey with black stripes tabby, with bits of white on him also), as is this other cat from Mazzy Star's "I'm Less Here" video.

Cute cat! Is it really Herman? I thought that the two cats that made a special appearance in the "I'm Less Here" video were Poppo and Loto, as mentioned in the Credits section of Ben Smith's website:
http://xlvi.me/Mazzy-Star-I-m-Less-Here
I'm confused... Too many cats to keep track of! :)

On a more serious note, you can check out Ben Smith's site to get a description of the "Let Me Get There" and the "I'm Less Here" videos. Ben Smith co-directed these videos.
http://xlvi.me/Hope-Sandoval-Let-Me-Get-There
"Let Me Get There
A creepy, dreamlike music video for Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions' "Let Me Get There", featuring Kurt Vile. Incorporating a series of stylized clay heads and inspired by the visual aesthetic of Maya Deren, the video is a slow and somber companion to the song."

http://xlvi.me/Mazzy-Star-I-m-Less-Here
I'm Less Here
"A dreamy, psychadelic music video for "I'm Less Here" by Mazzy Star."
Emma
Site Admin

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:41 am

Emma: Though those names in those credits sound like possible cat names, they're not ID-ed as cats in the credits, and maybe Poppo & Loto refer to non-cats-? Or maybe I'm mistaken, as I could have sworn the cats I took screen shots of from those two videos resemble Herman due to evidence I'm not at liberty to divulge, as I'm sworn to secrecy!

Thanks for those links, Emma, Emma and drugstore: you are both incredible detectives, following leads online and finding amazing info. In contrast, I do almost zero detective work. I'm totally lazy. Mostly all I do is check my Twitter search now & then for "Hope Sandoval - latest", and check emailed results of my google alerts for "Hope Sandoval" and "Mazzy Star." I don't go find info, I let it come to me - except I'm obviously missing a lot by being lazy! I've also started searching Instagram too by the method Emma told me... You detectives should post more of the results of your sleuthing here!

I wondered how drugstore knew the guy in the DC pic next to Hope is Colin because the photo is uncaptioned at hopesandoval.com. But when I searched "Hope Sandoval" at Instagram I saw the photo again but linked to Colin's Instagram page where it is captioned: "Thursday night with my favorite silver throated angel"
https://www.instagram.com/cfcushing/
Sorry Colin, but the photo looks much more appealing with you cropped out if it!
Last edited by Hermesacat on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Emma: What happened to your FB account I knew from the FB Group, I wonder? You used to be on my "Friends" list, but I don't see you there now, and can't find your account when I search the group. Is that account gone?
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:22 pm

[First Hand Account of the October, 2017 Sonoma Fires, including an account of attending HOPE SANDOVAL AND THE WARM INVENTIONS' Oct.8 SONOMA gig at the time the fires were starting up there. Plus HS&TWI's' own encounter with the fires]
Stories from Sonoma: A Land on Fire, by Karen Cadow, Fri, 11/10/2017
[Excerpts]:

"...Weather forecasts high winds tonight. It’s so dry, hope nothing bad happens.
Sunday night, Oct. 8, 2017: We pile into PPI’s Ford Expedition, aka Death Star, and head to Gundlach Bundschu Winery to the sold-out HOPE SANDOVAL AND THE WARM INVENTIONS. I haven’t smelled so much pot smoke since 1970 when I was at SUNY New Paltz. Charlie and I set our camp chairs outside the venue by a tall wooden fence. Wind blows, fence looks unstable, we move our chairs, the band plays, wind increases. Crash. A section of fence disintegrates, landing by my feet. Wind gusts to 25 mph, 30, we’re pelted by clouds of choking dust, grit and leaves; it obscures the stage, blows into wine glasses, eyes, ears, teeth. Power goes out — a tree must have fallen on a wire. Technicians rig a generator, band returns, I join Rachel and Josh inside for the encore; my chair blows away. I close my eyes. Incredible music like a freight train, thunder, all-encompassing [the song "Antiquity"?].

We regroup by the gatepost, the corner fence collapses, barely missing Rachel’s head. Rachel and Josh go backstage. My hair is stiff, thick and gritty; I disentangle a four inch twig and several holly leaves. Rachel navigates down the mountain around downed limbs; the wind shoves the truck sideways. A branch crashes onto the windshield, five voices say “Holy shit!” At 11:30 Jim texts Rachel a photo of his neighbor’s house in Napa. It’s on fire. Wind blows all night, so do sirens.

...I ask about an image of boiling wine flowing down a hillside. Why did some of the wine cellars burn if they were in hillside caves? Oh, the doors are wooden. Have you heard if BR Cohn burned? How about Little Vineyards? Harlan? Gundlach Bundschu’s homestead burned but the winery and redwood barn didn’t. HOPE'S TOUR BUS drove through the fire, flames licking at the bus and the gear trailer. We look at aerial photos of state parks where Jack had recorded bird songs. All burned. What wildlife could have survived?

(Ed. note: In October, a series of wildfires in five California counties destroyed more than 3,500 buildings, torched more than 170,000 acres of land, and killed at least 41 people, with hundreds more missing. Block Island resident Karen Cadow
LeRoy was out visiting her daughter at the time, and sent in this first-hand account].I've pasted excerpts above from a longer piece that's a first hand account of the Sonoma fires the author experienced over a one week period in the area. The link has the rest.
http://www.blockislandtimes.com/article ... fire/51109
Also, here's an excerpt from an Oct. 20, 2017 WBUR interview with Hope & Colm where they describe their own encounter with the Sonoma fires, QUOTE:
"The quintet kicked [off] their U.S. tour in Sonoma, California, at the Gundlach Bundschu Winery on Oct. 8. The gig went fine
[other sources say the open door Red Barn venue at the winery was hit inside by a wind and dust storm and had a power outage mid-set]
'We got on our bus and we took off and were headed toward Portland,' says drummer-songwriter Colm Ó Cíosóig, on the phone from Philadelphia, 'and because we were in wine country we went down some small roads. We heard there was a fire nearby and we saw some fires on the ridge, but we didn’t know. We turned the corner and the fires were right there and we drove pretty much directly into the fires. It was quite terrifying. It was like a hurricane, all these strong winds going crazy. I guess the winds whipped it up.
We had no choice but to reverse out of it. The tour bus and the trailer was wobbling and you could see the fire chasing us back out of there. It was pretty terrifying. We were getting ready to just dump the bus and run for our lives.'

At the [Seattle] gig, [three] nights later, Sandoval was still so shaken she left the stage after six songs. She and the band returned after nearly an hour to finish the set. 'Yeah, it was horrifying, what was going on,' Sandoval says, during a joint interview with her Warm Inventions partner. She lives in Berkeley — as Ó Cíosóig had done once as her roommate. 'Those are our neighbors. It’s heartbreaking, all of these people. The winery we played survived it, thank God, but a lot of people lost their homes.' http://www.wbur.org/artery/2017/10/20/h ... inventions
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Another show from the 2017 tour, Oct. 21, BOSTON, has been added to the boots list and is available
as a yt upload here: https://youtu.be/D7y03eIba3A
FB fan Group member Mark Blair (his name at this site is "jamband") recorded the show and wanted it shared with other fans. The 2013 Boston Mazzy Star show findable at yt and in the boots list is also Mark's recording.

That's 5 out of 10 October, 2017 tour shows we now have full-show recordings of. Not a bad ratio. Thanks go to all the recorders of shows who have generously shared their recordings so we other fans could hear and enjoy them!

[Side note: Glenn, the main administrator (founder) at the FB fan Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/6071129794/ asked me today to become a co-administrator at that Group. I've been happy just being a contributor of content there, just as I've been quite happy being one here, but I said yes to Glenn since he asked me. So, now I'm the fifth admin over there - as if four were not enough already! The only times over there I've wished I'd possessed admin authority is some times when members broke the rule about staying on topic by making new posts unrelated to Mazzy Star, Hope, etc. Such posts seem to happen there a bit more often than here since there are close to 3K members in that Group. Such off-topic posts annoy me, so now instead of having to wait for an admin to see and delete them, I can "zap" them on sight myself! This is a good thing].
Hermesacat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion