Band FACEBOOK pages, & other sites, Official & otherwise

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: FACEBOOK pages, & other sites, Official & otherwise

Postby KoalaCub9 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:31 am

Who, living in America anywhere near this time frame, never watch Kung Fu, David Carradine, or Bruce Lee? It IS okay to stray from the Mazzy Star narrative some of the time. :D
KoalaCub9

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:19 am

Well, I can't claim I never SAW the Kung Fu show. I saw a few episodes. By "never watched," I meant I never made a point of tuning in to watch it, as I was never a fan. I used to attend a repertory theater regularly where they often showed trailers for Bruce Lee movies. I may have even caught a complete Bruce Lee movie on one of their triple bills, who knows? So, I did see Mr. Lee in action, but never made a point of watching his films and was never a fan. I live in The Americas (plural), specifically North America (singular) the continent, NOT America the country, which I now refer to as Trumpland! Good luck down there! I may be compelled to visit Trumpland if Hope plays Seattle but not across the border in Vancouver. I must say though, as I've written elsewhere, Seattle had the best audience one could wish for when I saw Mazzy Star there in 2013. It would be worth the day trip again!
Hermesacat

Postby KoalaCub9 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:43 am

To be precise, you said you never watched, acted like you didn't know it was a David Carradine show, and said it "sounds" like he was a step up from Bruce Lee. He wasn't, and of course Lee was still coming into his own, but the voice overs to his low budget films were not too hot. Anyway, that post was not my hottest attempt at humor or widsom, but not my worst either!

The Hillary Trump hysteria is still at monumental levels. I think America (the country) is going to survive, at least as well as had Hillary come aboard. I'm sure I am sexist and homophobic though for not buying into her image. Canada will continue to tune in with baited breath. :twisted:
KoalaCub9

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:54 pm

Well, David Carridine's show was sleeping in far reaches of my memory, & didn't come back to me until your follow up post. As for American politics, instead of me commenting further, I'll let Hope comment here, instead!
This comes from a November, 2016 interview with Blitz magazine (Portuguese), and is my attempt at translation from Portuguese to English. These were her pre-election comments.

QUOTE: "What are we supposed to feel? It is frightening. But it is always like that. I don't believe
that much has changed. Generally, the candidates all have scary skeletons in the closet.
I think the majority of Americans do not believe in any of the candidates.
We have that feeling of: let us see what happens! It probably won't be good.
It's like Disneyland on steroids. And people love Disneyland, that is funny."

-I'd be curious to know how Hope actually voted after reading such a comment. Green Party, maybe?
Hermesacat

Postby KoalaCub9 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:25 am

Jill Stein was the only sane sounding, intelligent candidate. But there are a lot of intelligent, sane people in the world. None of them find their way into the popular mix because, I suppose, what Chomsky would call manufactured consent. The elitism is firmly entrenched and would not give up their reigns readily. What we probably have is another color of the same stripe in office, albeit (possibly) with less chance of there being nuclear war. So for that let us celebrate!

"Embrace hope, it will become part of your being. Embrace despair, and it will become part of your destiny." - Kwai Chang Caine
KoalaCub9

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:17 am

I've voted Green Party many times, as voting for mainstream parties here has too often left me wishing later I could rescind my vote. What ever one thinks of Chomsky's politics, he does his homework, is an impressive and informed analyst, and for that reason alone should be a guest on every MSM network to help give viewers a clue as to what is actually happening in this world in reality.

The Queen of England (& the Commonwealth) is Head of State of Canada and although the British monarchy is an elite institution, l think I'd STILL prefer Queen Elizabeth as our Head of State than having President Trump as my Head of State!

God Save the Queen. (Amen).
Hermesacat

Postby KoalaCub9 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:18 am

Trump will be a figure head, just like all US presidents, falling somewhere between Reagan, Bush and Obama. Each practicing a different version of neoliberalism and neoconservatist politics. I think I prefer pseudo-democracy over blatant monarchy, because in a monarchy the leader is worshiped even more. The difference between Hillary and Trump is that Hillary wants to line her own and her affiliate's pockets, whereas Trump doesn't mind lining his own pockets but it's a matter of "sound business" choices, whatever that might mean to him.

One day we will learn that no rulers are the best rulers. And then as for the queen....off with her head!
KoalaCub9

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:50 pm

Okay, I feel I myself digressed enough in this thread, by now -- except maybe to add: It's probably just as well Mazzy Star and Hope don't choose to write political songs!
Hermesacat

Postby KoalaCub9 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Yeah? I think they should do a song about waterboarding or the School of Americas.
KoalaCub9

Re: Band FACEBOOK pages, & other sites, Official & otherwise

Postby Emma » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:06 pm

Star Gazing is a blog mainly dedicated to Mazzy Star/Hope Sandoval.
It also covers Mazzy Star related bands, such as My Bloody Valentine.
Here's the description of the blog's content:

Here you will find, amongst other things, Reviews of some of the latest releases, lesser known videos and photos of Mazzy Star and Hope Sandoval,regular blog updates, a complete list of all the known shoegaze and dreampop artists out there (as many as possible anyway), the latest news on Mazzy Star, a History of the band and band members and lots more.

https://stargazingmusic.wordpress.com/
Emma
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion