New INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016-17 [TWENTY SIX,so far]

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: new INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016 [so far TWENTY]

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:55 am

2017, Jan. 2, SWENCH site ARTICLE/INTERVIEW w. Hope & Colm, by Eamon Sweeney. [This is "part 2" to Eamon Sweeney's Nov. 28, 2016 Irish Times interview (see earlier post at this site). Here he adds more interview and article content he didn't have room for in his original Irish Times one]
https://swench.net/2017/01/02/musical-martellos/
I wonder if this Swench.net one is maybe the "last gasp" for 2016 interviews-? Well, it's good the Inventive pair have made themselves so available to the media for this album. They've been pleasingly talkative!
Hermesacat

Re: New INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016 [TWENTY-ONE,so far]

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:34 pm

I might have been willing to bet money the Hope & Colm interview period was likely over by now, but the Inventive pair still have new interviews coming out. A new one turned up yesterday at the L.A. RECORD mag. site (text & pic from it posted above in this thread).

2017, JAN., L.A. RECORD mag., Issue 126. INTERVIEW w. HOPE & COLM. The interview has one illustration (by artist Bijou Karman) and two text pages. You can also view the magazine online here: https://issuu.com/larecord/docs/la_record_126_web
From the web page above you can easily download the entire 64 page mag for free as a PDF file to your own device by clicking on the word "download" (in small letters) just under the mag page. Ignore other "Download" buttons elsewhere on the page in larger letters. Those are for some commercial thing.

Finally, something I've been looking forward to happening, happened this time: The interviewer got Hope speaking at some length about cats, including her own. She only has one but dreams of being a crazy cat lady some day with a whole house full! Ha ha.

HOPE QUOTE: "I wish I could have a cat collection. That’s my fantasy. I’d be the crazy lady on the block with all the cats. I only allow myself one cat but I fantasize about having loads."

She talks about her own cat:

HOPE QUOTE: "And I can barely handle the one cat. I didn’t tell you, Colm,
but he didn’t come home until three in the morning. I couldn’t sleep all
night and finally I heard his little door and I went to open the little
door and he walks in and he’s limping. He is ok. He’s sleeping now and I’m
just debating whether I should take him to the vet. He’s one of those cats
who is just a fighter. He thinks he’s in charge of the whole neighborhood
so he’s constantly getting into fights and this will be, like, the fifth
time I’ve taken him to the vet and at this point they’ll probably call child
services on me. It’s just strange. He’s a fighter."

I once had a cat like Hope's who was the neighborhood tough-guy-cat who would beat up other cats he encountered . He would come home with scratches on his nose sometimes but I knew the cats he beat up had gotten the worst of it. He was mean to other cats and I didn't like his fighter disposition. Unfortunately, he disappeared one day, never to return. He was a tom cat and I learned from that experience to in future always have male cats neutered because neutered cats are less aggressive, less likely to wander, less likely to spray in the house, and are generally better suited to city life with humans.

If I was interviewer, I'd want to ask Hope a bunch of band(s) history questions to clarify or elaborate some facts about her musical history. And I'd want to ask her questions about cats and her history as a cat person!

Another interesting thing in the L.A. Record interview is Colm says his move to Ireland is not a permanent one and he plans on spending time living in the San Francisco area again. And he says he has a cabin north of the city he likes. (In a few interviews the two mentioned enjoying playing & recording in a rural cabin in the area).
Hermesacat

Re: New INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016-17 [TWENTY TWO,so fa

Postby Malavita » Thu May 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Killed my Facebook, so I didn't see the post earlier this month-- Hope is interviewed by her sometimes collaborator Charlotte Courbe in the latest issue of So It Goes: http://www.soitgoesmag.com/issue-9/issu ... 20sandoval

I've never heard of So It Goes, and I can't find a way to view it online. If anyone gets it, please scan and post.

P.S. Are they gonna tour?
Malavita

Postby Hermesacat » Thu May 04, 2017 8:17 pm

A new (April, 2017) interview with Hope from So It Goes mag. has been posted in this thread above. Scroll through to the end of the first post in this thread where all the interviews have been assembled together in one long post.

Four weeks ago, Hope left a message via her official HS&TWI FB page the UK mag was coming out with an interview with Hope conducted by Hope's friend Charlotte "Courbe" (Charlotte Marionneau) of Le Volume Courbe (Charlotte's music project). An excellent interview.

Hope gives long, thoughtful responses to Charlotte's questions, And there's lots of new info & Hope stories in it I'd not read before. And Charlotte's intro she wrote re. her twenty-year friendship with Hope is lovely to read. There are three pages of photos contributed by Hope, one of which has photos that haven't appeared before, as far as I know. That page contains what look to be six (undated) screen shots from a (fuzzy) video from earlier years of Hope & Charlotte together on a city street. Nice.

The mag's only available in hard copy and isn't cheap (especially with the current British pound-Canadian dollar exchange rate!) but it's not a bad price for what you get. It's 368 pages long & 3/4" thick! It's ike 5 mags in one. The photography throughout is mostly first rate and printed in high-res on quality paper. I scanned pages from my own copy of the mag & embedded photos from them in the article posted here above. At the end of the interview text above I left a link where you can view & download all 6 scanned pages (3 of text, plus 3 of photos)

I just wish the Hope interview was longer! But there are two long, full pages of interview, plus Charlotte's half-page long intro. Hope's friends should interview her more often! It made for a good interview in this case.
Last edited by Hermesacat on Thu May 04, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hermesacat

Postby Malavita » Thu May 04, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks as always for your contributions, Hermesacat!
Malavita

Re: New INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016-17 [TWENTY THREE,so

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:37 pm

Oct. 20, 2017: Check the long, ever growing first post in this thread, the one that contains ALL the interviews one after the other. i add new ones by editing that one post over and over. Hope & Colm have a new, long interview out today. Glad they took time out from touring duties mid-tour to give an interview.
Hermesacat

Re: New INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016-17 [TWENTY THREE,so

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:22 pm

2017, Oct. 6 Hope Sandoval and Colm O’Cíosóig’s Significant Favorites

[a PLAYLIST chosen and submitted by Hope & Colm. The most convenient way to hear the songs on this playlist
is to go to the article linked to here & listen via the Spotify links shown there]
http://www.the-dowsers.com/playlist/hop ... t=sandoval
Curated By: HOPE SANDOVAL AND COLM O’CÍOSÓIG
Published By: THE DOWSERS

(QUOTE): "Though best known for their respective work with dream-pop deities Mazzy Star and My Bloody Valentine, Hope Sandoval and Colm O’Cíosóig have been collaborators in Sandoval’s other band—rootsy psych-soul ensemble The Warm Inventions—since 2001. On the heels of their recent E.P., Son of a Lady, the duo have created a playlist for The Dowsers that they’ve named “Significants.”

1. If I Didn't Care - The Ink Spots
2. Suzanne - Leonard Cohen
3. Chimacum Rain - Linda Perhacs
4. Swimming Through Stone - Mariee Sioux
5. A Woman Like You - Bert Jansch
6. La Bambola - Ennio Morricone
7. Faking Jazz Together - Connan Mockasin
8. Zu Zu Mamou - Dr. John
9. Pull Up To The Bumper - Grace Jones
10. Roll On Rosie - Fred Neil
11. Vastapol - Elizabeth Cotten
12. Ode To Billie Joe - Bobbie Gentry
13. Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell
14. Something On Your Mind - Karen Dalton
15. Le Petit Chevalier - Le Volume Courbe
16. Without Her - Harry Nilsson

Let them explain:
'This playlist is a fine example of all the different personalities that we surround ourselves with for happy and sad times.'
—Hope Sandoval and Colm O’Cíosóig

Note: the duo submitted their playlist to The Dowsers via YouTube [uploads], and it included a couple of film clips and live TV appearances
that can’t be sourced on Spotify. The playlist above includes the original recorded versions of their song selections but, for
the full sensory experience, check out their original YouTube playlist."
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUUv9h ... _polymer=1
Hermesacat

Re: New INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016-17 [TWENTY FIVE,so f

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 pm

WFUV, NYC radio interview + 3-song performance with Colm, Hope , and Dave Brennan as HS&TWI as a trio.
Recorded on 2017-10-24, and posted to WFUV's site 2017-11-30
Check page 1 in this thread for a text transcript I typed up from the audio file of this radio interview.
I've upped the audio file to a file hosting site where anyone can DL it, here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/3jqyqd6 ... 202017.zip
Tracks:
00 Intro
01 Suzanne
02 (Interview1)
03 Day Disguise
04 (Interview2)
05 Let Me Get There
06 (Interview3)

-This recording is the only recording of a live performance I've ever heard of Hope S&TWI recorded in a radio or TV studio. If other such recordings exist, I don't know about them.
It's also the only interview recording with Hope I know of where she's recorded in person in a studio rather than by an inferior skype connection or cell phone, which means the audio quality of the interview's much better here.
Hermesacat

Re: New INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016-17 [TWENTY FIVE,so f

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:00 am

This is a reply to MikeRMD (and anyone else interested).

Recently, I came across a Luz Gallardo photo she took at the ill-fated Hope S&TWI
show at Vancouver, BC, Sept. 22, 2009 at her Flickr page, here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/luzgallardo/6778712744/
She IDs it there as: "Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions, Vancouver, BC 09/23/09".
But the date she has, Sept. 23, is the date the band played Seattle, not Vancouver.
I wasn't sure which was correct, the show location or the date. Luckily the hopesandoval.com site
has two Luz photos from Seattle. Sept. 23 for comparison. Hope is wearing a different outfit
in the pic ID-ed as Vancouver than the Seattle ones, so it must be Vancouver.

Finding the photo prompted me to write up a post about the Vancouver show for the popular Facebook
fan group I'm an admin at (7.5k members), using Mike's detailed account of the show he wrote up in two posts found earlier in this thread, above, as he attended that show. For my FB post, I quoted much of what Mike wrote. I'm glad we have Mike's info.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6071129794

One of my helpful, knowledgeable sources (in this case, someone close to the Warm Inventions and Dirt Blue Gene) filled me in on a few details about the Vancouver show, ones
Mike didn't know about, via a FB Messenger message when I asked them.

It turns out the Dirt Blue Gene band member who was refused entry into Canada and had to be left behind in the U.S. was DBG singer, Charles Cullen, who doubled as one of The Warm Inventions' main guitar players on the 2009 tour, along with Dave Brennan. Dirt Blue Gene opened on that tour and most that band doubled as The Warm Inventions (but not DBG's drummer, Paul Brennan - no relation to Dave, I'm told - as Colm is WI's drummer).

Dirt Blue Gene was unable to open as their singer was stuck in the U.S. [Mike reported a DBG member was barred from entering Canada). This also meant Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions were missing one of their guitar players. That would presumably have made it harder to play their set as they'd been used to playing, and may have contributed to
the band cutting their Vancouver show so short. Mike said they played just 7.5 songs in total.
By my count, most 2009 shows had 13-song sets. Vancouver got very short changed.

I learned what the issue was preventing Charles from entering Canada, but I believe my source
prefers I don't share that bit of extra info, so I'll stay quiet on that aspect.

HS&TWI's bass player, Al Browne, occasionally played guitar on stage with The Warm Inventions on songs that did not require bass. In Luz's photo from the show, you can see Al on the left playing guitar (his curly hair's a give away) and Dave on the right, also playing guitar (he's tall like Dave). Charles was stuck in the U.S.

Anyone interested in the rest of the story of the show should look for Mike's two posts from earlier in this thread.

Below is Luz Gallardo's photo from the Sept. 22, 2009 Vancouver show at The Red Room venue. I cropped it a bit and turned it on its side to keep its image quality/resolution intact.

Hermesacat

Re: New INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016-17 [TWENTY SIX,so fa

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:41 pm

Oct. 2022:
A "new" (to me) old interview from 2016 turned up recently: Oct. 28, 2016, Nov. 2016 issue of IL MUCCHIO SELVAGGIO mag, INTERVIEW w. HOPE & COLM English translation from Italian.
https://giuseppezevolli.com/2016/10/28/ ... selvaggio/
I'd not encountered the article before seeing it recently (Sept. 2022) at the journalist's site.
See the thread above to see the article's text posted in chronological order. It's currently the first article showing as it has the earliest date, Oct. 28.
Hermesacat

Previous

Return to General Discussion