New INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016-17 [TWENTY SIX,so far]

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: new INTERVIEWS w. Hope & Colm, 2016 [so far, SIXTEEN]

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:31 pm

Emma: Well, I'm enjoying finding & sharing these Hope & Colm interviews, and luckily they're doing a bunch of them! The Irish radio interview doesn't seem to have happened yet. Hopefully, it will still happen this week.
I noticed that "watch" button too. If there's a video of the interview, so much the better, huh?

I did find a new, short German radio interview with Hope and Colm. Here's the link:
http://www.br.de/radio/bayern2/sendunge ... er100.html
If you click on the photo of Hope, the 6-minute audio plays. It's disappointing though that most of the interview portions consist of German radio hosts speaking in very loud voices over top of Colm & Hope whose voices are reduced in volume so you can't hear their words. Too bad they didn't insert German translations after the spoken English, instead of radio hosts drowning out Hope's and Colm's voices wih their own German translations.

Small consolation is Hope is allowed to speak 20 words or so without a German voice over top, and we get to hear her laugh! Colm's allowed even fewer words reproduced clearly. The site's page also provides a German text version of the audio. I'll try to put together an English version and post it with the other interviews above.

The Martello towers aspect of the album's recording is quite interesting, isn't it? Someone at the FB Group found this 3-min. yt video of the Martello tower at Dalkey, which Hope said was one of two they recorded in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qI8p_PRm00
Last edited by Hermesacat on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hermesacat

Postby Emma » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Hermesacat wrote:The Irish radio interview doesn't seem to have happened yet. Hopefully, it will still happen this week.

I think the interview is to be broadcast today (in less than 30 minutes) as I came across a tweet sent to Rough Trade's PR staff in Ireland indicating that the interview will be taking place today (16 November).

I did find a new, short German radio interview with Hope and Colm. Here's the link:
http://www.br.de/radio/bayern2/sendunge ... er100.html

Thanks for the German interview. I didn't know the album title was a reference to an African saying. Interesting... I just thought it was a mysterious title, like "Among My Swan"!
Emma
Site Admin

Postby Homeostasis » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:10 pm

Thanks for the heads up about the Newstalk interview. I've just tuned in. They came back from a commercial and started playing My Bloody Valentine's "Soon", so I hope I've not missed anything.
Homeostasis

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:28 am

Glad the interview wasn't canceled and happened today. Hooray. I wondered if it might not come off. It's convenient the snow remains available on the site for play-on-demand. From the home page here, http://www.newstalk.com
click on "Listen Back" near the top pf the page. Then click on "November 16". Then scroll down the page to the last show on the page, "The Tom Dunne Show (22:00 - 00:00)". The interview is in part 2, so click on part 2 and it starts fairly soon thereafter. It's only about 12 minutes of interview (not counting the music before and after), but it's a treat to hear their speaking voices.

I'm glad it looks like I was mistaken in thinking they archive their shows for public availability for only a few weeks. Instead, it looks like they all stay available on the site for years.

Quite a start to Hope's part of then interview. True to their song "The Hiking Song," Hope gets on the phone during a hike with some hiking companions in the hills, and a coyote immediately shows up, startling & distracting Hope to start off the interview! Colm's in the radio studio with the interviewer in Dublin.

As Emma mentioned, there's a "Watch" button allowing you to watch the radio show on a camera in the studio. It's just one stationary camera pointed at the host, and didn't even show a prior guest on the same show. She was kept off camera during her interview.Then when Colm came on, the video transmission appears to have been turned off completely. No visuals.
Last edited by Hermesacat on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:00 am

I posted in this thread a new Hope & Colm interview, 2016, NOV. ROUGH TRADE MAG. - ISSUE 8 (Nov., 2016),
a text transcript made from scans of hard copy pages of the mag. Rough Trade does not sell digital copies
of their magazine, only hard copies. So, I ordered one at the same time as I ordered Rough Trade's exclusive 2-CD version of the album Until the Hunter, the one with a second CD with the B-sides "She's in the Wall" and "That Spider."

I've uploaded photo scans of the 8 magazine pages of the interview (it includes 3 impressive pages of photos
with colourful graphics) in a folder to a file hosting site where anyone can DL it, here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/6ixbg3o ... 20Colm.zip

Yesterday, I tried embedding photo scans of pages from the Rough Trade mag in this thread, but for some reason, despite trying to resize them, I could not succeed this time in posting them here in a way where the site didn't cut off sections of the photos. I don't know what the problem is. You can see an example of one of the photo/graphics pages in this thread that came from a photo the mag editor tweeted from the article. I may try again to post the pages here. [Later edit, webmaster at mazzystar.free.fr has successfully added the page photos to this post, something I was unable to do myself]

Click and use the magnifier to enlarge - Emma

Also, The Irish radio INTERVIEW with Hope and Colm, Nov. 16, 2016, is upped to my yt Channel, here:
https://youtu.be/H4_kmWNc1jM
It's good the interview's staying available for listening at Newstalk 106-108 FM's "Listen Back" show archives. But lots of fans who might enjoy hearing it may be unlikely to find it there. It deserves wider availability, imo, especially as interview recordings with Hope (and likely Colm too) are rare. I see a variety of yt uploaders have upped different segments from radio host Tom Dunne's shows over the years, which, if anything, would help advertise the station and his show. So, presumably it's safe to put this on yt without the radio station or Tom Dunne objecting.
Last edited by Hermesacat on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hermesacat

Postby Emma » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Hermesacat,

Thanks for sharing the Rough Trade interview. Nice coloured graphics!

Hermesacat wrote:Yesterday, I tried embedding photo scans of pages from the Rough Trade mag in this thread, but for some reason, despite trying to resize them, I could not succeed this time in posting them here in a way where the site didn't cut off sections of the photos.

I embedded your images into your post with links to an enlarged version. If you aren't happy with the result and have a better solution, feel free to remove my links.
Emma
Site Admin

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Emma:
Your embedding of those photos worked perfectly. Thanks. They look great. What did I do wrong, and you did right, so photos don't get partially cut off here, I wonder?
Hermesacat

Postby KoalaCub9 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:02 pm

What's up with the Warm Springs part, a typo????????????????????????????????????????????????????
KoalaCub9

Re: new INTERVIEWS w. Hope & Colm, 2016 [so far,THIRTEEN]

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:54 pm

I've posted a text transcript of the Irish radio interview from Newstalk FM in the thread (above).

2016, NOV. 16, NEWSTALK 106-108 FM Interview with Hope & Colm (transcript from the audio)
The interviewer is radio host Tom Dunne.
http://www.newstalk.com
The audio file is available at the station's website (above) via their "Listen Back" feature.
Or you can download the audio file as an MP3 from a file hosting site where I upped it,
along with the transcript text, here: https://mega.nz/#!DQsglIIQ!YJ4Iuw36h1aJ ... SeHE02Xpqo
I've also upped the audio to youtube here: https://youtu.be/H4_kmWNc1jM

-Youtube viewers seem to be enjoying this Hope + Colm interview better than the 2013 Hope+David Mazzy Star one I upped to yt, judging by thumbs votes each has received. Those long, painful silences between question and answer in the Mazzy Star one don't make for the easiest, most pleasant listening experience! The new one seems easier and more pleasant to listen to.

-Rough Trade calls The Warm Inventions "The Warm Springs." The Irish radio host called them
"The Warm Intentions." Odd how people are INVENTING new names for The Inventions!
Last edited by Hermesacat on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hermesacat

Re: new INTERVIEWS w. Hope & Colm, 2016 [so far,THIRTEEN]

Postby KoalaCub9 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:39 am

Someone is toying with reality. Is it possible Hope and Colm traveled back in time and changed the magazine just before it went to print? If so, what would be the motivation for such an act? If they do travel back in time at will, I wonder if they made any money on the Cubs winning the World Series.
KoalaCub9

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion