New INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016-17 [TWENTY SIX,so far]

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: new INTERVIEWS w. Hope & Colm, 2016 [so far, SIXTEEN]

Postby KoalaCub9 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:47 am

I just read the Nov. 8 Noisey/Vice interview and they mentioned time travel, so 1) obviously I must have picked up on that psychically and 2) it is evident that they really do travel in time but that they conceal it in light hearted references in interviews in such a way that no one would ever consider them as having done such a thing. The question still remains, why? I do believe there is a government connection but that it goes deeper than that...
KoalaCub9

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:53 am

As Emma also noticed earlier, when I posted a link to that German radio interview, there's an interesting "scoop" in it: We learn the meaning of the mysterious album title, "Until the Hunter." Hope tells the interviewer it derives from an African proverb: "Until the lion has a historian, the hunter will always be a hero." And Hope adds this commentary re. the proverb, QUOTE: "We rarely hear the point of view of the losers."

But surely a greater mystery than even the mystery of how The Warm Inventions got turned into The Warm Streams in the Rough Trade mag is the mystery of why Hope & Colm didn't title the album "Until the LION" instead. That title would seem to reference the proverb more clearly - - AND would add a cat theme!

-I've posted an English text version of the Bayern 2 German radio interview above in this thread, and have upped the audio with a slideshow to youtube, here: https://youtu.be/S0cjqvIhmUU . Plus, have upped the audio file as an MP3,+English & German text to a file hosting site where anyone can download it, here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/61b4rhe ... %20H+C.zip
Last edited by Hermesacat on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hermesacat

Postby KoalaCub9 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:23 am

Here's a title for you:

When the Lion Hits the Conflicts He Thinks like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might so When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right.

:lol:
KoalaCub9

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:42 pm

Meow-wow!
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Within the articles' text posted above, I've embedded the photos found on the original web pages. However, in some cases I've needed to reduce the size (and quality) of photos in order to make them fit into this thread page without their getting partially cut off here. So, if you want to save photos to your own device, it's best to link to the original web pages and download the photos from there. That way, you'll get the best quality.
Hermesacat

Re: new INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016 [so far, SEVENTEEN]

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:08 pm

Added another Hope & Colm interview today, this one from the Irish Times, Nov. 28, 2016:
http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/warm- ... -1.2880474
It's been a steady stream of one H & C interview after another coming out over the past month. I'm enjoying it while it lasts. This "feast" of communicativeness by the artists will no doubt be followed by "famine" of years of semi-seclusion and near-silence, as typically happens between albums. Good news is they are now used to being somewhat active on their official FB pages, so we may see occasional short FB messages from them, at least, once they've stopped doing press interviews. Plus, we may see more new videos uploaded to their mysterious Tendril Tales site.
..........................................................................................................
A number of 2016 interviews have mentioned Colm has recently moved back to Ireland from California. I've wondered what might have sparked the move. A FB Group member, Tim Cummings, was wondering about this too: Whether they are or were a couple, or married, and did Colm's move to Ireland mean they weren't. So, I did a little research, looking up quotes re. these topics, and will paste below what I posted at FB:
............................................................................................................

I believe Hpe & Colm have been a couple a long time, and I've wondered what it may mean Colm's reportedly moved back to Ireland recently.

In a SF Examiner interview with the two, 2009-09-24, here's the interviewer's question and their answers:

INTERVIEWER: "Are you two a couple, boyfriend and girlfriend?"

HOPE: "Of course we’re a couple. We’re together now, aren’t we? And Colm’s a boy, he’s my friend and I’m a girl. We’re best friends and we live together. But it’s a very big house."
COLM: "Uhhh ... the answer’s no."

-I believe Hope's first sentence is the informative one, i.e. "Of course we're a couple," not Colm's "...no", which I view as a leg-pull!
Btw, in interviews of prior years with Hope & Colm, I noticed Colm pulling legs of interviewers on a few occasions, something I don't notice him doing in 2016.

-Others have mentioned in interviews re. the two living together in California (Berkeley), e.g. Andy Cabic of Vetiver who recorded the first Vetiver album in Hope's and Colm's house in 2004 I think it was (Hope sings on one song, "Angels' Share"). In 2011, Cabic recalled,
QUOTE: "He [Colm] and Hope Sandoval were living together so they brought a space that we recorded in. We recorded at their house."

-In the Bayern 2 German radio interview, 2016-11-04, the two describe typical recent daily routines together, which sound as if they've continued living happily together in California. Words in round brackets are ones you can hear verbatim on the radio recording. The rest are translations from the German text.

QUOTE:
COLM: "The two of us like to walk in California every afternoon.
(Well, we do hike, and then we have food). Afterwards,
we do our business calls on the phone."

HOPE: "Sometimes we only do our phone calls till (maybe lunchtime.
Then we go have a nice lunch, and have wine, and then
go back home, and then have some more wine. And then
we play music "
COLM: "A perfect day"
HOPE: [laughs] "Perfect day")

-And in the Irish radio interview, 2016-11-16, there's this passage which
suggests they commute back and forth between California and Ireland.
Plus, Colm says he may move back again to California.

QUOTE:
INTERVIEWER: Yeah. How does that work, uh, Hope, as a matter of interest? Um, and you are kind of living in different continents. Uh, how do you write songs?

HOPE: Well, we spend a lot of time together. I mean Colm had been living in California for about-

COLM: Long time

Hope: -seventeen years, um-

COLM: I've only recently moved back over here [Ireland]-

-Okay

COLM: But, you know, may move back again-

HOPE: Yeah

COLM: So, it's in flux

HOPE: Yeah, and then of course I'm back and forth, um, you know, we rehearse
in Ireland, we record in Ireland, but we also work in California, you know
.................................................................................

So, they don't sound like an unhappy ex-couple recently busted up, exactly, do they? But a mystery & question remain: if they're still a happy couple, why is Colm apparently living primarily in Ireland now, and Hope in California? One could speculate there might be family reasons for such a move. E.g. a plausible possibility might be one or more of Colm's aging parents are ailing and needing assistance from a family member, and he feels obliged to be closer to them to help. If I was an interviewer, I might want to ask a few "nosy" questions, such as: "Why the move?"!
-As for whether they married, there are clear videos of Hope onstage showing a ring on her ring finger that looks to my eyes like a wedding ring, possibly, but who knows for sure? (Not me).
Hermesacat

Re: new INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016 [so far, EIGHTEEN]

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:38 pm

Today I posted in this thread a Hope interview from the Dec., 2016 BLITZ magazine. It may turn out to be the last new Hope interview fans may get to read or hear for a long while. She and Colm seem to already have retreated back into default "silent" mode after doing interviews over the course of a month from approx. late Oct. to late Nov., 2016. This BLITZ interview was conducted over a month ago, before the U.S. election. I don't think they typically do any interviews during tours, only when new albums get released. But hopefully, they'll continue posting occasional new, if brief, messages at their FB pages at least!
Hermesacat

Re: new INTERVIEWS w. HOPE & COLM, 2016 [so far, NINETEEN]

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm

Looks like I spoke too soon in speculating interviews for Until the Hunter were likely all over and done with by now, as Rolling Stone just came out with a new one (posted above) Dec. 16, 2016.

I don't really like Rolling Stone's approach to interviews 'cause there's no straight Q & A, which I'd prefer. Instead, the article's one long "story" written by the journalist with occasional interview quotes from H. & C. inserted here and there. But in an interview, I want to read Hope's & Colm's words, much more than the journalist's words. To the journalist's credit, she did research and write up some interesting band history as part of the article. And she writes well enough.

But other sites and journalists opt for a more appealing (imo) format where the interviewer writes a journalistic intro, which could be long or short, but followed by a long, straight Q & A section, which is what I'm most interested in.

The journaliist (Suzi Exposito) was likely just following Rolling Stone's designated formula for interview features, i.e. "At Rolling Stone we don't do simple, straightforward Q & A interviews. No, here we do 'journalism'!"
Hermesacat

Postby MikeRMD » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:05 pm

Hey all,

I haven't read all the interviews especially the latest ones but must say I am pleasantly surprised by the tenor of most of them. Hope and Colm seem friendly and willing to talk and even joke around a bit. One thing I noted with surprise was that the two of them have been listening to Ora Cogan and Hope mentioned that Ora opened for them during one of their West Coast shows (we're speaking of HSATWI and not Mazzy Star). Well that show was the one I attended here in Vancouver and I have a bit of info as to how Ora ended up opening the show. The Vancouver show was early in the tour and I had read on the old Blvd that Dirt Blue Gene were going to be the opening act after which there would be a break and then they would return with Hope and Colm for the headlining act. Nobody came up on the stage to say anything when a woman appeared on stage with a guitar (I believe the Gibson model that Steve Howe favored so much) and so at first I thought she was a guitar tech for the band but then she started playing and singing. After a song or two she asked the sound tech to adjust something and then she continued to play. Most in the audience were talking but I was enjoying the music and given that I had no idea who this was I then called out after a song "What's your name?" to which she responded "Ora Cogan. and thanks" (I'm guessing that she had not felt comfortable saying her name up to that point and no one had the courtesy to introduce her). She finished her set and after a LONG break out came musicians and I got ready for a set from DBG (I was assuming they were going to do their opening set) when Hope strode out. I remember with amusement that I said out loud in surprise "Hope" and someone beside me kind of looked at me with a look that said 'well who the hell did you expect' but as I write DBG had been doing an opening set so I had not been expecting Hope to come out then. Right away I felt a sense of wrongness. Hope seemed stiff as a board and no one introduced them but they started in with 'Blanchard' and things settled down. As I've written before the show went badly and Hope strode off during the ~5th song. We ended up getting at most ~2/3 of what other cities got in terms of songs (one that we got screwed out of was 'Suzanne' by the recently passed away Leonard Cohen although I am more choked about missing out on 'Satellite' and 'Feeling of Gaze'). After the audience finally figured out that we weren't going to get anything more out of the sulky couple we then started leaving and I happened to notice Ora sitting with some CDs in front of her and stopped to talk a bit. I told her that the word had been that DBG would be the opening act and she told me she had received a call ~3 pm asking her to do a set. Madub (Madzub on the old Blvd) posted that he had a smoke with some in the band later and was told that one of the members of DBG had not been permitted into Canada so I'm guessing that is why they didn't do their set and Ora was called in on short notice. In my scathing review of the show on the old Blvd I did mention that there had been a nice but unannounced opening set by Ora Cogan and it's good that there has been a silver lining develop in that apparently Ora's music struck a bit of a chord with Hope and Colm.

Blessed Be to all of you,
Mike
MikeRMD

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:01 am

Mike:
Thanks for posting your memories of that 2009 show. The Ora Cogan info I find especially interesting. As you know, Hope mentions in a couple articles/interviews this year that Ora Cogan is one of her faves. Here's Hope's quote from the Nov. 4 Brooklyn Vegan 10-song playlist she and Colm put together along with their own commentary:
QUOTE:
"2 Ora Cogan – Daughter
https://youtu.be/ms3HcwwMYGc *
This gorgeous woman opened one of our West Coast shows. This is a great record, so glad she found us."
*[this yt video is unavailable to me but I found the song here:
https://oracogan.bandcamp.com/track/daughter - Hermesacat/Bob]

-I didn't know the Vancouver show was one Ora "accidentally" got to open for Hope & co. Hope tipped me off to Ora's music which I find very appealing. I didn't even know her name or know she's a local talent which shows how little I follow local music. Wish I'd known about her before 'cause I like her music better than 99%+ of artists I hear. I always like to check out Hope's recs of artists she likes, though often I find I don't share her enthusiasms (e.g. Hope gives high praise to Liz Fraser/Cocteau Twins in a Nov. interview, but their music doesn't reach me, particularly).

But I've become an enthusiastic Beach House fan after checking them out on Hope's 2013 recommendation in a Mazzy Star interview. Now I'm glad I know of Ora Cogan too thanks to Hope, I will definitely make a point now of seeing some of her local shows in Vancouver. I read she lives primarily on Saltspring Island now, but views Vancouver, a ferry ride away, as a second home.
I'll post a Christmas greeting in the photos thread.
Hermesacat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion