Tour Dates 2013+

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Tour Dates 2013+

Postby Emma » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Mazzy Star have announced tour dates in North America for fall 2013.
An European tour should follow.

11-03 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
11-04 Seattle, WA - Neptune
11-06 San Francisco, CA - Warfield Theatre
11-07 Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern
11-10 Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre
11-12 Minneapolis, MN - Mill City Nights
11-13 Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre
11-15 Detroit, MI - Majestic Theatre
11-16 Toronto, Ontario - Danforth Music Hall
11-17 Montreal, Quebec - Club Soda
11-19 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
11-20 New York, NY - Terminal 5
11-22 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
11-23 Silver Spring, MD - The Fillmore

You can buy tickets through Mazzy Star's Facebook page.
Emma
Site Admin

Re: Tour Dates 2013+

Postby Shaun » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Hopes gonna do european tour in New Year whoooooooooooooooooop
Shaun

Postby MikeRMD » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:13 am

Hi all,

Not to be picky here Shaun but many people object when Mazzy Star is reduced to just 'Hope'. It will be Mazzy Star touring Europe in 2014 and it's been noted that David writes most of the music and Hope most of the lyrics (thankfully about the latter as the one song where David wrote the lyrics is not even in my top 50 Mazzy Star songs ;) ). Others contribute to the Mazzy Star experience as well but when you listen to their music it's usually David's melodies you are hearing and enjoying so please enlarge your focus to include those others.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeRMD

Postby Zarik » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:13 am

Will be attending the November 13 show. This is a musical moment I quite frankly thought would never happen.
Zarik

Postby alas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:15 am

The lineup for the Portland gig based on Flkr photo. To see it yourself, go to flickr, enter Mazzy Star in the search bar and sort by recent (relevant is the default):

Mariee Sioux from 9 to 9:30
Entrance Band from 9:40 to 10:30
Mazzy Star 10:45 to 12:00
alas

Postby Emma » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:46 am

Setlist - 3 Nov, Crystal Ballroom, Portland, OR

Look on Down From the Bridge
Cry, Cry
Lay Myself Down
Ride It On
Does Someone Have Your Baby Now?
She Hangs Brightly
Halah
Fade Into You
In the Kingdom
Blue Flower
Disappear
Flying Low

Encore:
California
So Tonight That I Might See

Great setlist with a good combination of new and older songs. Maybe one or two more songs from STTIMS would have been nice but it still looks promising.

Picture
Emma
Site Admin

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:59 pm

Here'a a review of the Portland show:
http://oregonmusicnews.com/2013/11/05/m ... etter-age/

Here"s the set list from Seattle, Monday Nov. 4:
1 Look on Down From the Bridge
2 Cry, Cry
3 Lay Myself Down
4 Ride it On
5 Does Someone Have Your Baby Now
6 Into Dust
7 She Hangs Brightly
8 Halah
9 Fade Into You
10 In the Kingdom
11 Blue Flower
12 Disappear
13 So Tonight That I Might See (encore)

-I attended the Seattle show & taped the whole thing (audio) which I'll soon upload to both dimeadozen.org torrent site & a file hosting site for direct download with a link I'll post in the Boots list here. It was a good show. I think it was alas who suggested fans attending shows should consider posting their own reviews in the Forum. So, I'll post more details later.
Last edited by Hermesacat on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermesacat

Postby MikeRMD » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi Hermesacat,

I'm glad you and all those attending the Seattle show had a good experience. I'd read the set list for the Portland show and was glad to see they're going to mix things up a little set list wise. The Seattle show had 1 less song in total but had 2 more from STTIMS, a couple less from the new album, and 1 less from AMS. Emma noted that the Portland show had just 1 song from STTIMS. 'Look on Down...' seems a bit of an odd choice to start the show with but it is a beautiful song. Ending the show with STTIMS would have been a blast to hear as that song is one that they have tended to play around some with the arrangement in the past.

Who is playing bass and who is playing violin (on 'Into Dust')? I've kind of wondered at the reason for having a pedal steel guitar player in the touring band when David (or Will at least once that I saw) do just fine with that kind of sound using a slide. Seems a bit redundant to me.

The link you provided to a review of the Portland show had supposed songs played that are not on the set list so i'm not sure that reviewer knows MS music very well. I'd written in my review of the new album that someone had commented on YouTube that 'Lay Myself Down' sounds somewhat like 'I've Been Let Down' and the review you linked to had those two songs confused.

Both venues thus far are ones that suit this band and their music which bodes well for this tour. Having MS or HSATWI playing in clubs, as the latter did during the show in Vancouver, is a recipe for unpleasantness. I'm looking forward to hearing the show Hermesacat!

Cheers,
Mike
MikeRMD

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:17 am

Mazzy Star in Seattle, Nov. 4, 2013.

It didn't seem like it was turning into such a lucky day, after all. Driving from Vancouver BC to Seattle for the Mazzy show I was kept waiting at the U.S. border 3 hours Monday afternoon (it's lucky I left home early) & was convinced U.S. Customs & Border Patrol were not going to let me across the border as some (Canadian) computer error mistakenly showed my ''enhanced'' drivers license (one Canadians can go across the border with in lieu of a passport) as being invalid. I was starting to think I could probably count myself fortunate if they simply allowed me to turn around & drive home. But amazingly, they let me in. Mazzy Star, here I come!

The Neptune Theater is a nice venue, small, dating back to 1921 with what looks like period decor & ornamentation. It used to be a movie theater.They've left the balcony seats intact, but have removed all the theater seats on the main floor. So in front of the stage it's standing room. I was about 20 feet from the stage just left of center. As usual, the stage was darkened, but I was close enough I could make out a ghostly Hope in a blue dress fairly well, & could catch things like her rolling her eyes upward as she likes to do sometimes. I agree with the Portland reviewer that Hope's voice is in fine form. In fact, I think what I heard Monday from Hope sounds better than any recordings I've heard from 2012 when her voice often seemed a little rough, imo. She also looks different than in 2012. Today, she's 1990s slim again, her fatty face of 2012 is transformed, & she's about as lovely as ever, as far as I can tell. Superficialities, I know. It's the writing & singing that's really important. But hey, if there's physical beauty to behold, I like to behold it! Hope's got it.

As Emma mentions, Colm O'Ciosoig isn't part of the current touring band. They have a new male bass player, but I don't know who he is. He also plays violin on Into Dust. The now deceased Will's violin was an important part of Mazzy's sound, imo, so it's good they're bringing back the violin. As always, Keith was on drums, & Suki on keyboards & second guitar. Josh Yenne played steel guitar, & second guitar as he did in 2012. On Halah, there were three guitars playing at once. I was surprised that the most moving instrumental sounds to my ears did not come from David's guitars as I'd have expected. Instead, the high point for me in that regard was hearing Josh's steel guitar live in that venue on Lay Myself Down. Other worldly, almost. I love the sound of the steel guitar on the studio version too. One small complaint for me is when David was playing acoustic slide that his guitar volume wasn't cranked up higher in the mix.

Unlike the Portland show where the reviewer says no band member said a word to the audience, in Seattle Hope spoke. It was sound problems, a pet peeve of hers, that got her sounding off. The second song, Cry Cry couldn't get started properly 'cause David's guitar amp was giving him problems. That got her going for a while, & also seems to have helped cause her to start the song in a new way with an impromptu harmonica solo before she started singing, which was fun to hear.

I'd not seen any music shows in Seattle before, but was pleasantly surprised at how appreciative & respectful the audience was of all the artists, even the two opening acts, Mariee Sioux (beautiful voice), & The Entrance Band (lots of reverb-like space-psychedelic guitar.They were pretty good too), & were quiet instead of chattering loudly through sets as is too often the case in other cities. Thank you Seattlers, for that. Has some Canadian politeness rubbed off on our neighbors just to the south of us, nearby, I wonder?

Rather than hearing yet more renditions of Mazzy's best known & most performed songs (not that I don't think they're excellent) I'd have been happier hearing more songs from the new album, or else infrequently done songs, or unreleased ones, including never-before-heard ones. They did Taste of Blood in Portland. That's one I'd like to hear.

As Mike says, smaller halls seem to suit the band best, as they themselves have said, rather than clubs or large festivals,etc. I think Hope sings better in small halls compared to some of her festival performances last summer.

My attempt to upload my recording of the show to FileFactory failed. Maybe the file was too large. So, I'm upping it to the 4-shared site instead. Meanwhile, my upload to Youtube of the show can be heard here:
http://youtu.be/Fa96waqcEaI
(update: Check the Boots list thread here for a new DL link to an audio file of the Seattle show. I'll be upping it to dimeadozen.org torrent site soon too.)
Last edited by Hermesacat on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Hermesacat

Postby MikeRMD » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:00 am

Hi Hermesacat,

The internet has been known to have incorrect info some times :lol: . Emma posted the set list from the Portland show which mirrors what i learned at setlist.fm (it may have been her source) and that doesn't show 'Taste of Blood' being played. I guess we'll learn for sure if tapes are released.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeRMD

Next

Return to General Discussion