Tour Dates 2013+

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: Tour Dates 2013+

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:51 am

Yaz_Rock:
Many thanks for recording & uploading your audio file of the Nov. 20 NYC show.
It DL-ed without a hitch from 4-shared, & the .rar files opened fine by using 7-zip free software for unzipping such compressed files. It sounds good. One small set list correction: The song you list as "Umbilical" is in fact "So Tonight That I Might See" which they've been playing at every show this tour, apparently. Along with "Umbilical", it's one of three "talking" songs Mazzy Star recorded. The other one's "Mary of Silence". ( Hope's my favourite "rapper"!).

Of 15 shows this tour, recordings of five have shown up so far, which isn't bad. But with luck, there will be other generous tapers sharing other 2013 shows. 2012 was even better that score. Out of thirteen 2012 gigs in total, eight show recordings that I know of turned up & are listed in the boots thread here.

Btw Yaz_Rock, if you get a chance to upload your recording as a torrent file to dimeadozen.org live show sharing site there'll be lots of appreciative fans & collectors there who will like to get to hear your recording too & who might otherwise miss out on seeing it posted here or at your own web site.
Hermesacat

Postby Yaz_Rock » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:32 am

You're welcome and thanks for the correction on the tracklist.

I am not on any torrent sites, but feel free to share the recording around any place you see fit, and with the corrected info. It matters not to me where it ends up nor in what format.

Enjoy =)

Rob
Yaz_Rock

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:55 pm

Yaz_Rock:
If someone else doesn't upload a recording to Dime from the NYC show first I may post yours there since you're okay with my doing that. If I do, I'll keep you informed. And of course, I'll add your DL link to the boots list thread here & credit you for it.
Thanks
-Bob
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:58 am

Reviews of the Nov. 22 Philly show:
http://www.phawker.com/2013/11/23/being ... -transfer/
and Nov. 13 Minneapolis one:
http://www.bigtakeover.com/concerts/maz ... er-12-2013

It also gives this Minneapolis set list:

Look On Down From The Bridge
Cry, Cry
In The Kingdom
Lay Myself Down
Ride It On
Does Someone Have Your Baby Now?
Into Dust
She Hangs Brightly
Halah
Fade Into You
Blue Flower
Disappear
Flying Low
California
So Tonight That I Might See
Hermesacat

Postby alas » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Just a humorous note: Jimmy Fallon said he was so happy that she was here. She not the band. Telling slip up.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... ia/n43693/
alas

Postby intodust72 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:29 pm

They sounded so good on Jimmy Fallon!
intodust72

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Maybe Jimmy Fallon's one of those uninformed folks who thinks "Mazzy Star" is Hope Sandoval's stage (or real) name, & that David & co. are her hired backing band. If that were actually the case they could bill themselves as "Mazzy Star & her Warmly Rotating Planets" !

Nice to hear them on TV, if not see them clearly. I was surprised the Fallon show indulged Hope in her darkened stage request to such a degree. The only clear view of Hope was when she smiled & shook hands with Jimmy at the end. In contrast, on the 1994 Conan O'Brien TV appearance (findable on youtube) Hope looks completely shell shocked from the bright lights & stage fright when she shakes Conan's hand afterward (she later complained in an interview the spot lights at Conan's show were intolerably bright, although the people there were very pleasant to them).

The Mazzy performance on Fallon's show is streamable online currently but it's not likely to be available at NBC's site forever, & its in an online video format that, unfortunately, can't be DL-ed with the online video downloader software I have.
Did anyone here record the Fallon show performance on their PVR & would be able to upload a file of it?

A few more reviews:
Nov. 23 Silver Springs, Maryland:
http://brightestyoungthings.com/article ... y-star.htm
Nov. 20 NYC :
http://deankeim.tumblr.com/post/6807920 ... terminal-5
Thanks go to http://fuckyeahmazzystar.tumblr.com/ for linking to the above NYC review.
The review also includes a few photos, plus video recordings of 3 complete, or nearly complete, songs.
They are youtube videos, but it looks like they're not searchable at yt, as instead he gives them numbers for titles, & they likely have no identifying tags on them to make them findable. He wants people to be able to find them only via his tumblr blog, apparently. Quality's not the greatest, but they're still interesting videos.
Hermesacat

Postby MikeRMD » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:11 am

Hi all,

Regarding the Jimmy Fallon show Mazzy Star song: he starts by saying he's so glad SHE's here but then mentions that THEY've released THEIR 4th album so catches himself a bit. Still i've not liked how most talk show hosts act with music guests for a long time. I recall watching Jay Leno's show once when 10,000 Maniacs (still with Natalie Merchant) were the musical guest. Once the song was over Jay runs over beside Natalie and is gushing about her while paying absolutely no attention to the rest of the band. It's almost like politicians and their photo-ops. Still the 'Calfornia' clip from the Jimmy Fallon show is a treat to watch and listen to (at least until he horns in with the 'in stores now' stuff). I'm glad the band stuck with their low light policy as the candles lent a nice touch to the song.
MikeRMD

Postby MikeRMD » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:15 am

Hi all,

Regarding Hermesacat's mention of 'talking' Mazzy Star songs:

I think i would add 'Unreflected' and 'It Speaks of Distance' as well, although the latter has never been officially released.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeRMD

Postby Homeostasis » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:23 am

Nice to see the tour going so well so far.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/current-boxscore

Act: Mazzy Star, Psychic Ills
Venue: The Vic, Chicago, Ill.
Date: Nov. 13, 2013
Gross Revenue: $41,854
Attendance / Total Capacity: 1,231 / 1,400

Mazzy Star, Psychic Ills
Club Soda, Montreal, Quebec
Nov. 17, 2013
$24,045
589 / 700

Billboard Boxscore is normally all over the place, date-wise. Some promoters submit their figures immediately after the show, while others seem to do it only once every three months. Wouldn't be surprised to get more figures from previous dates over the next few months.
Homeostasis

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion