Hope Sandoval&TWI - New Album 2016,new singles April,SEPT.

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: Hope Sandoval & T.W.I. - New Album 2016, & new single Ap

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:27 am

Mazzy Star's official FB site today posted news re. the new HS&TWI single with a new photo.
QUOTE:
<<On April 16th, 2016, Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions will release a limited edition 7-inch red vinyl record for Record Store Day. Released on their own label Tendril Tales, "Isn't It True" comes backed with "She's In The Wall", written and performed by The Warm Inventions partnership of Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star) and Colm Ó Cíosóig (My Bloody Valentine) with additional musicianship from Jim Putnam (radar bros.).

"Isn't It True" is the very first material to be shared from the band's third full length new album. "She's In The Wall" is exclusive to this Record Store Day release.

Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions have released two acclaimed albums to date. Their 2001 debut Bavarian Fruit Bread was followed in 2009 by Through The Devil Softly. In 2013 Sandoval released the much lauded fourth Mazzy Star album Seasons Of Your Day.>>
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:01 am

April 7, 2016, a FB Group member Bád Róisín-Baco posted a link to a mysterious brief video at a site with the same name as Hope's new label of her own that her new single is being released on. It's http://www.tendriltales.com/video.html .
There's an odd little intro section of a woman with a skull. If you click on it the actual video plays after it.
It's a mysterious site as there's nothing on it but the brief mysterious video. I'm guessing Colm O'Ciosoig may have made the video. Its style has some things in common with the video Mazzy Star posted to their official FB site Xmas 2014 of a 1-minute unreleased song snippet. This video also has some things in common with the so-called "fan made" video of the song "In the Kingdom" Mazzy Star's official site promoted & where a commenter "outed" Colm as the video's actual maker who upped it to yt under the youtuber name "Herman Kinski." [later edit: it turns out the commenter who cited Colm as otherwise uncredited videographer is the same FB user who alerted the FB fan group of this new Tendril Tales video. So, Bád Róisín-Baco seems to be something of an insider when it comes to knowledge of Hope & Mazzy related videos. And the Tendril Tales video also has similarities with Mazzy Star's video for "I'm Less Here," which Colm may also have made. Attached here are screen captures of two shots of the woman in the Tendril Tales video who I'm sure is Hope. Plus (just 'cause I'm a cat person who likes to collect Mazzy Star's/Hope's cat connections) the cat pic in it that resembles one of the cats in the "I'm Less Here" video.

How about the music? Doesn't sound like Hope or Mazzy music. It sounds like a distorted violin + drums (Colm's a drummer). Btw, anyone wanting to have this video on their own computer can download it from this file hosting site where I re-upped it: http://www.filefactory.com/.../Tendrilt ... %20video... When I DL-ed it from the Tendril Tales site, the part with the lady & the skull at the beginning wouldn't DL. It's apparently a separate little intro. section different from the actual video, & my video DL-er couldn't snag it.
I've since re-upped the Tendril Tales video to my own yt Channel, here: https://youtu.be/Jg19uhFohmw
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:00 am

There's no info provided at the mysterious site tendriltales.com at all re. the site or the video on it. There's just an animated GIF of the lady with the skull accompanied by audio of a half-intelligible kid speaking a few lines. Then if you click on the GIF image, the video with Hope plays. Some news reports have mentioned Hope's new single (out April 16, 2016) is being released on a new indie label of her own, Tendril Tales. So, it seems safe to assume http://www.tendriltales.com/ is an official Tendril Tales label site.

When I first downloaded the new video & upped it to yt 4 days ago, here:
https://youtu.be/Jg19uhFohmw
I hadn't yet figured out how to also DL the GIF & its audio. Today I did, and upped a second upload that has both the Hope video and the GIF added at the beginning, here: https://youtu.be/beUzOPt1wXk
Interestingly, though there's zero info provided at the original site itself, a bit of hidden info reveals itself when you download content from the site, as each file has an otherwise hidden title its creators presumably gave it.

There are actually three files one can download from the site: The video with Hope in it which is titled "Tendril Tales-161848284.mp4," the animated GIF of lady & skull, titled "levitate1.gif," and the audio of the kid speaking, which is a separate file from the GIF. It's title is: "max-and-gloc.mp3." FB fan Group member Gabriel Palacios figured out "gloc" means glockenspiel as there's glockenspiel playing behind the kid whose name must be Max. "levitate1" suggests the lady isn't yo-yo-ing the skull, but is levitating it by magic (look, no string!)

Also, someone at the FB site found a pic online of the back of the sleeve of the forthcoming single "Isn't it True," with credits. Note it says "© 2016 Tendril Tales":
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:54 pm

The only "lyrics" of the Tendril Tales video are the hard-to-catch lines spoken by the kid in the intro. before the video plays. My attempted transcription:

"The maid's a maid
And nothing more
The hand twists
Attempt the door
Went all the way in
Hush hush to we
The ? ? ? wrist
Ease them to sleep."

[The second last line with "???" has a few words I still can't get. And there's no guarantee the other lines are all correct. My best guesses.]

-The animation with the woman & skull when its file's downloaded from the original site has the title "levitate1," presumably given it by its creators - suggesting the woman's levitating the skull by magic power (hey, no string) exercised by her wrist/hand movements.

Going by the kid's words (so far as I can discern them), my tentative speculation is Hope's/Colm's Tendril Tales site is presided over by a fictional character who seems to be a house maid who has magic powers who can levitate objects, & put noisy kids to sleep with a flip of her magic-endowed wrist! Abracadabra. Maybe she also tells some imaginative bedtime stories (tendril tales?) which include children, horses, cats, wild landscapes, lots of mysterious flickering flame-like lights - and Hope Sandoval in them!
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:36 pm

Hope's new single is out! And a kind benefactor at the FB Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/6071129794/
Jonny Spinasanto has already made vinyl rips from his record he bought today, has shared them, and given the okay for me share his link for them, here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... jdkcDNWLVU
He's uploaded the two songs, "Isn't It True" and "She's In The Wall" in both lossless WAV and MP3 (320kbps), so there are 4 audio files + a photo of the front of the sleeve. And he's also upped the songs to yt already together, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZTX6VaUmxE . Btw, I didn't realize till Jonny mentioned it today that apparently one needs to have a Google account in order to DL files via Google Drive. (This will also affect a bunch of files in the boots list here as some are at Google Drive). I just read up on this at Google, and you don't need to open a gmail account, you just need to open a General Google account. If anyone reading has a special repugnance for Google & having account there, but wants to have the audio files of Hope's single or any Google Drive files in the boots list let me know & I'll re-up them to another file hosting site.
I was fortunate to obtain a vinyl copy at my local record store today, but unfortunately, my attempts at making my own vinyl rips to my computer ended with poor results. I think I need an analog-to-USB converter. Using my mic jack, I only got one channel of the stereo source, not two. Probably it's a mono mic jack. Glad Jonny filled that gap! He also plans on upping the vinyl rip to youtube later today. I'll post a link for it here when I have it.
Here's my initial "review" after listening to both sides just once so far. I'm pleased with the single (no "buyer's remorse"!).The Tendril Tales video with its experimental style of music didn't foreshadow a change in sound for this single as the single doesn't startle listeners with wild departures from Hope's style "we've come to know & love," as they say. It's good! My intitial fave of the two songs is "Isn't it True."

Jonny noticed something unusual that went past me on first listening to "Isn't It True" - sleigh bells on it. One thing unusual I did notice & liked on "Isn't It True" is Hope overdubbing her voice in spots to create vocal harmonies. It's rare to get to hear Hope sing harmony. There are a few examples of it on song collaborations where she sings back up for other singers. Plus, on "Cherry Blossom Girl" she overdubs her voice to create harmonies. Always loved the sound of well crafted vocal harmonies. Since Hope has a rare talent few have for writing and delivering compelling vocal melodies,imo, I'd love to hear more of what she could do with creating more two-part harmonies. With luck, we'll hear her sing more harmonies on the album! I like the atmospheric harmonica on "She's in The Wall."

What do others here think about the single?
On RSD, 2014, I was late getting to stores and missed out on snagging Mazzy Star's "I'm Less Here/Things" 7" vinyl.
But luckily, today I snapped up the ONE & only copy I could see on the store shelf in Vancouver, BC. It might have been the only copy the store was able to order in, for all I know. Phew. I got there very early too (lined up 1.5 hours before the 8a.m. opening, & was among the first 20 in line). There were perhaps 150 people lined up by the time the store, Neptoon Records, opened at 8 a.m. It's a popular store, especially on RSD. And customers are all allowed to pile in. The store doesn't limit the number allowed in at one time. It quickly got packed & frenetic inside, & I was getting anxious 'cause I didn't see the record on first look across the singles shelves. From memory, I recalled the sleeve as orangey, but it's really mostly black/dark, & I was looking for orange! %$@# . A more careful search found it. Success snatched from the jaws of defeat! I hope all others who searched stores for it today were also rewarded for their efforts.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:47 pm

There's an official video out now for the new song "Isn't it True."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGWBWu-Rxg
If only every (nearly)50 year old singer was fortunate to sound & look as good, with talent undiminished...A pair of cats making repeating appearances, and a pair of Hope vocal tracks creating vocal harmonies! "Meow-wow."
Last edited by Hermesacat on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:41 pm

Those here who follow the popular Mazzy/Hope Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6071129794/
may already know this news. Group member Allan W. Cook found a listing today at Amazon for a another
new forthcoming Hope S&TWI single called "Let me Get There," a 10" vinyl single slated for a Sept 2 release with a $9.98 price. You can pre-order it, apparently.
https://www.amazon.com/Let-Get-There-Vi ... e+sandoval
Another pre-album teaser single?
Hermesacat

Re: Hope Sandoval&TWI - New Album 2016,new singles April,SEP

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:17 pm

Group member John Crawford at the Mazzy/Hope Facebook group today posted new info. re. Hope's upcoming new single and album, taken from Amazon's site.
https://www.amazon.com/Let-Get-There-Vi ... B01HOGDM48
[QUOTE]:
Let Me Get There [10" Vinyl Single]
Hope Sandoval And The Warm Inventions (Artist) Format: Vinyl
$9.98

Track Listings:
1. Let Me Get There, feat. Kurt Vile
2. That Spider

Editorial Reviews
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions is an indie alt band comprised of Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star and Colm Ó Cíosóig of My Bloody Valentine. This limited edition 10 inch is a two track black vinyl piece with the lead single 'Let Me Get There featuring Kurt Vile'. The lead track will be off the upcoming studio album, Until the Hunter, while the B side is exclusive to this release.

Vinyl (September 23, 2016)
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Tendril Tales
Hermesacat

Postby Homeostasis » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:33 am

So excited about all this. :shock:

Is that a new song they've uploaded to their website?
http://www.tendriltales.com/video.html

Damn. I hope people have been keeping track of what's been going on at that site. I hope we've not missed an entire album's worth of previews! :lol:
Homeostasis

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks Homeostasis for the alert re. the new song snippet/video at the mysterious Tendril Tales site. Yes, the site should be checked more often, evidently. A very appealing sounding song.

Btw, does anyone have a video downloader program that can snag this video? Mine was able to DL the prior video at the site, but they've changed their system at Tendril Tales & I can't DL this one, sadly, although I can record the audio okay.

Also btw, our webmaster here, Emma, has gone so quiet and hasn't posted here in many months. Where are you Emma??
Hermesacat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion