New Live Album

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: New Live Album

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:48 am

Thanks Spoon for your detailed, enthusiastic review, & for the CD photos links. And thanks Emma for the link to the 3 song clips from it. They're not blocked for me like Deezer's stream is. I'll want to listen & compare to the versions I have already.
Last edited by Hermesacat on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hermesacat

Postby Spoon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:50 am

You're welcome. I am happy to write a review. Will anyone listen to Blue Flower from KROQ and confirm or deny my suspicions about the skipping from 3:33 to 3:39? It could just be the way they recorded or played it. Thanks!
Still falling
Breathless and on again
Spoon

Postby MikeRMD » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:28 am

Hi All,

The middle of the 3 photos Spoon kindly provided links for is of the back cover and boy that photo of Hope makes her look like she's auditioning for the lead role in 'Carrie' or something. :lol:
Last edited by MikeRMD on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeRMD

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:41 am

Spoon: I listened to the 1994 KROQ broadcast version of Blue Flower I have. The same audio errors appear in my file at about the same point in the song (on mine they're at 3:41, 3:43, & 3:45). There are two that are most noticeable as if there were split second interruptions in the broadcast, then a third one not quite as noticeable, each about 2 seconds apart. The times are different from yours no doubt only 'cause of how the bootlegger ended up splitting the concert up into tracks on the file I have compared to how the CD makers did it.

Mike: Carrie? Scary!
Hermesacat

Postby Emma » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:37 am

Spoon wrote:Will anyone listen to Blue Flower from KROQ and confirm or deny my suspicions about the skipping from 3:33 to 3:39? It could just be the way they recorded or played it. Thanks!

Spoon,

Thanks for posting pictures of the album cover, including the one that reveals Hope's demonic side :twisted: :lol:.

I listened to the Deezer stream and the flac file and noticed the audio errors you reported for Blue Flower. It sounds like a few split seconds were skipped in the guitar finale. The problem can also be noticed in KROQ's YT stream. It sounds like a recording problem to me.
Emma
Site Admin

Postby MikeRMD » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:54 am

Hey Emma,

Cute demonic emoticon there!

'The Black Sessions' was mentioned earlier in this thread and I tried a couple of times to get a copy on Ebay but didn't luck out. I noticed all the time that the track listing had some errors. One was STTIMS was shortened, another was that Halah was spelled as Nalah, and the major error was that Wasted was listed when the actual song was Hair and Skin. Based on the fact that all the listings seemed to have the exact same errors I came to believe that the original CD's track listing was in error but I have no way to confirm this. Someone uploaded the supposed 'Wasted' track from 'The Black Sessions' to YouTube as 'Wasted' and a couple of people left comments that that was in error but it's never been corrected. The old Blvd had track listings for bootlegs and I can't recall at this time whether 'Wasted' was ever done live. MS were very good over their touring life in doing pretty well every track on their albums. I'm sure our resident archivist Hermesacat may know but are there any album tracks that the band never performed live?

Cheers,
Mike
MikeRMD

Postby alas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:08 am

Those photos are available via Gettyimages.com. Not sure what this means, but thought I'd put it out there.
alas

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Mike's question may have inspired me to start a new thread project soon of listing, chronologically, known band setlists or song lists from gig recordings. I believe although they performed most of their album songs live, there are a few songs from each album I've never heard live versions of. I stand to be corrected, but Taste of Blood, Free, Unreflected, Wasted, All Your Sisters, & Roseblood, may be examples of ones they never played live.

As Mike says, youtube uploaders are sometimes poor at correcting mistakes after errors have been pointed out by other youtubers. Are yt uploads of The Sundays doing "Wild Horses" still being wrongly touted as being "Mazzy Star" recordings, as they were for a long time?

As of yesterday, I have two new (to me) recordings of vintage Mazzy Star shows, a 1996 Paris one, & a 1994 Berlin one Scott Simpson shared with me. Previously, Scott 's shared the five 1990s Mazzy Star shows he recorded himself. He has a bunch of others he received in trades. The Paris & Berlin ones mentioned above are two of those. The Paris one's a DAT-2 audience recording & sounds excellent. I hope to share them via the boots list & via dimeadozen.org soon. They're raw transfers of show recordings, so I need to do some work on them first such as tracking them. There aren't a whole lot of 1996-7 shows circulating from when the band was playing a bunch of songs from 1996's "Among My Swan," as opposed to the many 1993-4 shows available. So, a "new", good quality 1996 show's welcome.

Also, I plan on upping a bunch more vintage Mazzy & Hope complete shows to my regular yt channel soon.
Currently, my main yt Channel is "on probation" with yt due to copyright infringement claims.
This means I'm not allowed to up anything longer than 15 minutes until the "probation" period ends.

The penalty period prompted by Neil Young's company's claim against my original yt upload of Mazzy Star's Bridge School Benefit video (which yt removed from my main Channel in June 2014) expires in a week & a half. Then I'll have full uploading privileges again, & so plan on upping some more full shows.
Hermesacat

Postby MikeRMD » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:25 am

Hermesacat you hardened criminal you! On probation. Tsk Tsk. :shock:

The rest of this post regards songs not performed live by MS from their 1st 3 albums and does not include their 4th (which I tend to ignore anyways because I don't think of it often if at all).

I thought after I posted last about MS album songs never performed live by them and should have remembered Roseblood as I posted on the old Blvd once about the band SpaceWaves having performed that song live during one of their MS tribute shows which at that point may never have been played live before. It was a good performance of it but it didn't draw much attention from the Blvd crowd. Unreflected was performed by MS during their short 2000 tour at least once because the Copenhagen show has it but it is slightly marred by feedback which is too bad because that's the only live version which has come to light.

Some other tracks I thought of are: Tell Me Now, Under My Car, and Had A Thought which are either from EP's or a Batman soundtrack. The latter song was uploaded to YouTube by a woman who comments that it's the most beautiful song ever.

So it appears like MS never performed live 5 songs from their 1st 3 albums plus the 3 other tracks I mention above. Still pretty good that they performed so much of their catalogue live so kudos to them for that!

Cheers,
Mike
MikeRMD

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:56 am

Ah, right. "Unreflected" done live 2000, Copenhagen. Missed that one. No, I didn't get as far as considering the "Seasons..." album's songs as far as live versions, yet.

"Tell Me Now" (Mazzy Star's 1995 song from the Batman Forever soundtrack) also has a live recording of it: The Mint, L.A., 1997. I upped the live version to yt a while back (same with "Unreflected" from Copenhagen).

I like it that, as well as playing live most songs they'd put out as studio releases (as Mike says), that over the years they also did a fair number of unreleased songs too that either stayed that way till belatedly getting released years or decades later, or remain unreleased to this day. I just wish more of those were findable via live recordings, that is, I wish they'd played more of those.

I'd view it as a major find if some other (currently unknown) unreleased 1990s Mazzy Star song turned up on some live 1990s show recording that came to light. Or, even if it was an interesting cover turning up of some song we hadn't heard the band do before.

It was a bit disappointing they were rather unadventurous with their set lists on their 2013 tour.
No unreleased songs, & almost identical set lists from gig to gig across 15 shows. The main difference was some lucky cities got to hear an extra song or two compared to others.

At some point, I heard that Spacewaves "Mazzy Star tribute" gig Mike cites, & enjoyed it despite the fact the recording quality wasn't great. I recall it sounded like it was recorded at the back of a hall with a cheap recorder.

You Tube's wording for the (unjustly, imo!) penalized state of my yt Channel isn't "probation," it's "Bad Standing" (re. "Copyright"). But my "Bad Standing" expires in a few days, on June 20, which I'll view as equivalent to a "Full Pardon"!
Hermesacat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion