INTERVIEWS/Articles (45) (Vintage), Mazzy Star 1988 to 1997

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: INTERVIEWS/Articles (43) (Vintage), Mazzy Star, 1989 to

Postby GordonHobs » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:22 pm

1988 June - SPEX - Musik zur Zeit 06-88 - page 20-21

Opal - Die Hippie-Literatur-Beilage

Text: Clara Drechsler
Photos: Wolfgang Burat

Last edited by GordonHobs on Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GordonHobs

Postby GordonHobs » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:33 pm

EB/METRONOM Nr. 50 • September/Oktober 1994

mazzy star - impressionen aus dem zeitlupenland

Text: Reinhard Schielke
Photos: Moni Kellermann

Last edited by GordonHobs on Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonHobs

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:30 am

Many thanks Gordon for finding and sharing these articles. Great finds. I will put together English translations of them and re-post them above with text, including, text of the original German.
Hermesacat

Postby GordonHobs » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:34 pm

The pdfs I've used for the screenshots have OCRs. That makes it probably easier for translation:

Spex 06/88: https://tapeattack.blogspot.com/2015/07 ... -koln.html
EB/Metronom 50/94: https://tapeattack.blogspot.com/2020/11 ... -koln.html

By the way, you've done a good translation of the EB/Metronom article (Spex will be a little harder because of the underlying irony).
GordonHobs

Re: INTERVIEWS/Articles (44) (Vintage), Mazzy Star, 1989 to

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:28 am

I today posted text versions (English + original German) of the EB METRONOM Sept. - Oct. issue Mazzy Star article (Gordon Hobs found & shared pages from) along with the other interviews, chronologically, above. I'm glad Gordon, a German speaker, thinks my attempt at translation using multiple translation services and comparing results turned out okay.

I agree the Spex Opal article unfortunately looks harder to translate. So far, I just have Google Translate's take on it, and skimmed through it quickly, and it looks daunting with so many sentences whose meanings are unclear on first look. If I can hopefully render David's quotes accurately at least, those are the parts most important to get right.
Hermesacat

Re: INTERVIEWS/Articles (45) (Vintage), Mazzy Star, 1989 to

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:53 pm

Today I posted text versions of the 1988, June issue, SPEX mag article/interview kindly shared above in mag page screenshots by Gordon Hobs, earlier. I posted my attempted English translation from the original German, using multiple translation services, and comparing results. Unfortunately, the German writer is particularly difficult to translate in spots as her style and content are sometimes non-straightforward and eccentric, and confuse translation services and me. It's likely that meanings that ended up in some English sentences, are not the same meanings as the German writer intended. And some English sentences have unclear meanings. But hopefully I was able to render David's own comments accurately enough. He's easier to follow. He's quite talkative in this interview. My post appears above along with the other interviews, chronologically. It's currently the first article chronologically. -Hermesacat/Bob B.
Hermesacat

Previous

Return to General Discussion