Happy Birthday, Hope

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: Happy Birthday, Hope

Postby MikeRMD » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:37 am

Hi all,

I've thought this before but things are being posted in this thread that are interesting but many viewers may never look at this thread because they couldn't care less about someone's birthday. Not being malicious but I have been fans of many groups and artists and never knew nor cared about their birthday or zodiac sign for that matter. One person commented on the lack of activity here at Emma's place but much of that is due to the band. Their tour was very short and bypassed many areas of high population (Texas for example) and then the rumoured European tour never happened and as Hermesacat mentions the band is back in the shadows. I don't FaceBook so don't know if the band is keeping some contact with fans there or not but we shouldn't be surprised at lack of interest when the band is not touring or releasing music.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who might be interested in Hope's birthday but a why a thread for her and not for David who's every bit as important to the sound of the band we love (well for me except much of their 4th album which does not in any way live up to Led Zeppelin IV nor Black Sabbath Vol. 4 -those were great 4th albums although Black Sabbath drummer Bill Ward commented later that it was a dumb title as there were no Vol.'s 1 through 3).

Cheers,
Mike
MikeRMD

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:27 am

If Spoon wanted to start a thread with the title "Happy Birthday Hope," hey, why not? I was happy to contribute a comment to it this year on her B-day. And if someone else wants to look up Roback's B-day & start a "Happy B-day David" thread, that's great too! Each to his own.

Frontpersons in bands often do attract most attention, especially when they're as photogenic as Hope & with a voice & melodic talent even more beguiling than her attractive form. Non-singing guitarists who draw as much attention as the singer are rare, Jimmy Page being an example. But David's style suggests he's not trying to be a guitar hero, or wanting to be one.There's that famous phrase applied to Eric Clapton in the mid-1960s, "Clapton is God!" I like David's playing a lot, especially his slide, but his style surely isn't likely to invite screams from audiences of "Roback is God!" However, I can more easily picture someone yelling out, "Hope, you're a goddess!"

Not that Mazzy Star doesn't have & deserve lots of devoted female fans, but from youtube analytics stats I get to see (as uploader) re. my Mazzy Star uploads, the uploads have far more male viewers than female. The average per upload appears to be over 70% male viewers to less than 30% female. I'm pretty sure this is due to Hope's female charisma appealing to males, more than it's due to guitar worshipping males being enamoured of David over Hope. Youtube viewer comments at Mazzy Star uploads also clearly suggest Hope's the main draw, & it's she that makes the biggest impact on viewers/lsteners. Some, like Mike, may think this Hope-centric Mazzy Star fandom is hopelessly unfair to David, & it probably is, but that's the way things are, & that's human nature, apparently!
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:18 am

Born June 24, 1966 in Los Angeles, Hope's now 50! Congrats to her & Happy B-Day. Surely, it's a good year for a new album and tour!
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 am

It's JUNE 24th again (2017 this time). Do you know who's celebrating their 51-years-young birthday today? Yes, HOPE'S 51 TODAY (born 1966). May she have a Happy B-day and Many Happy Returns. And may talented Hope hopefully never retire from writing, singing, recording, and doing live gigs now & then!

Trivia: 1966, Hope's birth year, was the year the Rolling Stones released several albums including "Aftermath" which contained the 11-minute song "Goin' Home", the Rolling Stones song Stones fan Hope said she and Sylvia Gomez named their early duo Going Home after. Lots of other prominent albums were released in 1966. It was a good year for music - including being the year Mazzy Star's future singer would be born!
Last edited by Hermesacat on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermesacat

Postby Emma » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Hermesacat,

Nice photo of a smiling Hope...
I think it was taken with Nicole Presley, who took part in the 2002 Warm Inventions tour as a keyboardist/backing singer.
I remember her posting this photo to her social networks. It think it was taken during the sound check session of the Minneapolis show in 2002.
Emma
Site Admin

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks Emma for the info you have about that photo. As of this writing my embedded photo has dsappeared as Photobucket cancelled my "3rd party hosting" (embedding photos on websites) free feature and I won't pay their stiff new fees to continue with them. I'll try to repost all my Photobucket pics I posted here via another hosting service, instead.

You're right, the uncropped photo has both Hope & Nicole Presley in it, but I removed Nicole 'cause I wanted to post a Hope B-day pic with just Hope in it. Once I get a new photo hosting method sorted out, I'll post the uncropped photo with Nicole restored.
[Later edit: I've switched to IMGUR photo hosting which embeds photos here free of charge. I imagine it may take some time to replace all my dead Photobucket embed links with new IMGUR ones].
Hermesacat

Previous

Return to General Discussion