BAND(s) HISTORY, Anecdotes, Bios, Trivia

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: BAND(s) HISTORY, Anecdotes, Bios, Trivia

Postby drugstore » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:05 am

And there's another interesting post from the link below:
https://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelecte ... eadid=1093

menerrrca posted a memory comment to "Fade Into You" by Mazzy Star.
"I saw the Hope Sandoval girl at a Hope concert one time in 2001. Sooooooooo pretty right? Well the 1 thing I remember...you know she never smiles never talks between songs, but sometimes shed finish a song, turn to her drummer and say....... ""COMB ANOTHER JUJUBE"". Dont know what COMB was about, but every time the drummer went up to Hope, had a Jujube at the end of his thumb, slid thumb UNDER THE EDGE OF HOPES JAW, UNDER THE SKIN OF HOPES CHEEK so you couldnt see it. Pulled his thumb out, there was Hope chewing Jujube with a little smile, she started singing again.

""COMB ANOTHER JUJUBE"", thumb thru face, 5 or 6 times I swear. Than Hopes drummer said he had 1 Jujube left, slid thumb under Hopes face but this time only half way, he made a face and pulled out. There was Hope....big squishey lump half way down her cheek, IN her skin not udner it. She blushes hard then RUNS off stage, drummer runs after her with twezers?

In papers next day: MAZZY STAR SINGER WALKS OFF STAGE, thats it. I ask my friend who was 5 rows back, she says nothing happen that day, nothing with Jujubes I mean. But I was in the 1st row, I know Hopes secret and maybe Im the only one :X"
drugstore

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Drugstore: Thanks for the recent posts you made with more info. re Hope & JAMC. Plus the amusing story of Hope, Colm, & the ju jubes. Someone posted that same story about the ju jubes to the forum at the old Mazzy Star Blvd. site, but it became a "lost" post after that site went defunct. I once tried finding it again later using the Wayback Machine to see if it had archived that forum thread. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it again that way. Archive.org did a poor job of copying for their web archives contents of Mazzy Star Blvd's forum. Very few forum posts seem to have gotten archived. Other sections of the site are more intact as archives.
Thanks for bringing that story back.

I likely won't be posting here or online much in general over the next month as I'll be vacationing and may be largely away from net activities. We'll see. I hope I don't miss too much Hope & Mazzy news while away!
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Kendra Smith Emerges From Decades of Seclusion to Sing on a new Dream Syndicate album, 2017.
Article:
https://medium.com/@davidchiu/kendra-sm ... 2da2f271b8
Plus, here's a youtube link to the new song Kendra sings on,"Kendra's Dream":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvVLSNnEVm4

David Chiu
Sep 13, 2017

Kendra Smith: A Musical Disappearing Act Reemerges

The reclusive singer, who hasn’t released new music in 22 years, makes a surprise appearance on the new Dream Syndicate album

“Kendra’s Dream,” the final track on the Dream Syndicate’s new reunion record, How Did I Find Myself Here?, is perhaps the most uncharacteristic-sounding song from the band. Aside from its moody ambient and atmospheric textures, a departure from the Syndicate’s dynamic guitar-driven rock, “Kendra’s Dream,” stands out because Steve Wynn, the group’s guitarist and main vocalist, doesn’t sing on it. Rather, it is performed by a female whose deep and charismatic voice recalls Nico, Patti Smith, and Marianne Faithfull. The lyrics are very stream-of-consciousness in its depiction of someone who is at peace with her natural surroundings and within herself (“I keep having the same dream/It’s a beautiful dream”), doesn’t follow convention (“I defy expectation, habit, law and repetition”), and perhaps thrives on quiet and solitude (“Lock of night is turned by this key/My hermit mind is not the same”).

This somewhat personal song off of the Dream Syndicate’s first new album in nearly three decades is sung by the reclusive Kendra Smith, the band’s former bassist, as well as the ex-singer for Opal, the group that later became Mazzy Star. Her appearance on “Kendra’s Dream” is a surprise for two reasons: It’s the first time she has appeared on a Dream Syndicate studio album in 35 years, and it also marks her return on a recording since her last solo record, 1995’s Five Ways of Disappearing. At the time of that latter release, Smith was living in a rural part of northern California in relative seclusion. “I’ve been living a low-key life and playing music at home,” she told Craig Rosen for Billboard in 1995.

In a recent interview with Slicing Up Eyeballs, Steve Wynn explained that he wrote words and added his vocal on an early version of “Kendra’s Dream,” but it didn’t feel right. Then he had the idea of having Smith sing on the track. “I got in touch with her, and at first I think she wasn’t completely sure she wanted to, for various reasons,” he said. “She hadn’t been doing records in a while, and also, none of us were really into the nostalgia trip. But I told her it wasn’t that. It would be great to work together. She came through…and she said, ‘I’ve tried something, I’m going to send it to you.’ She recorded where she lives, she recorded herself and sent me the track. I woke up on a Sunday morning with these six .WAV files sitting in my inbox…I couldn’t wait to plug them into the song and listen, and I went, ‘Wow.’ That is real. That was it. That was what the song needed. That’s Kendra.”

With the exception of The Days of Wine and Roses and Five Ways of Disappearing, the rest of her music, including with Opal, remains out of print. Before the new Dream Syndicate album, Smith’s lengthy public recording hiatus had some people speculating about her whereabouts online. (Coinciding with the release of that album, Smith gave a recent and very rare interview with the British music magazine Uncut). Now with “Kendra’s Dream,” Smith joins a select group of female cult artists who have recently reemerged after decades-long absences from either recording, performing live, or both: Vashti Bunyan, Linda Perhacs, and the most famous of them all, Kate Bush. And like those artists, Smith has always followed her muse rather than having the music industry dictate her art. In the Spin Alternative Record Guide, Ivan Kreilkamp described Smith as “the Dream Syndicate’s Nico and Moe Tucker at once, smoky chanteuse and necessary time-keeper.” Her bass playing inspired Naomi Yang to take up the instrument when her band Galaxie 500 started in 1987. “I really admired her,” Yang told Pitchfork in 2011. “So when Damon [Krukowski] and Dean [Wareham] started to form another band and were looking for a bass player, I was like, ‘I want to try.’”

“Kendra was basically involved in two great bands, the Dream Syndicate and Opal, both legendary ’80s college rock bands,” says the writer Pat Thomas, who has worked on the Dream Syndicate album reissues, and is the author of the new book Did It! From Yippie To Yuppie: Jerry Rubin, An American Revolutionary. He is one of the few people who has maintained contact with Smith. “She becomes almost a bit mythological,” he says. “The only thing I can say about that is that it’s not calculated. It’s not like she purposely stayed off the grid for two decades so we’ll all be talking about her…she lives from the land, on the land, she uses solar power, pumps her own water, has chickens and donkeys, is very much living from the earth in the traditional way that someone would’ve done two centuries ago. That’s very important to her and very authentic.”

The sense of aura and mystery that surrounds Smith wasn’t apparent in the early part of her career. An Army brat from San Diego, Smith met Wynn at the University of California, Davis; both of them started a New Wave outfit called Suspects in the late ’70s. On the group’s spunky single ”It’s Up to You”/”Talking Loud,” Smith, who was the lead singer, sounded more in the vein of Pat Benatar than Nico. Her true voice wouldn’t emerge until her next endeavor.

After Suspects folded, Smith and Wynn formed the Dream Syndicate in Los Angeles with guitarist Karl Precoda and drummer Dennis Duck; this time Wynn served as the lead singer and Smith as the bassist. The group became the darlings of the city’s Paisley Underground scene with the release of the critically-acclaimed The Days of Wine and Roses (1982), an album whose noisy guitar-charged post-punk rock recalled such acts as the Velvet Underground, Neil Young, and Creedence Clearwater Revival. “The Dream Syndicate was the ultimate band experience,” Smith once said. “The music had darkness and humor, live performances were primitive and wild, and we played freely with improvisation and drone.” She only sang one track on The Days of Wine and Roses, the hazy and jazzy ballad “Too Little Too Late,” resulting in a cool and detached yet magnificent performance on the record.

But prior to the recording of the band’s major label debut Medicine Show, Smith left the Dream Syndicate in 1983 (“I could foresee that it had to be a space for Steve to do his trip, and I wanted to do more than play bass,” Smith told Gina Arnold for Option magazine in 1995). She later collaborated with guitarist David Roback, formerly of Rain Parade, on his album project Rainy Day, in which members of Paisley Underground bands like the Three O’Clock, the Bangles, and the Dream Syndicate offered their interpretations of ’60s and ’70s songs. On that record, Smith gave sublime and eloquent vocal performances on Buffalo Springfield’s folkish “Flying on the Ground Is Wrong,” and Big Star’s hauntingly stark ballad “Holocaust.”

Smith and Roback formed the group Clay Allison (which released 1984’s Fell from the Sun EP), which later became Opal. In 1987, Opal released its full-length debut, Happy Nightmare Baby, an underrated gem in which Smith’s languid and deadpan vocals played against Roback’s piercing, feedback-drenched guitar; that album’s sound channeled ’60s psychedelic pop with influences as diverse as Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd, the Doors, and T.Rex. However, after a tour, Smith departed from Opal. “It was really apparent we were going in really different directions in a lot of ways: musically and in our approach to what music’s for, what you’re going to do with it, where you’re going with it. And Roback and I have really different ideas about how to do things,” she later told CMJ.

Singer Hope Sandoval took Smith’s place in Opal, which then evolved into Mazzy Star. Smith acknowledged her pattern of leaving bands on the verge of breaking out. “But I have to do that,” she said to Option. “The whole point is that I have to do things while it’s living and really vital — while it’s either doing something for me or fulfilling my ideas about what music should really be and do. Why waste time?”

After Opal, Smith relocated from Los Angeles to the woods north of San Francisco. There she grew her own food, relied on a solar panel for electricity, and used a stove for heat. In the evenings, she would play musical instruments such as her acoustic guitar inside the cabin. In 1992, she released The Guild of Temporal Adventurers EP, recorded with musicians Jonah Corey and A. Phillip Uberman. That record highlighted Smith’s use of the harmonium (or pump organ), an instrument Nico employed on her ’70s solo records. The German singer is an obvious comparison to Smith in terms of their singing style and avant-garde tendencies. “She’s pretty interesting, and she has been an influence,” Smith told Billboard. “She’s one of the cooler female artists, ever.”

The Guild of Temporal Adventurers drew the interest of British indie label 4AD, which signed Smith and released her first and so far only full-length record, Five Ways of Disappearing, in 1995. A cosmic and Gothic-sounding effort with stream-of-consciousness lyrics, Five Ways of Disappearing drew on Middle Eastern influences, such as on “Aurelia” and “Bohemian Zebulon”; and gentle folk on “Valley of the Morning Sun.” She even covered “Bold Marauder,” which was originally recorded by the ’60s folk duo Richard and Mimi Farina.

Following Five Ways of Disappearing, and her cover version of “Heart and Soul” for a Joy Division tribute album, Smith was never heard on another released recording again. With the exception of some appearances in New York and Hollywood, her last known public performance occurred at the Terrastock festival in San Francisco in 1998. “The crowd was very reverential,” says Thomas, who saw Smith’s set at that event. “It was one of the few performances where people didn’t stand. There was such an anticipation of the event that everybody sat down in a sort of respectful way.”

With “Kendra’s Dream,” Smith’s surprise appearance on the new Dream Syndicate album provides some sense of closure of sorts for both parties — Wynn called the track “the perfect coda to the record, tying up loose ends from the past and then opening them up again to the future.” This latest left-of-field return continues Smith’s streak of being unpredictable and furthers cement her cult-like status. “I really like to use luck and random factors and all the unpredictable things in making music,” she told CMJ around the time of Five Ways of Disappearing. “I don’t really like to overly plan what’s going to happen.”
Hermesacat

Postby Emma » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:29 pm

As Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions are currently touring, I'm posting below an article by Hope's niece, Nicole Presley.

Nicole Presley, toured with Hope Sandoval and The Warm Inventions in 2002 as a keyboardist/backing singer.
In one of the posts of her cooking blog, she explained what she, Hope and the rest of the band did during a day off of the 2002 European tour. Feel free to try the Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding recipe!

http://presleyspantry.com/2011/03/14/ch ... d-pudding/

“I could feel your energy, it’s very strong. I could tell by looking in your eyes, you are a very old wise soul.” These were the first words I heard as we entered into the gates of Christiania, Copenhagen. Now mind you, this wasn’t a fortune teller expressing these words to me, it was simply a woman passing me by. I wasn’t sure what to expect of Christiania, I had heard all these magical wonderful stories of how it was a real life version of Pinocchio’s “Pleasure Island”. I had heard how creative people had taken over this piece of land in Denmark, and gave it to the poor, along with Greenlanders, and talented musicians. It was now a place where progressive thinking thrived, and anyone who craved a liberated lifestyle could come to this great commune and feel at home. It was August of 2002, and I was on tour with my aunt Hope, singing backing vocals and playing keyboards as part of The Warm Inventions (Hope Sandoval and The Warm Inventions). We had a few days off and the band decided Copenhagen would be a grand place to pass our free time. Within two hours of arriving and parking our tour bus, a plan was mapped out, taxi cabs were called, and we were on our way to Christiania. En route there, Hope continued to school me on all the in’s and out’s of Christiania…telling me that it was a place where cannabis, hash, and hallucinogenic mushrooms were sold freely, and if you didn’t have enough money they would also be willing to barter with the individual. Even though this was not an activity we would take part in, it is an important piece of information one needs to know in order to get a full understanding of the place. She went on to tell me that many chefs had opened five star restaurants in the commune and were generating a lot of traffic to the area. No one was allowed to take photographs anywhere on site, and police cars were forbidden from entering along with taxi cabs, therefore we would have to be dropped off at the gate. So like I said…I didn’t know what to expect.

We finally arrive, and are dropped off at the side of a dirt road. The taxi cab driver gives us his phone number and tells us he will return to pick us up in the exact same spot, all we need to do is give him a call when we are ready. We walk through the big rod iron gate that is separating Christiania from the rest of Copenhagen, and make our way through what resembles a swap meet. Little tents stand all lined up side by side, vending beaded bracelets, glass blown pipes, and colorful cute summer dresses. The sun is just about to set when we come to a section of the commune that houses some of the best restaurants in all of Copenhagen. We chose one that was made out of big rocks. The smell of delicious-ness wafted us at the door. I remember everything was made of wood inside, the floors, high ceilings with the beams exposed, the chairs, stools and the massive long table they sat us all at. It was the most casual, laid back experience I had ever witnessed. The waitress smoked puff after puff as she took our order. There were dogs and cats lounging around, some even under our table. Yet every meal described on the menu sounded absolutely divine. It would have taken wild horses to pull me away from my plate that night. Everyone at the dinner table went silent once the food was served. There was no time for talking, the main focus was tasting and eating. All you heard was “Ummmmm”, and little sounds of pleasure under the tongue. At that point of my gastronomic journey I was in heaven, and ready to be in a food coma. There was no way I would fall short without requesting dessert, didn’t matter how full I was. I ordered the chocolate croissant bread pudding….it was out of this world. Now I could officially say I lived the magic firsthand. I wondered why this place was famous for forward thinking and not for their bread pudding?

Here is my version of the Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding I sampled many moons ago in the beautiful Danish community of Christiania.

Ingredients for Bread Pudding:

1 1/2 tablespoons of salted butter
1 1/4 – cups sugar plus 2 tablespoons
4 – eggs
1 – teaspoon cinnamon
1 – teaspoon almond extract
1 – teaspoon vanilla
3 – cups half and half
1 – cup whole milk
5 – tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and brought back to room temperature)
5 – cups moist chocolate cake (no frosting) (cut into small squares)
5 – cups stale (3 – 4 days old) croissants (cut into small squares)
2 – banana (sliced)
1 – cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 – cup chopped pecans
1/2 – cup shredded sweetened coconut
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F

In a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish, take salted butter and generously grease entire dish. Cut both chocolate cake and croissants into cubes.
Now take 2 1/2 cups of chocolate cake and 2 1/2 cups of croissants and mix together in baking dish. Now arrange neatly to make your first layer .
Next neatly lay banana slices, chocolate chips, shredded coconut and pecans.
Mix remaining croissant and chocolate cakes cubes together, then top banana, chocolate chip, pecan, coconut layer with mixed cake/croissant cubes.
Now, with a electric mixer, beat 1 1/4 cups sugar and eggs together on high for 6 minutes. Next add cinnamon, almond extract, vanilla, half and half, milk and unsalted butter, and beat for 1 minute. Carefully ladle egg/half and half mixture over prepared cake/croissant cubes.
Once all of the egg/half and half mixture is poured in, gently press down on cake/croissant cubes with both hands to make sure they are soaked in egg/half and half mixture. Then sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
Now in a large baking dish or roasting pan (15 x 10 inches or 4 quarts) fill 1 inch deep with hot water to create a water bath, then place the 9 x 13 inch prepared bread pudding dish in the middle of the 15 x 10 water bath (you want the bath to go halfway up the side of the 9 x 13 inch dish) and place in oven for 1 hour.
As soon as the bread pudding is ready, remove from water bath and and let it cool for 15 minutes.
I enjoy serving mine warn with coconut pineapple ice cream (I use Haagen Dazs) on top, and colorful candy sugar sprinkles. I could eat bowl after bowl….
Happiness is Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding!
Emma
Site Admin

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:12 pm

First-hand anecdotes about BERT JANSCH being a big MAZZY STAR fan in the 1990s, plus reminiscences about MAZZY STAR & HOPE shows

From "Kneesfudd," a member of popular live show torrent sharing site, dimeadozen.org. Among other things, Kneesfudd shared there a rare recording of Opal with Hope from the 1987 U.S. tour just weeks after she'd joined the band, replacing Kendra Smith, the only 1987 recording of Opal with Hope I've heard, so far.

Background: Bert Jansch and Hope collaborated on four song recordings that have been released, two on the "Bavarian Fruit Bread" album: (the songs "Butterfly Mornings" and "Charlotte"), one on Bert's album "Edge of a Dream" ("All This Remains"), and one song on Mazzy Star's album "Seasons of Your Day" ("Spoon"). Hope and David became friends with Bert and also performed with Bert as two of a number of musical guests playing at one of his 60th Birthday concerts in 2003. Hope reportedly sang "All This Remains" at that show, along with "Suzanne," plus one other song the reviewer that named the songs couldn't identify. I'd love to hear a recording.

I've gathered together Kneesfudd's bits of anecdote he sent me via Dime messages and post them here
as they're interesting enough to share. Something I did not know before was that, according to
Kneesfudd who knew him, Bert was a big Mazzy Star fan at least as early as 1993. Hope has spoken
in interviews many times about working with Bert but as far as I know she never mentioned Bert had been
a fan of Mazzy Star in the 1990s.

Also, Kneesfudd offers his own startling observation of seeing more than one Mazzy Star show where band members appeared to be "nodding out" on stage. He didn't say which members, and hasn't yet answered my follow up question asking which band members was he referring to. Kneesfudd's implication with his term "nodding out" is band members appeared to him to be using heroin or other opioids and were drifting into the drowsy, daydreaming, opoioid-ed twilight state of being "on the nod."
Can anyone else reading this who saw the band in the 1990s confirm any similar on stage behaviour? I must ask
Scott Simpson about Kneesfudd's claim as he saw six 1990s Mazzy Star shows in the NYC area from 1990 to 1996.

*************************************************************************************
[KNEESFUDD'S ANECDOTES & REMINISCENCES. Note: text contained in square brackets is
my own commentary I've inserted. KNEESFUDD QUOTES]:

i had the great pleasure of driving the folks from pentangle around on some tours.
a 1993 tour found me for some days with jansch, renbourn and mcshee in my
grandfather's old chevrolet citation, driving around the east coast, with bert and
john basically not speaking to each other. bert always sat in the front passenger
seat and listened to headphones. at that time i was REALLY into mazzy star - after
the first album came out and we started seeing shows, i was pretty addicted to them
for about 5 years or so. i was more than amused to find out that bert was listening
to them over and over again on his walkman in the car. then i guess in '96 i was
working in england buying rare records and found out mazzy star were playing a few
gigs. i immediately flew to paris for a few days and say the batofar gig on the
seine - incredible scene in the small bar in the hull of the boat for about 150(?)
people crushed into the little room (is there a recording around?). then i flew back
to london for the gig the next night(?) at union chapel. we couldn't get tix for
that sold out gig, so we went up to the place in the early afternoon and wandered
around trying to figure out how to get in. turned out there was a clothing
donation/charity place set up in the basement of the back of the church. we went
in and talked the someone there. the guy said if we helped sort clothes for a
couple of hours, he would get us into the gig. worked out great and i got a free
silk shirt in the bargain. anyway, that gig was also great. is there a tape around?
seems like my friend must have taped it, i should ask him. they played some weird
song, maybe "mona", with a quicksilver messenger service bent to it. the gig was
excellent and quite different than the batofar. i ran into bert in the back of
the church during the gig and he was psyched (in his very low-key way) because
(if i remember rightly) he'd just gotten to meet hope. i think the next the next
year was when they first discussed some sort of collaboration. fun times.
..............................................................................................
[I suggested to Kneesfudd that maybe Hope was being self-effacing in interviews when speaking
about Bert Jansch by neglecting to mention Bert had been a huge Mazzy Star fan in the 1990s.
Kneesfudd replied]:

i would guess hope might have been being diplomatic, but remember bert was not one
to wax eloquently... one on one he was pretty cool, but he tended towards the
quiet side. bert was a star in the folk world but that tended to be somewhat
obscure fame by the 80s. the big push towards contemporary folk and rock crossover
in the 90s, which i was heavily involved with, kinda pushed the folk artists into
a different limelight than they'd been in for years. mazzy star was already a
bigger draw of an act than pentangle by the time hope and bert connected. gotta
remember pentangle wasn't the original band. late 80s/early 90s bert was still
playing coffeehouses - his fame and fortune of the original pentangle times was
more a memory. the guy was incredibly highly respected, but m.star was probably
the bigger act. their scene was weird, though. it took a long time for that
first album to get the recognition it deserved.
.............................................................................................
[I sent Kneesfudd a Victoria BC concert promoter's 2012 newspaper story about Mazzy Star playing
his club "Harpos" in 1993, QUOTE: "They had walked off stage (in a huff),
so I went to their van and said, 'Guys you really have to
come back on.' It was like talking to stoned children. And
(singer Hope Sandoval) said, 'But nobody's listening, nobody cares.'
I said something that eventually got them back, and they finished
the set. Their tour manager said to me, 'They always leave the stage,
but I've never seen them come back. What did you say?'"
Keneesfudd replied]:

stoned children pretty much describes things exactly.
sometimes when i saw them band members were nodding out on stage. one time in particular was pretty embarrassing. then i saw hope's famous boston paradise appearance where she got in the LONG f*** you fight with members of the audience and stormed off. it was insane. after some minutes of yelling back & forth, we went to a bouncer & suggested he toss the people she was arguing with (though her comments had set them off...). the bouncer said, "f*** her, i heard what she said about the club" & let it roll. a prima donna beyond comprehension but a great voice & great songs.
......................................................................................
while i saw mazzy star a number of times early on, and on a couple of "reunion" tours,
i've only seen hope once - the infamous boston paradise show [2002] - one of the top 3
weirdest concert experiences i've ever had (out of 2-3 thousand nights...).
m.star was one thing, sometimes band members nodding out on stage, but hope's
exchanges with some feisty members of the audience in boston was incredibly
bizarre. hope managed to chase out more than half the audience that night.
most gave up and figured she wasn't going to return to the stage, or were
so insulted by her comments that they bailed. anyway.

the '02 boston tape [bootleg. One findable in the boots list here at mazzystar.free.fr]
doesn't really capture the serious weirdness of the situation.
hope definitely amped up the problems a lot - very uncool and i remember listening
to her comments with disbelief. however the 3 people near the front who kept
yelling "f' you" were WAY out of control. i went to security and asked to have
them tossed out. the comment from the bouncers (regarding hope) was, we heard what
she said about the club, "f' her" - they refused to do their job. it was extremely
fortunate no-one started throwing things. i seem to remember the tape cuts off for
a while, so you don't realise the band was gone from the stage for quite some time,
which led to a fairly major exodus of the audience.

i'm curious what show bert opened for mazzy star. do you know the date and is it
really true? i can ask a friend in london if he knows

[Hope spoke in a few interviews about her & David requesting Bert Jansch, if possible, play one of their (likley 1996) London bills, and they were thrilled Bert agreed and played their show (all he asked was £100 plus cab fare)].
[Later edit: January 2018: Re. kneesfudd's recollection of Mazzy Star members "nodding out' onstage, junkie-like, a "reliable source" connected to the band has informed me no one in the band was ever a heroin addict or user. Instead, they said WINE has always been a drug of choice of the band (and not just with known wine-enjoyer Hope). My reliable source suggests if band members ever appeared incapacitated on stage due to apparent over-indulgence in substances, wine would have been the likely cause, not heroin. Cheers.
Last edited by Hermesacat on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hermesacat

Postby drugstore » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:00 am

Hermescat: Thanks for the Bert&Mazzy anecdote. I'm curious did the Bert's birthday show an open show or just a private show for friends of them? Hope the record of the show will turn up one day.
drugstore

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 pm

drugstore: You can find video on youtube of a BBC TV concert celebrating Bert Jansch's 60th B-day, but it contains no footage of Hope or David. It turns out there was more than one such concert for Bert's 60th. The one Hope & David attended was on a different date at a different venue. As far as I know, they were public events, not private. Somewhere at homesandoval.com is a page with a review of the 2003 Bert concert H & D played.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:47 am

HOPE SANDOVAL is MARRIED to BARRY BÖDEKER,
the artist who created the record sleeve art for all Hope's and Mazzy Star's records of recent years.
My faves by him are his psychedelic-coloured horse sleeve for Hope's 2017 "Son of a Lady" e.p., and his cat cover for Mazzy Star's "Seasons of Your Day." He also did the 2017 tour poster (using a Luz Gallardo photo, I think), plus created the slide show/stage projection for the Warm Inventions gigs of the October, 2017 tour. I especially like some of his psychedelic/dream-like landscape slides, and the "shape-shifter" cat woman from his stage projections.

I first posted this news "scoop" to the FB fan Group in a rather low key way, mentioning the fact in a new comment added to an older thread where I'd previously speculated Hope & Colm were a couple. By way of correcting that misinformation, I posted a new comment there noting Hope's in fact married to Barry Bodeker.

I believe Hope and Colm were once a couple as evidence from interviews and elsewhere suggests they were. They did live together many years and it seems unlikely those were all platonic years. Anyway, they are no longer a couple.

An unimpeachable source, imo, someone well placed to know this fact, informed me directly recently, QUOTE: "Barry [Bodeker] is Hope's husband," noting he has done record sleeve art work for Hope Sandoval and The Warm Inventions records. My helpful informant added, QUOTE: "Barry [is a] very personable guy, in natural keeping with the great 'Irish' vibe of the band!"

The other bit of evidence regarding Hope's marriage that came straight to me is a member at the FB fan Group messaged me saying he'd met Hope & Colm at a venue of the October 2017 tour and Hope herself had volunteered the info to him, telling him she was married.

Check out Barry's impressive art here: https://barrybodeker.myportfolio.com/
He has an unusual video up in his stage projections section, here: https://barrybodeker.myportfolio.com/stage 1.5 minutes long of Hope & the band on stage, not playing, but just standing there while Barry runs his projection images. It was evidently shot just to demonstrate the projection imagery. Plus, there are nice stage photos by Luz Gallardo of the band and of the projected images.
Last edited by Hermesacat on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hermesacat

Previous

Return to General Discussion