LIVE SHOWS (Mostly) RECORDINGS LIST w/download links

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: BOOTLEGS LIST with download links (Mazzy,Hope,Opal,etc.)

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:21 pm

New addition:
Four 1980s Opal/Clay Allison e.p.s & singles collected together, here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/4x1drjw ... Morgan.zip
Good quality vinyl rips David Morgan (opalstardream) made from his collection of vinyl
recordings of Opal and Clay Allison, & shared in 2016. Included are his photo scans of
the records & their sleeves. These same songs also appear on the albums "Opal Early Recordings", vols. 1 & 2
listed in this boots list. But these vinyl rips are good quality, & sound a bit different from
the CDs (the second of which, Vol. 2, is reportedly an unauthorized bootleg CD masquerading as a legit Rough Trade release), & some may prefer the sound of the recordings from the vinyl. Kendra Smith was Opal's singer at this time before Hope replaced her in late 1987.

The file contains 4 sub-folders:

-Clay Allison - Fell From the Sun, 45 single (1983)
01 Fell From the Sun
02 All Souls
-Opal - Fell From the Sun e.p. (1984)
01 Fell From the Sun
02 Freight Train
03 Grains of Sand
(note the credits on the record sleeve don't mention Opal or
Clay Allison but credit the recording to Kendra Smith,
David Roback, & Keith Mitchell)
Opal - Northern Line e.p. (1985)
01 Northern Line
02 Empty Bottles
03 Soul Giver
-Opal - Indian Summer (recorded 1987, one song)
From a 4-song e.p. 45 containing 4 songs by 4 different bands,
including this one from Opal.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:41 pm

New addition:
Kind of Hazy - Suki Ewers
Album released 2008, now out-of-print
http://www.filefactory.com/file/2ssoz4u ... 20FLAC.zip

Track Listing:
01 Time After Time
02 Know What You're Saying
03 All Day Long
04 This Must Be Heaven
05 Forever Girl
06 What an You See
07 One More Time
08 All the Stars
09 Lazy

CD-rip from David Morgan's (opalstardream's) CD
he shared.

Suki is Mazzy Star's long-time keyboardist and
second guitarist and did similar duties in the pre-Mazzy
Star band Opal, first dating back to when Kendra Smith
was Opal's singer before Hope Sandoval replaced her.
Opal recorded one of Suki's own songs, "Brigit on Sunday."
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:54 pm

New Addition:
-Rain Parade, 1983, Oct. 12*, CBGB, NYC, FLAC
http://www.filefactory.com/file/l9v7uqy ... %20NYC.zip
*Some say the correct date is actually December 10, 1983

A good quality recording taken from a vinyl L.P. bootleg circulating at one time.
Reproduced below is the recording's description as posted at dimadozen.org
torrent sharing site by the person who shared it there. That's where I found
the recording. At the DIME site, hanwaker left a comment suggesting the date may
possibly be wrong, and the gig may have been in December instead.
-Hermesacat/Bob B.
Rain Parade
CBGB's, New York, USA
October - 12 - 1983
Transfer from vinyl bootleg
"Welcome To Paisleyland," CLEAN SOUND RECORDS CS 1009

from SEETHELIGHT7 collection # 715
Unknown gen tape (unknown recording equipment). Thanks to SEETHEFUZZ7 for digitalizing it from tape and sending it to me.

Rec. Info:
Unknown gen tape -> transfer via Nakamichi tapedeck DR3 -> wav-file -> wetransfer -> Magix Music Cleaning Lab (edit/remaster) -> FLAC (44,1 kHz, 16 Bit, Stereo) -> DIME
Ex- sound, no EQ was made. As it was originally transferred from vinyl there were lots of clicks which were mostly removed by the De-Clicker from the Magix Music Cleaning Lab
Sound levels were adjusted.

This is a great sounding show from the early phase of the band and it was obviously taken from the vinyl bootleg Welcome To Paisleyland. It sounds to be either a soundboard or an
excellent audience recording. I could not find any information about that. There could be a mistake with the exact date as on some web sites it is given as 10th of December 1983.
A copy of the original bootleg cover is attached.

Setlist (tape length 38:34 min.)
01 - Whatever They Say
02 - I Look Around
03 - This Can't Be Today
04 - No Easy Way Down
05 - Saturday's Asylum
06 - Talking In My Sleep
07 - One Hour 1/2 Ago
08 - Revolution (Beatles)

Band line-up:

Steve Roback - vocals, bass
David Roback – vocals, guitar
Matt Piucci - vocals, guitar
Will Glenn - keyboards, violin
Eddie Kalwa - drums

Uploaded to DIME [dimeadozen.org] by Stacheleber 2014/10/03
Hermesacat

Postby thousandfold » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:45 pm

Hello there -

Just wanted to say firstly that this site is a real treasure and many thanks to all...labors of love like these are so wonderful to find. Speaking of which...

I noticed that there are a couple of links that I was really hoping could be raised from the dead:

(1) Opal (w.Hope) - Rome, 1988-03-23 FLAC:
http://www.4shared.com/zip/gs-yttMy/opa ... _rome.html

(2) Opal (with Hope) - 1988-04-06 - Stuttgart FLAC:
https://mega.co.nz/#!qYEGXTDB!0iYBsHeV5 ... VhwpVSBt14

(3) -Opal 1987-11-17 (with Kendra Smith singing) SST Records BBQ, UCSD, San Diego CA, MP3:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/717apcx ... -11-17_zip

I've found some truly wonderful things here and these would be among my most cherished. Thanks so much for the time involved and the curating of these treasures. It is appreciated.

thousandfold
thousandfold

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Hermesacat

Postby thousandfold » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:53 am

Hermesacat: Thanks a lot for the links fix...totally made my day.

- thousandfold
thousandfold

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:55 pm

Hey, no problem thousandfold. I like the list to have all working links but am not diligent about checking them often enough, so it's good if people let me know of links gone bad.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:08 am

-New Addition:

Mazzy Star
June 1, 2000
John Dee Club
Oslo, Norway

01. *Leaving on a Train , a.k.a. Let That Be
02. Does Someone Have Your Baby Now
03. I'm Gonna Bake My Biscuit (Memphis Minnie cover)
04. Ride It On
05. I’ve Been Let Down
06. Bells Ring
07. Rhymes Of An Hour
08. Unreflected
09. Sparrow
10. *That Way Again
11. Look On Down The Bridge > crowd
Encore 1:
12. *When You Were Young, a.k.a. Now That You're Gone
13. *Plain Gold Ring (a cover written by Jack Hammer and best known in Nina Simone's 1950s version)
14. crowd
Encore 2:
15. *Mona (Bo Diddley cover)

Total Time = 73:32 min

I've also upped this show to youtube, here: https://youtu.be/hmvuW2YsGaw

This is only the second show recording from Mazzy Star's short, mostly Scandinavian, 2000 tour
I've heard. The other is the June 4, 2000 Copenhagen show which is one of my own fave Mazzy Star live shows.
This Oslo one was was shared recently via two live show torrent sharing sites, The Traders' Den,
and dimeadozen.org which is where I got it. Thanks go to hanwaker (Uli) for alerting me it
was at the DIME site. The Copenhagen and Oslo shows have identical set lists and song order except
for the last song. In Oslo they performed Mona. In Copenhagen, I'm Less Here.

This 2000 tour was unique because the band performed many then unreleased songs, many of which still remain unreleased in studio versions by the band.

Song trivia: Does Someone Have Your Baby Now, and Sparrow remained unreleased until 2013
when Mazzy Star included the two songs on their album Seasons of Your Day.
*The five songs with asterisks are still unreleased as of 2016, studio versions
not having ever appeared on Mazzy Star recordings. The only other recording I know of of Mazzy Star
performong Mona is from a 1997 show at The Mint, L.A. Bo Diddley recorded it originally, and the
Rolling Stones covered it in the 1960s. My guess is Hope, who's said she always been a big Stones
fan, likely first heard the Rolling Stones' version. I've only heard one other recording each
of Mazzy Star performing Plain Gold Ring, and That Way Again, both from the Copenhagen 2000 show.
When You Were Young has a number of live versions by the band, and Leaving on a Train has the most
live versions of any of the unreleased songs as they performed it fairly often in the 1990s. There's even
a live video version of the song in the Shoreline Amphitheatre/Bridge School Benefit video findable at
youtube and in the boots list at mazzystar.free.fr.

Below, I've pasted the recording description found at the DIME site. Thanks go to gifatty (George), Stonecutter, and kingrue for preparing and sharing this recording.
-Hermesacat / Bob B.
[Quote]:
This is the first time this recording has been shared at Dime [dimeadozen.org].
All thanks should go to Stonecutter for another fine recording released from his collection, and to kingrue
for transferring, tracking and sharing at TTD [The Traders' Den site].
Source: unknown mics > DAT Clone @ 32kHz
Transfer: Sony DTC-ZE700 > optical cable > JVC XL-R2010 CD-RW (44.1 Hz) Editing: Soundforge > Wav > TLH (SB's aligned) Flac Level 8
First shared at Traders Den 2016-09-02 - The Stonecutter collection 194
Transferred and tracked by kingrue upload 892
Thanks to utilityplayer for the setlist. Any corrections or recollections welcome!
........................................................................................
Brand new Mazzy Star from another uncirculated DAT.
This venue had a capacity of 400, standing room only.
After the band became dissatisfied with their record company and called it quits in 1997.
3 years later they decided to reunite and perform again, scheduling 7 dates for a short European tour in 2000.
Performing up to seven new songs at each of these concerts,
Sandoval revealed in interviews around this time that these new songs were written and recorded for Mazzy Star's fourth studio album,
which was to be released independently sometime in the future. This did not materialize.
Mazzy Star won't tour again until 2012 for their 18-date West Coast and European tour in support of their upcoming 4th studio album (which took them 15 years to complete).
The only other Mazzy Star recording from 2000 that circulates is June 4, 2000 Copenhagen. The rest of the dates seem to have never surfaced.
enjoy
George
Last edited by Hermesacat on Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hermesacat

Postby MikeRMD » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:29 am

Hello all and thanks for your efforts in keeping this site somewhat active. Things should get better in a few weeks when the album is released, although i noticed that it is available at first only on vinyl. It is good to hear that another show from the 2000 tour is available for our listening pleasure, especially as there was some feedback on 'Unreflected' in Copenhagen and until now that was the only live version we had. So there is now a 2nd full show available but there has been for a long time 1 song from the London 2000 show on YouTube and that song being a piano version of 'Look on Down From the Bridge'. That tour was very short and low key and it appears that the stripped down band did not bring keyboard(s) with them and used what was available in the venue so Copenhagen had what sounds like pipe organ and in London piano (what does this new version use?). I believe the person who goes by Zarik uploaded that and I recall him/her mentioning that they also had from that show either the whole thing or just also 1 other song which may have been the only version of 'Sinking'? I'm going by memory here and i'm sure that info was from the old BLVD so my details may be fuzzy. At any rate thanks to all those who recorded and shared these events with us, those who notice such and bring it to our attention, those who provide a site for us (thanks Emma!), and lastly those who maintain a listing of these events (and for that we thank Hermesacat as he seems to be THE CAT for listings).

Cheers,
Mike
MikeRMD

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Mike: You've likely heard it by now and know "Look on Down From the Bridge" is a piano version in the Oslo, 2000 show, just as in the London, 2000 show, and unlike Copenhagen, 2000 with organ instead, as you mention.

I'm aware of those facts you mention re. Zarik: that it was he who upped to yt the one song (Look on Down From the Bridge) from the London, 2000 show, and that he mentioned in the forum at the old Mazzy Star Blvd. site that he felt pleased he was able to get hold of a bootleg copy of the London, 2000 show.

Last time I recall Zarik posting in the forum here at mazzystar.free.fr was around the time of Mazzy Star's 2013 tour when he said he planned to attend the Chicago show, hoped to record it, and said he'd share his recording in the forum here. But another, good quality recording of the Chicago show got shared via the DIME site, which I added to the boots list, which is perhaps why Zarik ended up not sharing his too. If and when Zarik does return here to post, I'd want to ask him if he might be willing and able to share the London, 2000 show he has. One could send him a message via youtube, and I'd do that at some point if he doesn't show up here again.
Hermesacat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion