LIVE SHOWS (Mostly) RECORDINGS LIST w/download links

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: BOOTLEGS LIST with download links (Mazzy,Hope,Opal,etc.)

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:31 pm

July 11, 2017, new addition:
Mazzy Star - Ghost Highway (Mazzy Star live 1994, 2 radio broadcasts), CD-rip of
FMIC label's May, 2015 CD release, in lossless FLAC format:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/5qoco72 ... broadcasts
Contains these two radio broadcasts: The Metro, Chicago, 12th November 1994, & KROQ, Los Angeles, 10th December, 1994. Both those broadcasts have already been findable at this boots list separately for some years. To my ears, the 2015 FMIC CD release has no better audio quality than the boots versions previously findable here. But you can judge for yourself. The FMIC release was apparently sold retail in Europe & the UK. It was not an official or legit release however. Discogs site describes the FMIC label this way, QUOTE: "FMIC Profile: This label's releases aren't sanctioned by either the artists or their labels yet they have official distribution channels via the usual retailers (Amazon, etc.)." So, it was a bootleg release which makes it suitable for inclusion in this boots list. I didn't acquire a copy of the CD. I found the CD-rip FLAC file via a post at this music blog: http://urbanaspirines.blogspot.ca
[the blog post also has a MP3 version available for DL there for those who like MP3s]

Tracks:
1. Flowers In December
2. Ride It On
3. Into Dust
4. Give You My Lovin’
5. Fade Into You
6. Halah
7. Ghost Highway
8. Blue Flower
9. Flowers In December
10.Bells Ring
11.Blue Flower
12.Halah
13.So Tonight That I Might See

1-8 Recorded The Metro Chicago 12th November 1994
9-13 Recorded at KROQ Los Angeles 10th December 1994
Hermesacat

Postby back2mine » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:53 am

Super impressed with the bootleg list and also the 'love and respect' you guys show all things 'Mazzy' related , as well as one another . Very refreshing in these 'interesting' times.
Me , I live in Shanghai but from UK , Got into Mazzy Star after hearing them on John Peel and buying 'She Hangs Brightly' not long after release from the Rough Trade Shop in Covent Garden where I and friends , used to hang out and skate. My love has always been Hopes voice and the lyrics which has kept me hooked ever since with subsequent related releases and a few gigs over time. Also the artwork 'covers' have always been something I've always eagerly anticipated and enjoyed . Not quite '23 envelope' but along those lines. I go through phases of listening to different bands and since June have been revisiting all my Mazzy Star and Warm Inventions collection . Am not one for using the wider internet so much other than particular sites for my news , but yesterday I did ... and happily found the forum .

I downloaded a few bootlegs with success despite the China Firewall . The 'Peoples Republic Of Communist China' here must be 'Mazzy Friendly' :) . The one which does not download as a useable file is 'Hope Sandoval - collaborations compilation album, 12 songs' in FLAC . Tried 3 times with the same outcome . I think I have all majority of the tracks already but a third of mine are mp3 so looking forward to listening in FLAC . Any help/suggestions appreciated .. many thanks Mark
back2mine

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:49 pm

Hello back2mine:
Glad to hear you discovered & are enjoying this site:
Here's an alternate download source to try for the Hope Collabs file you were having trouble DL-ing
I re-upped it to a different file hosting site, here: https://mega.nz/#!XIVA3KSL!kI33g7b4WKtM ... Zu-RH21Wng
This forum is rather sleepy nowadays as far as frequent discussion goes. Facebook is what's popular these days for fan groups, apparently. If you're interested, ckeck out the thread entitled "Band Facebook Pages and other sites..." The FB fan group listed there is a hotbed of fan activity. I post there often myself.

However the FB group has some definite drawbacks. It's a closed group which means only members can access content (although anyone can request membership), and google searches can't search & find stuff there. Also, the FB group page is basically just one long series of random posts. There are no sections & no organized content. In contrast, this mazzystar.free.fr site's content is findable by anyone online via Google search (mazzystar.free.fr is the first result that comes up when I google search for "Mazzy Star bootlegs", for instance), and has threads with organized content. There couldn't exist a "Bootlegs List" or Photos Section or Interview Sections at the FB Group such as one can find here. So, as an archive and info. resource, mazzystar.free.fr beats the FB fan Group hands down, imo. But both sites are useful, & I like both. They complement each other.
Last edited by Hermesacat on Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermesacat

Postby back2mine » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:43 pm

Hermesacat

Many thanks for reposting and the quick response .. worked perfectly-no file problems this time . I still enjoy The Jesus And Mary Chain Gang duet even if they don't ! The only tracks missing were from Le Volume Courbe , I Killed My Best Friend . I have them should you require though the FLAC version (Dynamic Range) is no better than MP3 having originated from the same source . Happy to upload if required.
Facebook along with many other sites in China continues to be banned. Accessible using a VPN but often painfully slow. VPN's are also expected to come under tight scrutiny shortly so I just (happily) don't bother .
Looking forward to hearing the new forthcoming HS&WI tracks though getting vinyl sent into country is 'hit or miss' with so praying there will be a digital version to buy. :)
back2mine

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:08 am

back2mine:
Glad to know the mega site upload was accessible to you.
No FB in China (without using a slow VPN), huh?
Thanks for the offer re. Le Volume Courbe. I do already have an MP3 version
of the album. I knew Hope (+ Colm + Roback) appear on it, but since Hope
only plays glockenspiel on it (on the song "Harmony", I believe) and doesn't sing, I intentionally rejected it
for inclusion in the collabs. compilation 'cause I wanted that to be an album
of all songs with Hope's voice.

However, in the text description and track listing I wrote up for the uploaded file at mega, I SHOULD have made note there re. the existence of "I Killed My Best Friend", mentioning Hope plays on it but doesn't sing. I'd made note of the fact elsewhere in this forum and in the video description for my yt upload of the same compilation - but forgot to mention it in the text file in the upped folder. Oh, well. I also neglected to explain there the presence of the XXX-rated video of "Paradise Circus" as it should be noted that was the official video Massive Attack released for the single. Hope saidin a 2010 interview she signed off on the video, approving its release, & said she liked it.

Emma, who is webmaster at this site, recently uncovered an obscure Hope collab. recording from 2010.
See page 7 of the "Photos" thread for Emma's info on it & links she posted on it, and also see page 6 for the
photo I found of Nathan + Hope + Colm via twitter that started the uncovering of the story.

To summarize here:
There was a 2009-2010 cassette-only release by musician N. Shineywater (Nathan Shineywater, a.k.a. Nathan Peters) called "Reach the Oldest Tree." Side A has two songs credited to N. Shineywater, while
Side B has just one song. Side B is credited to Berry Shadows and the song's titled "All Moss Under the Sun."
Discogs site has info. including this helpful info. posted as a "Review" comment, QUOTE:
"B Side of the tape is by Nathan Shineywaters new band called Berry Shadows.
Berry Shadows is a band made up of N Shineywater, Hope Sandoval, Colm O'Cossaig (my bloody valentine)
and others."
I've not heard the cassette, and have seen no indication anywhere Hope sings on the track,
which leads me to suspect Hope, if she's on it, maybe just plays some glockenspiel or tambourine.
Surely if Hope sings on it, someone somewhere would have discovered and shared this info. by now,
including likely Mr. Shineywater!
-As of today, August 11, 2017, I see discogs site shows 1 used cassette for sale for $62.50 U.S.
Too steep a price for my liking, especially if Hope doesn't likely sing on it!
Hermesacat

Postby drugstore » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:49 am

Hi there ,

Many thanks for sharing all these recordings and informations. And I'm also interested in those unrevealed 1990s mazzy star videos. I have a video of a TV performance of "ride it on" which I downloaded years ago through a Chinese video site and I cannot find it anywhere now. It definitely comes from the same 1994 TV show in Montreal from which we can find two interview videos on Youtube. However, the quality is bad since I failed to contact the person who uploaded it so I just downloaded it directly from the video sites.I'd be very appreciative if someone here have a better version of this and willing to share.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_5v7p ... sp=sharing
drugstore

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Drugstore:
WOW, thanks for sharing the rare live video of Mazzy Star performing Ride it On on TV.
The quality is not bad at all. It's quite watchable & listenable. I like it very much.

I see Hope & David are wearing the same clothing (& necklace in Hope's case) as we see them wearing in the 1994 TV interview segments, and it's obviously the same studio, so therefore must be from the same Montreal show, as you say. That TV broadcast was from the Canadian, Montreal-based TV channel "Musique Plus" which was French-language sister-station to the Toronto based, English-language channel "Much Music" (which was sort of Canada's MTV). They were owned by the same company but were separate TV channels. In the interview segments, it's mentioned Mazzy Star were to open for JAMC that night in Montreal. By researching JAMC gigs history lists, I was able to date this TV broadcast to October 28, 1994, the date JAMC played Montreal.

I shall want to add this one to my youtube channel that's full of Mazzy & Hope rare recordings, and shall of course want to credit you as source, your having kindly shared it via this fan site.

I like how rare recordings & videos from decades past are still turning up & getting rediscovered now and then. This is a good one! Thanks for sharing.
[later edit: drugstore's video is up on yt now at my yt Channel: https://youtu.be/PkbPEY8LgDo ]
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:23 am

http://www.filefactory.com/file/2mlnymg ... -10-11.zip

Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - Seattle 2017-10-11, Neptune Theatre

01 [Intro, the band takes the stage]
02 Not All Our Tears
03 Salt of The Sea
04 Around My Smile
05 Sleep
06 Day Disguise
07 That Spider
08 [unplanned intermission - Hope quits the stage and doesn't return for nearly an hour. Colm
comes on stage several times to explain and to reassure the crowd Hope will return.
The intermission segment is reduced here from approx. 55:00 minutes down to 3:45 to include recordings of
Colm* & Hope speaking]
09 Trouble
10 I Thought You'd Fall For Me
11 Suzanne
12 Into The Trees
13 Liquid Lady, + Hope speaks, including thanking the crowd for staying during the long
unscheduled "break."
14 Let Me Get There
15 Primitive (The Groupies/Cramps cover), plus Hope speaks to the audience,
plus hands a glass of wine (she had two)to a guy at the front & clinks glasses with him!
Encore:
16 Antiquity
*One other thing Colm said that didn't get recorded, but which I wrote down
right after he spoke is: "Alright, she's comin' back in a couple of minutes.
She's a bit upset, but she's okay." But it turned out it was a lot more minutes than a couple before
Hope got herself back in a state to continue.

This recording proves I was among those who had FAITH Hope would return
(as Colm promised she would) - as she did, and in a good mood, to do
another eight songs. I was also optimistic 'cause I'd heard of a number of
gigs where Hope had exited stages mid-set, but in every case I'd heard of (post 1990s, that is)
she always came back to finish the show. The only cases I know of of Hope quitting mid-gig
and NOT returning all date from the 1990s. Perhaps she's mellowed some with age.

Hope removed her ear bud monitor during That Spider, and walked off before it finished, making a sideways
back and forth cutting motion with her hand as a sign to the band as she walked off.
The band then brought the song to a neat close.

Hope's exit was apparently due to a number of
stressors: A technical problem with her ear bud monitor. Plus, Colm
explained from the stage they were all traumatized by the Sonoma wildfires
that had killed many people and were still burning, the damage of which
they saw up close that week. Colm said the fires came so close to their
own tour bus (they played a Sonoma gig Oct. 8, the very night news broke
of out-of-control wildfires there) their bus was "nearly engulfed by flames." Also, he
said they had to fire their sound crew the day before 'cause "they were
useless." This followed a reportedly disastrous Portland show with
serious sound and lighting problems. Hope added she'd also just had
a "run-in" with someone and the experience "threw [her] off guard."
Thankfully, Hope came back to finish the show in fine form
(Oh, ye of little faith who gave up and left...you lost out)!

I succeeded in recording all the music of the show - except the first
song,"Not All Our Tears," which is incomplete. Its beginning and end are intact but
there are three spots in the middle where portions of the song are missing. That's because
I got "busted" by security for recording. There were signs at the gig forbidding photography
and video recording, but they did not mention audio recording. Hope hates the distraction & irritation of
camera flashes and phones being held up high in the air in front of her. I pointed this out to the guard
who did not accept my interpretation of the sign, insisting there was "NO RECORDING."

I removed two short portions with the guard's loud voice telling me to put away my recorder.
The other missing part is the short time between when I turned off my recorder for the guard's
benefit and turned it back on again for mine and yours! Ha. I hid it in my shirt pocket for the
duration of the show as it discreetly recorded. You can hear three abrupt jumps where the
recording of the first song jumps ahead to a later part of the song suddenly. I'm not sure how much is missing
but I'll guess it's 30 to 60 seconds worth.

We know the title of the first song, "Not All Our Tears," a song I've never heard before, because someone obtained
a printed stage set list from the first gig of the 2017 North American tour, the one at Sonoma,
CA Oct. 8 with this song title and posted it to the setlist.fm site. A lyrics search of lyrics one can
hear in the song turn up no known song, so it may be a new, original song by the band.
The Seattle gig I saw followed the Sonoma setlist exactly except the last song performed at Sonoma
("The Hiking Song") was omitted in Seattle.

In some ways, this recording sounds better, imo, than the same songs sounded at the venue. That's
because the sound mix at the venue had the bass way too prominent in the mix and it drowned out Hope's voice
and the other instruments too often. Luckily, my recorder corrects some for overwhelming bass.
Plus, I further reduced the low end using Audacity software and boosted the higher frequencies
to bring Hope's voice & the guitars out more.

Colm, when he's not playing drums, plays guitar on several songs on this recording. Most notably,
he plays lead guitar on the song "Day Disguise." And he, not Hope, plays glockenspiel on "Suzanne."
I believe Hope plays glockenspiel on the other songs.

On the last song, "Antiquity," Hope's voice (and harmonica) sound a bit uncertain, imo, unlike in the other
songs. She also seems to forget lyrics during "Antiquity." At one point in it, she starts to sing a line,
then stops and goes silent while throwing her hands in the air, as if to say "I forgot the words." She didn't
have a screen on stage scrolling lyrics as she sometimes has.

The cover of "Primitive" is a song I've never heard HS&TWIs do before.

I've already upped several songs from this gig to my youtube Channel where you can check out what
they sound like (at yt's mediocre 128 kbps bit rate). Here's the link for the new song, "Not All Our Tears"
https://youtu.be/YIaoETcfrSA . You can easily find the others on my Channel.
Recorded in WAV with a Zoom H1 recorder at 44 Khz 24 bit
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:16 pm

Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions-INTO THE TREES ,Live,BERKELEY, 2017, Oct. 13 (w. Michael Masley)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/34w2c07 ... ley%29.zip
The download link is for a folder that contains an MP3 audio file @128 kbps, the same bit rate as Thomas's original phone recording, plus the youtube "video" version with a slide show with relevant photos.

AUDIO recorded by Facebook fan Group member Thomas Attenborough. He attended this show at Berkeley's UC Theatre, and recorded two songs but deems just this one suitable for listening to. I'm sharing it on his behalf here. Thank you Thomas! It was recorded with his phone but is quite listenable. There are loud talkers in a few spots. Some seconds are missing from the song's beginning.

This live version of "Into The Trees" is unique as it's the only live performance of the song on the Oct. 2017 tour with Michael Masley joining the band on stage to perform. This resulted in the live version at Berkeley sounding quite different from versions of the song played at other dates on the tour.

Masley plays on the original studio version of the song found on the 2016 Hope Sandoval & TWI album, "Until The Hunter." He informs us he plays "mostly gong" on the album version, but plays
nyckleharpa in this live version. The two instruments and the sounds he gets from them are very different. He says "Into the Trees" was the only song he joined the band on stage for in Berkeley, & that he took both his gong & nyckelharpa "into rehearsal but Colm thought nyckelharpa would work best @ UC Theatre."

Masley uses a self-designed "tribow" with three bow strands to play his nyckelharpa. He says "I also occasionally pluck as I'm bowing." & says some of the sounds of the nyckelharpa here are created using "a pair of [Pitchfork brand] octave pedals
which sound (twice) at once below & above the source note," creating compelling sounds.

Thomas likened some of the nyckelharpa sounds here to the roar or growl of a jungle cat! Hope in her Oct. 17, 2017 Facebook post described Michael's nyckelharpa at the show as "sounding unearthly"! (Hope's full FB quote is found in the slide show).

The original recording of "Into the Trees" came from an hours long jam session with just Hope & Colm in Ireland. HOPE QUOTES: "“We had a really crazy jam session very late at night. The organ sounded amazing in that room [a historic stone Martello cannon tower]. Colm was going from really wild drums to really slow, hypnotic percussion" (-Jan.2, 2017, Swench.net); "We just had wine, got stoned, and played non-stop. I got this new organ, and it was the first time I played it, and Colm played drums. It was crazy, wild, dark, and spooky. I think that song represents the mood of what was happening on the night."(-Oct. 31, 2016, Consequence of Sound)
Later, in San Francisco they asked Masley to add his sounds to their recording.

Here's a quote from Hope from Dec., 2016 BLITZ mag (Portugal, my translation), QUOTE:
HOPE: "I really like that song [Into The Trees]. I think it's my favorite...Colm and I got together in Berkeley where we met a street musician named Michael Masley. He's a very cool guy
who reinvents his instruments, recreating them to make some very haunting sounds. When we returned to San Francisco, we invited him to lend the song some of his beautiful sounds. This song stands out because we are only the three of us on it: I, Colm, and Michael."

Here's part of a Hope & Colm interview from a Nov. 3, 2016 Jenesaispop (France) interview (my translation), QUOTE:
"COLM: I don't know what the story of 'Into the Trees' is, it's Hope's lyrics.
HOPE: Someone I knew in London took me to the forest. And if neither of you know what that means, you have to investigate..."

Michael Masley passed along some links to include here about him, his instruments, and music projects: https://www.pinterest.ca/artistgeneral/a-call-to-arts/
http://www.artistgeneral.com/Photos.html
Plus some "teaser" short videos about a documentary movie being made about him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJsV52_2E_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz2vgdcVW-k
Plus this video demonstrates how he got his unique & mysterious gong sounds on the studio version of "Into The Trees": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShuwAKNiOsc

On stage photos in the slide show are all from various shows from the Oct., 2017 U.S. tour. But none are from this Berkeley show as I've not seen any. The close ups of Hope on stage & the cowboy hat pic are all by talented photographer Luz Gallardo whose Hope pics repeatedly "wow" me.

Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:50 pm

[obsolete post removed by its original post-er, Hermesacat]
Last edited by Hermesacat on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hermesacat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion