LIVE SHOWS (Mostly) RECORDINGS LIST w/download links

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: BOOTLEGS LIST with download links (Mazzy,Hope,Opal,etc.)

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:58 am

Mazzy Star, 1994, April 9, Los Angeles, CA, The Palace
http://www.filefactory.com/file/6zsrrwm ... Palace.zip

01 Give You My Lovin'
02 Blue Light
03 She Hangs Brightly
04 Ghost Highway
05 Bells Ring
06 Ride It On
07 Into Dust
08 Flowers In December
09 Fade Into You
10 So Tonight That I Might See
11 Rock Section (The Colours Out of Time cover)
12 Blue Flower (Slapp Happy cover)

This recording comes from Scott Simpson's collection, one he received in trade.
He says it comes from a first generation cassette.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Mazzy Star - 1990-08-14, Cleveland, Babylon A Go Go club
http://www.filefactory.com/file/762yj7x ... veland.zip

This is a much improved, re-mastered (Jan., 2019) version of this recording thanks to "kneesfudd" who worked on it with technical skills and resources beyond my own. It will replace versions of the recording I've previously been sharing.

This show contains four never released songs, including one (track 09) which appears to be a unique rarity as it's the only recording I know of of the song. I have put one song on my Hermesacat youtube channel, if you want to hear a sample, track 9, "It's Over."

00 (Intro)
01 Be My Angel
02 Blue Flower [Slapp Happy cover]
03 When You Were Young [unreleased. Also findable on other live recordings]
04 Ghost Highway
05 She Hangs Brightly
06 Bells Ring
07 Halah
08 Candle [unreleased. Findable on other 1990 live recordings. Formerly mis-titled "It's a Shame"]
09 It's Over [unreleased. My tentative title. We don't know its true title. It's the only recording of this song I know of]
10 Walk in Dark [unreleased. Findable on other 1990 live recordings.]
11 Give You My Lovin'
12 I'm Sailin' [Memphis Minnie cover]
12a (MC speaks)
Here are kneesfudd's descriptions of the fixes he
applied to this recording, QUOTE:
"differential EQ applied
averaged single speed correction +0.7% to all but last 2 songs
level issues at ends of songs corrected
some fades fixed
dead air at beginning deleted
some claps & clapping reduced
NO NR (noise reduction)"

Kneesfudd also sent me a second version with NR, but I prefer the results in this version without NR so am going with it. The NR one had more problems with the audio in spots.

Facebook fan Group member Ray Sferra attended this 1990 show and made the original recording with
a Panasonic RQ-335 walkman-style cassette recorder. Thanks go to Ray for generously sharing his recording.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6071129794/

I've included lyrics of the unreleased original songs from this show. The lyrics are
my own attempts to transcribe words. Biggest challenge was the song tentatively
titled "It's Over." This show has the only version of the song I'm aware exists, so it's all I had
to work with, and unfortunately Hope's words on the track here are not very clear, but are somewhat muffled, instead. But I ended up being pleased with the transcribed results after listening carefully and repeatedly with headphones, adjusting EQ, and using Audacity audio software to create an audio file of the song 20% slower in speed, making it easier to hear more clearly every sound of a line or word. I like to think I likely got most of the words right.

Lyrics to the three other unreleased songs I transcribed from another 1990 show, one recorded by Scott Simpson (and shared via Dime previously), Aug. 2, 1990, NYC, Woody's, as words are easier to discern in Scott's recording.

The unreleased songs in this recording are also findable on some other 1990 show recordings - except for the one song, Track 09, I've tentatively dubbed "It's Over," a song I've never before heard Mazzy Star or any other artist do. The lyrics' theme and style it's written in is reminiscent of another unreleased 1990 Mazzy Star song the band played at this same gig, "Walk in Dark," which I assume Hope likely wrote.

Online searches of lyrics lines hear-able in the mystery song turn up no known songs. Plus, when I upped the song to youtube, yt's scanning computers ID-ed no copyright holders: more evidence it's likely an unreleased Mazzy Star original.

At the venue, Hope signed an insert from the "She Hangs Brightly" CD for Ray Sferra, the taper of this 1990 Cleveland show. Here's Ray's account (he posted to the FB fan Group) of meeting Hope there, QUOTE:

"Here is a CD liner inside from She Hangs Brightly... The CD liner I had Hope sign at [the] Cleveland show, 8/14/90, at a place called Babylon-a-Go-Go, which is in Cleveland's Ohio City neighborhood and was across from the West Side Market. I could find no reference to that show online. I went early to that show hoping to meet her and after a little wait there she was. It was just me and her for about two minutes. I remember asking her about the lyrics for Blue Flower and she clarified some for me. I did ask for a picture, but she said her manager doesn't allow them. She was really nice and a little shy..." (-Ray Sferra)

Ray did later find, via a library archives search, a newspaper review of this show, and a 1990 newspaper ad for the club that listed Mazzy Star's show. He says a club with the same name "Babylon A Go Go" is still in Cleveland as of 2017, but it's on a different street.

A handwritten set list used on stage by Mazzy Star's Hope Sandoval, 1990-08-18, Chicago, Metro Cabaret was collected from the stage by Roman Tatus after the show and a photo of it was shared by Roman in a FB fan group. It's significant as it helps ID several songs Mazzy Star played live in 1990, but never released. Live recordings of the songs exist but their correct song titles were previously uncertain. By cross-referencing audible lyrics to titles on this set list, I was able to ID correct titles for the three of the unreleased songs played at this 1990 Cleveland show: "When You Were Young," "Candle'" and "Walk In Dark."

The photos folder here includes the 1990 newspaper ad and review of the Cleveland show, plus a photo of the set list used by Hope in Chicago in 1990 as described above. Plus some 1990 Mazzy Star photos, and one dating from 1989.

-Hermesacat (Bob B.)
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Mazzy Star 2019-02-24, Oakland, California, Oakland Fox Theater
http://www.filefactory.com/file/6yj6kqj ... heater.zip

[The notes here are by kneesfudd who remastered the original recording and shared it via dimeadozen.org live show torrent sharing site which is where I acquired it. Also, where noted are notes by Zongo, who attended and recorded the show, who describes it and the venue in detail below. Zongo's the same guy who recorded the 2017-11-30 four-song Mazzy Star set at The Esperanza Clinic benefit in S.F. My own small role in that recording and this one was in alerting kneesfudd when those shows had been announced so he could alert Zongo, our valued taper of S.F. area shows. -Bob B. (Hermesacat)]

00. (Intro - band takes the stage)
01. Flowers In December
02. Ride It On
03. Lay Myself Down
04. Quiet, The Winter Harbor
05. She Hangs Brightly
06. Blue Light
07. Halah
08. Blue Flower (Slapp Happy cover)
09. Fade Into You
10. Disappear
11. So Tonight That I Might See
12. Cry, Cry
13. Bells Ring

Encore :
14. Look On Down From The Bridge
15. Rock Section (The Colours Out of Time cover)

Total Time ::: 1:15:52[

[Thanks to Zongo and kneesfudd, we now have a well-recorded live version of "Quiet, The Winter Harbor" in lossless flac format, receiving the full-band treatment. Hooray. Previously, we just had Zarik's low quality 125 kbps audio bit rate youtube upload, and two monophonic phone recording from 2018]

::: Extremely fine EQ'd version [kneesfudd remastered, via EQ adjustments, Zongo's original recording which was too bass-heavy and muffled sounding, among other things - Bob B. (Hermesacat)]
::: Gold Star, the opening act, went on at 8pm & was not recorded by this taper.
::: Mazzy Star's performance started at 9pm & this be all the music.
::: "Into Dust" was on the setlist for an encore song but wasn't played.

Line-up ::: Hope Sandoval - vocals, harmonica, glockenspiel (or another band member?), tambourine, shakers // Dave Roback - acoustic & electric guitars // Suki Ewers - keyboards, acoustic guitar(?) // Josh Yenne - pedal steel guitar, guitar(?) // Paul Mitchell - violin, guitar(?), shakers(?) // Paul Olguin - electric bass // Derek James - drums.

Recording Information ::: Sony PCM-M10, using internal mics on the recorder -> master wav. Taper Zongo, QUOTE:
"Technique: M10 which I held just below head level pointed toward the stage & angled upwards toward speaker stacks suspended on either side of the stage. I was standing almost exactly at center stage, about 40 feet from the stage with the center of the M10 pointed directly at Hope (angled up as above) and the internal mics approximately aimed at the 2 PA speakers on either side of the stage area. Mic Sensitivity was set to "Lo" throughout. Most of the instruments were amped on the stage area, but also appeared to have mics from in front of the amps going to the board, so their sound was certainly reinforced through the PA. The recorder was set to manual adjustment so no limiting was applied; I only adjusted the volume twice very close to one another, about 80% of the way through the show." (Zongo)

Remastering 2019-03-02 ::: master stereo wav -> Audacity (fades, manual one-at-a-time glitch, clap, yelling, pop, volume adjustments, WITH differential equalisation, NO noise reduction) -> CD Wave (track splits) -> flacs (Trader's Little Helper) -> yr ears. First uploaded 2019-03-xx.

Thanks to the original taper, Zongo, for taping & sharing & writing notes. Thanks to Hermesacat for concert notification, setlist & line-up/instrumentation assistance (& good vibes!). ::: Corrections welcome ::: This is pretty damn fine. I spent all day remastering it & just did a complete (loud) follow-up all the way thru on the stereo - all round groovy sounds. Great the band is still performing. Listen, enjoy, show appreciation, share, give, spread peace. Yrs truly, Knees

Taper Zongo, QUOTE: "Observations: The Fox Theater was sold out, & has a capacity of 2800. I was recording from the floor, which had no seats & was a standing area; there were assigned seats in the back of the hall & in the balcony. The Fox is truly beautiful, amazing, refurbished & basically a giant piece of artwork inside. It has a strange but very nice feature that fresh air is pumped up into the room through vents in the floor, which made it quite nice. The audience was moderately energized, & consisted of people of all ages, from early twenties through their 60s. There was some marijuana smoke in the air throughout, but not much beer smell. The sound for the show was really quite good & clear, except that the bass was somewhat overblown, which can be heard in the recording. The sound was not particularly loud, & could be experienced without ear plugs without any problem. The stage was essentially dark through the whole show, & was completely black around Hope Sandoval, with minimal lighting on the others. Projected behind them were videos that were mostly black & white or sepia colored still pictures with a second still picture moving slowly overtop of the first picture. For one or two songs there were pictures that were slightly colored, & a couple of times there was moving film that was essentially totally out of focus & not clear what it was of. A disco ball was used for one of the songs near the end of the show. Overall, the show had a very dreamlike quality, which encouraged introspection & free association." (-Zongo)

[This folder includes photos all from this Oakland show, from many Instagram users, plus a few Twitter and Facebook users. They are credited by name in the photos' titles. Some originated as still pics. Others are screen captures I made from video clips.
-This same show has been upped to my Hermesacat youtube channel, here: https://youtu.be/lT8_FvV30to.
I plan to upload some songs individually as well. So far, I only have "Quiet, The Winter Harbor" up, here: https://youtu.be/71yx6Khyt5U
-Bob B. (Hermesacat)]
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:05 am

-Mazzy Star - 2019-02-26 L.A., Immanuel Presbyterian Church (Cathedral Sanctuary)

Good quality phone recording recorded in stereo in M4A (ACC) format. Thanks go to fB group member
Christi Tay for sharing her recording with us. I've upped it in two different formats.
MP3 here:
https://www.filefactory.com/file/33ddyq ... 20MP3s.zip
M4A (AAC) here:
https://www.filefactory.com/file/6mg3r8 ... 20AACs.zip .
The folders include many photos from the show.

01 Flowers in December
02 Ride It On
03 Lay Myself Down
04 Quiet, The Winter Harbor
05 She Hangs Brightly [partial recording. The last two mins. of the song are missing]
06 Halah
07 Blue Flower (Slapp Happy cover)
08 Fade Into You
09 Disappear
10 So Tonight That I Might See
11 Cry Cry
ENCORE:
12 Bells Ring
13 Look On Down From The Bridge
14 Rock Section (The Colours Out Of Time cover)

Mazzy Star played four shows in February - March, 2019:
-2019-02-24 Oakland, CA, Oakland Fox Theater
-2019-02-26 Los Angeles, CA, Immanuel Presbyterian Church (Cathedral Sanctuary)
-2019-02-27 Los Angeles, CA, Immanuel Presbyterian Church (Cathedral Sanctuary)
-2019-03-02 (Mar. 2), NRMAL Festival, Mexico City

Band Line-up: Hope Sandoval - vocals, harmonica, glockenspiel (or another band member?), tambourine, shakers // Dave Roback - acoustic & electric guitars // Suki Ewers - keyboards // Josh Yenne - pedal steel guitar, second guitar(?) // Paul Mitchell - violin, second guitar, keyboards, shakers(?) // Paul Olguin - bass // Derek James - drums.

Thanks go to Facebook fan group member Christi Tay for attending and recording this show
and sharing her recording, so other fans can enjoy it. I'm sharing it further on her
behalf. Her original audio files she sent me were recorded on a phone in M4A (also known as AAC) format
in stereo at 107 kbps bit rate.

There are gaps in time between most songs where it sounds like the recorder was turned off after
one song finished and turned on again when the next song was close to starting, or in some cases just after
the song had already started. Those gaps were in the original recordings.

I made some EQ adjustments with Audacity audio software to try to improve the sound of Christi's
already pretty good sounding audio. There was, imo, too much boom-y bass sound and too much low end on Hope's voice which I reduced. I think the voice, guitars and other instruments sound a bit clearer after some EQ adjustments. I reduced the volume of audience clapping between songs. Where there are gaps in time between songs, I made the applause fade out to silence just before the next song starts to make the transition between songs sound smoother, less abrupt.

The time gaps between songs mean some of Hope's between song talk didn't get recorded. We can hear her say "thank you" a bunch of times during applause after songs. And at the end of the last song, we hear her say something like: "Have you all a good night." Another Facebook group member Tim Cummings attended and his account of the same show suggests Hope spoke very little, so we are likely not missing much talk in thir recording. Tim reports Hope at one point did say "You're all so serious" - presumably in response to the unusually hushed audience that was mostly quiet even between songs when "you could hear a pin drop," according to Tim. Someone else who attended reported and confirmed the only thing Hope said to the audience (aside from "thank you" and "good night" lines) was "You're all so serious"
I also have this show on my Hermesacat youtube channel, here:
https://youtu.be/oSmGhbfmk78
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6071129794/
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Mon May 06, 2019 5:18 pm

The bad links that were in the Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions I believe have all been replaced with new, working links as of today. Plus I've updated the contents of the 2002-08-14, L.A., El Rey Theatre show in a new improved version. See its description in the list for details.
Hermesacat

Postby Hawkwood » Sat May 11, 2019 7:34 pm

Can anyone point me at any good downloadable soundboard recordings of Clay Allison or Opal (with Kendra). I'm particularly looking for 'Clay Allison - Live At The Electric Banana 5-22-1984' - preferably in FLAC? Many thanks!
Hawkwood

Postby Hermesacat » Sun May 12, 2019 9:44 pm

@Hawkwood: the Clay Allison show you ask about is listed in this thread but I see I've mis-labelled it as FlAC when the link shown was for an MP3 version instead. On checking my files, I see now I do have the FLAC version. Somehow, I neglected to replace the MP3 version with the FLAC version instead. I've corrected that error today. Here's a new link to the lossless FLAC version:
https://mega.nz/#!bcU33K7Z!lT6V3OBCSM10 ... ts2X-1HfiI
Below I've pasted the text file that's in the folder written by hanwaker who shared the FLAC recording via dimeadozen.org site some years back.
clay allison
1984-05-22
pittsburgh PA (USA)
electric banana

sbd recording from the seethelight7 collection
unknown gen analog cassette

transfer by hanwaker 2009-04
cass played back on nakamichi cr7e (azimuth aligned)-->edirol 04-->HD---channel level
adjusted in audacity... level correctionsand fades and splicing the cass flip in
nero--tracked in cdwave--flac(8)

it is a bit hissy in the quiet parts..(but then how many clay allison shows are out there ?)
a slight EQ-ing might help but i rather leave that to more skilled knob fiddlers-
occasionally i doubt this to be a sbd .. but then again i am sure it's not an audience..
or if it is an audience it has been done right on stage

55mins

01 grains of sand
02 lisa's funeral
03 lullabye
04 hear the wind blow
05 freight train
06 fell from the sun
07 Cherry Jam
08 No Easy Way Down (tape flip but due to an overlap not dectable)
09 Indian summer

seethelight collection #06 --thank you for shining your light on clay allison--
Hermesacat

Postby Emma » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:46 pm

ziggy wrote:this vogon release is a Bootleg??? links below:

Thanks for sharing information about this release.

Here's the track list:
1. Bells Ring [live on KCRW]
2. Into Dust [live on KCRW]
3. Halah [live on KCRW]
4. Flowers In December [live at the Metro Chicago]
5. Into Dust [live at the Metro Chicago]
6. Give You My Lovin [live at the Metro Chicago]
7. Halah [live at the Metro Chicago]
8. Blue Flower [live at the Metro Chicago]
9. Flowers In December [live on KROQ-FM]
10. Bells Ring [live on KROQ-FM]
11. Blue Flower [live on KROQ-FM]
12. Halah [live on KROQ-FM]
13. So Tonight That I Might See [live on KROQ-FM]

The release has also been announced on Rough Trade's web site, which indicates that "this album comprises a unique live in the studio acoustic set recorded for KCRW and two full band sets recorded in Chicago and Los Angeles."
https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/mazzy-sta ... ve-tonight

Based on the track list and the artwork, I'm pretty sure this live recording is being released without Mazzy Star's consent.
The Vogon label released a similar recording (radio broadcast) last August, "Into Dust":
https://www.discogs.com/fr/Mazzy-Star-I ... e/12530981
Emma
Site Admin

Postby Emma » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:56 pm

Like Vogon, Code 7 Distribution released a radio recording of Mazzy Star last month. It's called "Live On 'Morning Becomes Eclectic' Show, Santa Monica, Oct 10th 1993 KCRW-FM Broadcast (Remastered)".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morning-Become ... 2ZJ0S3RTC9

It includes a 2-part interview of Hope and David and an acoustic version of Halah and Bells Ring.
You can listen to the full tracks on Deezer (it might not work if you're outside Europe).
https://www.deezer.com/fr/album/99911902

The interview had already been transcripted by Hermesacat in the Interviews/Articles (1989-1997) thread and
the live songs had also been made available for download by Hermesacat in his Bootlegs List a few years ago.
Emma
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion