LIVE SHOWS (Mostly) RECORDINGS LIST w/download links

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: BOOTLEGS LIST with download links (Mazzy,Hope,Opal,etc.)

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:56 pm

New addition Sept. 27, 2016.

-Hope Sandoval, collaborations with other artists compilation "album", expanded version.
Now has 12 songs.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/6qmn7gw ... 12%20songs

Hope recorded 12 song collaborations over the years which she sang on that appeared
on other artists' albums & singles (plus there's one that's only been released
as a youtube upload, so far). Assembled together, they make for a
first rate unofficial Hope "album", with so much variety, and so many fine songs.
I've also upped all 12 to youtube together. Hope co-wrote at least six, & probably seven,
of the songs.

Song Listing:
01 Sometimes Always, w. The Jesus & Mary Chain, 1994,(Stoned & Dethroned album)
02 Perfume, w. The Jesus & Mary Chain, 1998, (Munki)
03 *Asleep From Day, w.The Chemical Brothers,1999 (Surrender)*
04 *Killing Smile, w. Death in Vegas, 2002,(Scorpio Rising)*
05 *Help Yourself, w. Death in Vegas, 2002,(Scorpio Rising)*
06 *All This Remains, w. Bert Jansch, 2002,(Edge of a Dream)*
07 Angels' Share, w. Vetiver, 2004, (Vetiver album)
08 Cherry Blossom Girl, w. Air, 2004, (Cherry Blossom Girl single)
09 *Paradise Circus, w. Massive Attack, 2010, (Heliogland)*
10 Not At All, w. Dirt Blue Gene, 2013
Not yet released commercially. So far it's only appeared as a youtube upload.
This recording comes from D.B.G.'s yt Channel. It's in FLAC format here but
was recorded from the lossy yt audio, so is not actually lossless audio.
11 I Don't Mind, w. Psychic Ills, 2016 (Inner Journey Out).
12 *The Spoils, w. Massive Attack, 2016, (The Spoils single), MP3, 320kbps

* the six songs with asterisks are ones Hope has co-writing credit on.
"Not At All," I haven't seen writing credits for yet, but to these ears it sounds like
Hope's style of melody and lyrics.

Hope's also credited as appearing on two songs by Le Volume Courbe on the album,
"I Killed My Best Friend." She doesn't sing though but plays glockenspiel.
Those songs aren't included here.

All recordings here are in lossless FLAC except for "Not at All" which is "fake FLAC"
(as described above). Plus, The Spoils is MP3 because FLAC versions were not being sold
to Canadian retail customers when I tried to buy one. I was blocked from purchasing from
European retailers who did offer the song in FLAC. Nor could I find a bootleg version
of the song in FLAC.

Thanks go to hanwaker (Uli) for helping assemble this collection by providing some of the FLAC versions of songs.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Mazzy Star - 1994, October 21, The Academy, NYC
(opening for JAMC)

01 Flowers in December
02 Halah
03 She's My Baby
04 She Hangs Brightly
05 Wasted
06 Ride It On
07 Leaving On A Train (a.k.a. Let That Be) [unreleased]
08 Fade Into You
09 Blue Flower (Slapp Happy cover)

Another fine show from Scott Simpson's collection, one he received in
trade. A well recorded show.

It's an unusual Mazzy Star show as it contains
what I believe is the only live version of the song "Wasted" I've personally heard.
I'm told the band played the song on other rare occasions (a '94 Philly show was mentioned),
but I looked through track lists of other shows I have, and couldn't find
"Wasted" in any others of mine (unless I overlooked something).

"Leaving on a Train" (a.k.a. "Let That Be") is a song the band has never released. There are quite
a few live versions of the song as they played it on stage not infrequently in the 1990s and in 2000.

This was the tour when Hope would come out during JAMC's set and sing
the duet, "Sometimes Always" with Jim Reid which JAMC had released as a single that year.
Hope and William Reid were a couple at the time.

Scott's original notes say: "(opening for JAMC) probably 1st Gen"

You can also hear the recording of the song "Wasted" from this show at my yt Channel, here:
https://youtu.be/HZD7tpS2Xg8
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:06 pm

New addition:

Mazzy Star - 1994-11-26, Hollywood, CA, Hollywood Palladium
http://www.filefactory.com/file/43vicrn ... ladium.zip

Mazzy Star opened for JAMC at this gig

01 Flowers in December
02 Ride It On
03 Into Dust
04 Mary of Silence
05 Bells Ring
06 Blue Flower (Slapp Happy cover)
07 So Tonight That I Might See
08 Fade Into You
09 Leaving On A Train (a.k.a. Let That Be) [unreleased]
10 Halah

approx. 47 minutes in length
Most of this recording has very good sound quality

Another from Scott Simpson's prodigious collection of live show recordings,
one he received in trade. He says it was transferred from a DAT1 tape

I still have about 4 "new" (1990s) Mazzy Star shows Scott shared with me recently that will be added to this boots thread in coming weeks. By now, he's shared all the Mazzy shows he has, unless some stray ones may still show up in future in his searches of his prodigious collection of live shows by a myriad of bands he recorded or collected since the early 1980s. Lucky for us he's a Mazzy Star fan, and better yet, wants his collection shared.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:38 pm

Mysteries Solved re. Correct Titles to Some Unreleased Early Mazzy Star Songs.

Those of you familiar with Mazzy Star 1990 live show recordings (Woody's in NYC, etc.) will know there are some never released songs they performed in 1990 whose correct titles were uncertain.
FB fan group member Roman Tatus on Dec. 4, 2016 posted photos
of the front and back of a setlist from Mazzy Star's 1990-08-18 Chicago show at The Cabaret Metro.
It has a Metro ad on the front and the handwritten setlist on the back which Roman says Hope used on stage.

Not only is the setlist interesting for the memorabilia, as is Roman's anecdote of getting his CD autographed, along with a Hope-drawn cat she drew for him (see Roman's FB post below). but the setlist solves some long standing mysteries re. correct titles of never released songs they performed back in 1990.

For instance, the setlist shows a song called "Candle". This must be the correct title to the song commonly known as "It's a Shame," a tentative title bootleg tapers and collectors likely gave it. I've upped
a 1990 recording of it to my yt Channel as "It's a Shame" which includes my own attempt at lyrics transcription. The song's first line is: "Hold a CANDLE to my face." Title mystery now solved!

The setlist appears to also solve the mystery of the song title to
a 1990 song that in bootleg track listings I've seen is (non)ID-ed simply as "unknown (title)".
For my own yt upload, I gave it the tentative title "Bad Dreams Smile," which is a line taken
from its chorus. But because of the 1990 setlist-as-evidence there's good reason now to think it's
the same song the setlist lists as "Walk in Dark," because the song's lyrics have two
lines about walking, QUOTE: "And you walk with your eyes closed to me," which fits the title. There's also "I strolled by the lake: change of feelings"

Plus, the setlist confirms the title already commonly given to another unreleased song known as
"When You Were Young."

So, Roman's 1990 setlist turns out to be a very helpful and edifying artifact!

Here's Roman Tatus' original FB post, Dec. 4, 2016:
QUOTE: "As I was going through my boxes of memorabillia, I stumbled upon the setlist I got after the show at Metro in Chicago on... August 18, 1990! Hope and Dave also signed CD, can't find it now, and there was a cat's face drawn as well. Not as intricate as she drew few years later, though...If I remember correctly..."
{Roman's last sentence would refer to two other cat-drawings Hope made for fans that were posted to the FB site shortly before Roman posted, one from 1996 (Stockholm), and one from 2013 she drew for fan Juan (JC) at The wiltern, L.A.,who shared his photos and anecdotes in the forum at mazzystar.free.fr in 2013]

Also, in response to my asking Roman some follow up questions, he added, QUOTE: Roman Tatus :"Ok, if I remember correctly, it's been a quarter of the century already, this was the only setlist and it was Hope's. As far as the piece of paper, they have made plenty of copies of Metro's ads to distribute before, during or after
the concerts. I think Hope just grabbed it and used reverse (blank) page as a scratch paper. Hope this helps."
Last edited by Hermesacat on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:21 pm

[original post removed. Relevant info from it was posted to prior post re. 1990 setlist in a later edit]
Hermesacat

Postby TobyMarin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:30 am

your download links help me a lot! thanks for the work done!
TobyMarin

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:11 pm

New addition:
Mazzy Star - 1994-10-01, Mountain View, CA, Shoreline Amphitheatre,
Bridge School Benefit, day one of two (Mazzy Star played a second set next day, Oct. 2.). http://www.filefactory.com/file/2mqm5jr ... heatre.zip

01 Ride it On
02 Flowers in December
03 Into Dust
04 Leaving on a Train, (a.k.a. Let That Be [unreleased])
05 Fade Into You

This recording's from Scott Simpson's collection, one he received in trade,
an audience recording. Aside from the audience being talkative, it's a good
recording. Scott's notes say it's from a 1st Generation tape copy.

The annual Bridge School Benefit was co-founded by Neil Young
as is the school (for physically disabled children) itself. Mazzy Star was
one of seven bands/artists that played the 1994 benefit. They played short sets
each of the two days.

Pro-shot video was shot of both Mazzy Star's two sets at the benefit. The video
from the second day, Oct. 2, is findable at youtube under a title with "Shoreline
Amphitheatre" in it. There's also a download link for the video findable in this boots thread.
Video of this Oct. 1 set also exists. I've not yet ever seen it but would like to. If anyone has info.
about the Oct. 1 video, do pass it along.

Mazzy Star's drummer Keith Mitchell reminisced about playing this 1994 Bridge School Benefit weekend in a brief comment he left in a Facebook Group thread, Dec. 14, 2016:
QUOTE: "What a great weekend! I got to play conga drum with Neil Young, Crazy Horse and Pearl Jam on the second night's encore. We visited Neil's house the night before."
-Keith Mitchell

-The folder also contains two photos shot by photographer Neal Preston
of Hope on stage at the benefit Oct. 1, 1994, and a photo of a poster from the 1994 benefit
listing the bands who played. Many artists signed the poster, including Hope, Suki,
and Keith of Mazzy Star. The poster was displayed at a more recent Bridge School Benefit as
a historical interest artifact. A fan took a photo of it.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 pm

-Mazzy Star - 1994-10-02, Mountain View, CA, Shoreline Amphitheatre,
Bridge School Benefit (audience recording, audio) day two of two (Mazzy Star played a ptior day's set Oct. 1.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/59fj7kc ... %20rec.zip

01 Halah
02 Ride it On
03 Flowers in December
04 Leaving on a Train (a.k.a. Let That Be [unreleased])
05 Fade Into You

This recording's from Scott Simpson's collection, one he received in trade,
a good quality audience recording. Scott's notes say it's from a 1st Generation tape copy.

The annual Bridge School Benefit was co-founded by Neil Young
as is the school (for physically disabled children) itself. Mazzy Star was
one of seven bands/artists that played the 1994 benefit. They played short sets
each of the two days, Oct. 1 and Oct. 2.

Pro-shot video was shot of both Mazzy Star's two sets at the 1994 benefit. The video
from the second day, Oct. 2 is findable at youtube under a title with "Shoreline
Amphitheatre" in it. Video of the Oct. 1 set also exists. I've not yet ever seen
it but would like to. If anyone has info. about the Oct. 1 video, do pass it along.
-Hermesacat/Bob B.

Mazzy Star's drummer Keith Mitchell reminisced about playing
this 1994 Bridge School Benefit weekend in a brief comment he left in a Facebook fan
Group thread, Dec. 14, 2016:
QUOTE: "What a great weekend! I got to play conga drum with Neil Young,
Crazy Horse and Pearl Jam on the second night's encore. We visited Neil's
house the night before."
-Keith Mitchell

................................................................................................
-This folder contains screen shot photos taken from the video findable at youtube.
Plus a photo of a poster from the 1994 benefit listing the bands who played. Many artists signed
the poster, including Hope, Suki, and Keith of Mazzy Star. The poster was displayed at a more
recent Bridge School Benefit as a historical interest artifact. A fan took a photo of it.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sun May 21, 2017 11:42 am

New addition:
OPAL (with Hope Sandoval), Dec. 14, 1987,Victoria, BC, Canada, Harpo's Cabaret
http://www.filefactory.com/file/3d4n143 ... andoval%20).zip

01. Magick Power
02. Revolution
03. Real Wild Child
04. Ghost Highway
05. Rock Section [The Colours Out of Time cover]
06. Happy Nightmare Baby
07. Rocket Machine
08. Where Did You Run To [a song originally performed by Hope's early duo Going Home]
09. Soul Giver
10. Blue Flower [Slapp Happy cover, partial. The song gets cut off after 40 seconds]

Total Time: 45:11
The last part of the show is missing from the recording, and presumably didn't get taped. The recording quality is very good - except for some loud talking during parts of it that marr some songs.

The band Opal changed its name to Mazzy Star in 1989.

This recording was kindly shared at popular live shows sharing site, dimeadozen.org, May, 2017
by DIME member kneesfudd (see kneesfudd's own notes pasted below).

As of this writing, this is the earliest Opal-with-Hope gig recording I've heard. The only other Opal-with-Hope
recordings I have (findable via this boots thread) are ones from Opal's European tour the following year, March & April, 1988.

According to Opal's & Mazzy Star's drummer, Keith Mitchell [sad to report, Keith died May 14, 2017
"after a very short illness"], Kendra Smith quit Opal as singer mid-tour when
Opal was touring as opening act for JAMC in the north-east U.S. In Keith's words, QUOTE:
"Kendra did not storm off the stage [as some accounts have it] and quit . She left after the show
in Providence, RI on the Jesus and Mary Chain tour. We finished the tour with Hope and then toured Europe as Opal."
A JAMC historical gigs list shows they played Providence, RI, Nov. 12, 1987. So, that would have been Kendra's last Opal gig. Hope would have replaced her soon after.

Here's a quote from Hope from Uncut mag., UK, Oct., 2013:
QUOTE: "I was asked to do some live shows (with Opal) because Kendra didn't want to be the front person,
and I think it just got really difficult for her. It was during a tour that they were doing with
The Jesus and Mary Chain, so I got a call from David asking if I would fly out to New York and finish the tour.
That's what it was. That's how I started working with his band." (-Hope)

There's an anecdote related to Opal/Mazzy Star & Harpo's Cabaret, Victoria, BC, that's amusing and short enough
to recount here. It comes from a 2012 Victoria Times Colonist article. The article recounts
reminiscences of Marcus Pollard, one of the promoters at Harpo's club. He booked acts there
from 1985 to 1995. Pollard describes his "Five Top Shows" from his years at Harpo's in Victoria.
His "number 5" top show is pasted below, QUOTE:

5. Mazzy Star, 1993. "They had walked off stage [in a huff],
so I went to their van and said, 'Guys you really have to
come back on.' It was like talking to stoned children. And
[singer Hope Sandoval] said, 'But nobody's listening, nobody cares.'
I said something that eventually got them back, and they finished
the set. Their tour manager said to me, 'They always leave the stage,
but I've never seen them come back. What did you say?' "

Presumably, the promoter had forgotten what it was he said exactly persuading the band to return to the
stage, or surely he'd have told us in the article.
-"Like talking to stoned children." Funny!

Further research on Opal's North American tour, 1987:
Opal was touring with JAMC for at least part of JAMC's Nov.-Dec. 1987 U.S. tour

JAMC 1987 gigs list from aprilskies.amniisia.com site:
[I'm ommitting the European dates from Aug. to Oct. 1987, & including
only North American ones]

03/11
USA
Philadelphia

04/11
USA
Washington DC

05/11
USA
New York, NY

06/11
USA
New York, NY

11/11
USA
Boston

12/11
USA
Providence [Kendra Smiths's last gig as Opal singer]

13/11
Canada
Montreal

15/11
Canada
Toronto

16/11
USA
Pittsburgh

17/11
USA
Cleveland

18/11
USA
Columbus

20/11
USA
Detroit

21/11
USA
Chicago @ Cabaret Metro

23/11
USA
Atlanta

27/11
USA
Houston

28/11
USA
Austin

29/11
USA
Dallas, TX @ Club Clearview

02/12
USA
Phoenix

03/12
USA
San Diego @ Montezuma Hall, San Diego State University campus

04/12
USA
Los Angeles, CA

05/12
USA
San Francisco, CA

??/12
Canada
Toronto @ RPM Club

-Note Opal played NYC Nov. 5 & 6, and Kendra quit Nov. 12. So, did Kendra give some
advance warning when they were in NYC she intended to quit a week later, to give the band
time to enlist her and David's friend Hope as replacement singer for the rest of the tour?
Or, did Kendra quit without warning on the 12th, & did the band end up back in NYC after
that gig, and then phoned Hope? A small detail that hasn't been explained yet.

From the JAMC gigs list, we see there were at least 16 North American gigs left on the tour
after Providence. Did Opal (with Hope) open for all or most of those shows? The JAMC tour
appears to have ended in the first week of December. Opal played this recorded Victoria, BC show
on Dec. 14, presumably after the JAMC tour, and in a small club, Harpo's, one too small for JAMC
to have played in 1987. What other gigs did Opal (with Hope) play in North America in late 1987?
There are some 1987 Opal (with Kendra) bootleg show recordings available, but this
Dec. 14 recording's the only one I've yet heard from Opal (with Hope) from North in 1987.
The only other Opal (with Hope) recordings I've heard are all from Opal's March - April,1988
European tour.
-Hermesacat/Bob B.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:23 pm

I Like Your Blouse - Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/3rdlqlm ... s,+1%20MP3

Extended to 2 mins.+ in length. Originally a short song snippet of a little over
1 minute long that was the soundtrack for a video of equal brevity uploaded to
a mysterious but apparently official site of Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions,
tendriltales.com (*see interview quotes about the site, pasted below). The video
was first findable there in July or early August, 2016, and is still viewable there,
last I checked. Tendril Tales is the name of Hope's own indie label.

We know the title of the video/song is "I Like Your Blouse" because although no title
or info about it is viewable on the site, when the video's downloaded from the site
the data included with the video file shows that title.

One "complaint" about the excellent "Until the Hunter" album, released November, 2016,
is I've felt regret this fine song wasn't included on the album, and is unavailable as
a full-length song.

The snippet sounded more and more appealing the more I heard it. The guitar,
Hope's vocal melodies, and the multiple vocal tracks of Hope's voice are so atmospheric,
and have much emotional resonance, imo.

So, I decided to try extending the track by repeating the snippet, removing the fade
out section of "I Like Your Blouse" on the first go round, and keeping the original
fade out for the second go round, to see if I could make an audio file of it that
sounds more like a full-length song.

So, my audio file edit is the result of a desire to hear a full-length version of the song.
It's not the real thing, and it's not officially sanctioned (but hopefully is deemed
semi-forgivable by the song's creators). Hopefully it's a small improvement,
length-wise, over the all-too-short original song snippet...Better yet would be
Hope & Colm putting the song out completed as a full-length single! It would be a beauty.

This folder includes three files (plus this text description): 1)The original video
as found at the Tendril Tales site with the 1 minute+ long song snippet and its dandelion imagery;
2) A slide show I created for youtube (https://youtu.be/2e9U7uAxmQQ) with photos
plus the 2-minute+ extended version of the song I made. The version of the slide show in this
folder has better audio quality than what's on youtube 'cause youtube's audio bit rate is
a mediocre 128kbps, while the version here is 256kbps, iTunes quality, just like the original from
the Tendril Tales site; 3)An MP3 audio file of the 2-minute+ extended version of the song
at 256kbps audio quality, same quality as in the original video posted to tendriltales.com.
.......................................................................................................
*Here's a section from Rough Trade magazine's Nov., 2016 interview with Hope & Colm
where they refer to the tendriltales.com site and say why it's been made deliberately
mysterious, QUOTE:

[INTERVIEWER]: And you're putting this out on your own label,
Tendril Tales. What's that like?

COLM: Well it's been good. We like the idea of taking
independent music into the future where it's kind of artist-
run, so we can make all the decisions we want. I guess it's
a little easier for us because we've had records out already
and we've managed to get a distribution deal which really
helps keep the whole thing operating

HOPE: We work with this graphic designer on the website but
aside from that we're involved in practically every detail.

COLM: Yeah, we put something up on the website that doesn't
have any information. It just is what it is. There's a
serious lack of mystery on the internet these days. People
give away too much information.
Hermesacat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion