LIVE SHOWS (Mostly) RECORDINGS LIST w/download links

General discussion about Mazzy Star

Re: BOOTLEGS LIST with download links (Mazzy,Hope,Opal,etc.)

Postby Emma » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:54 pm

Hermesacat,

Many thanks for sharing this rare '96 recording at Le Divan du Monde.
I was lucky enough to attend this show and your bootleg brought back nice memories. The live performance of Five String Serenade was certainly one of the highlights of the show (a great rarity!). Besides the Five String Serenade live version, I like a lot their live performance of Disappear and the way that David jammed on that song.

As this concert took place twenty years ago, I forgot the small details of their performance but I remember that the show was professionally filmed. When we arrived at the entrance to the venue, we found a warning sign from Mazzy Star's management informing us that the concert would be filmed and asking us not to enter if we didn't want to appear in the footage.
I have always wondered what they did with this concert footage. Given the number of cameras that had been set up in the venue, I initially thought the video recording would be released as a concert footage/DVD box by Capitol Records. Maybe the problems that occurred during the show prevented them from releasing the footage. (You probably noticed that David had problems with his guitar on Let That Be. I remember there was also a problem on Still Cold. Hope didn't seem happy with Keith Mitchell's drum beat when they started to play the song. So she left the front of the stage and moved to the back of the stage to talk to him for a while. This explains why the Still Cold introduction is a bit longer than usual.)

I may be wrong but I think some parts of the footage were finally used in the official Disappear video. (Hope was wearing the same black bustier dress as the one you can see in the video. Also, the venue looks similar to Le Divan du Monde.)
Emma
Site Admin

Postby Hermesacat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Emma: Glad to hear you got to attend that 1996 Paris show, & that the recording has special significance for you 'cause you were there. Thanks for writing up your recollections of attending. I haven't yet posted the recording to dimeadozen.org torrent site, but plan to. I'd like to add your recollections to the file & the torrent description.

Five String Serenade - right, not a lot of live versions. It's on the '97 Mint, L.A. show recording, but that's a show where the audience was chattering loudly. I haven't listened to the two versions side by side, but am guessing the Paris one likely sounds best. Interesting about the video shoot during the Paris show you saw & that some footage may have ended up in the Disappear video.

It's too bad the whole video-recording of the Paris show hasn't surfaced. There may be a fair amount of 1990s Mazzy Star pro-shot video or film footage hiding out there. According to defunct fan site "Everything Mazzy Star," there used to be video tape bootlegs of the first day's 1994 Bridge School Benefit Mazzy set from Oct. 1, which was reportedly a bit longer than the Oct. 2 set we know, &, among others, included Into Dust, which wasn't performed Oct. 2. According to a youtube commenter, the complete 1996 Dutch radio studio video has 4 or 5 songs, but the only song from it that seems available now is Flowers in December. The live at the Metro show ABC broadcast part of on TV must have additional songs that didn't make it onto TV. We need people who have access to those video vaults to volunteer to liberate those videos!
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:49 am

New upgrade to lossless FLAC of:
-Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions 2002-08-14, L.A., El Rey Theatre.

opalstardream (David Morgan) was kind enough to share a new lossless audio file of his bootleg CD of the show. It's a well recorded show. Here's part of the text file I included:

Tracklisting:
01 Intro
02 Lose Me on the Way
03 On the Low
04 Clear Day
05 Charlotte
06 Butterfly Mornings
07 Friends of a Smile
08 Bavarain Fruit Bread
09 Drop
10 Silver & Gold
11 Around my Smile
12 Suzanne
Encore:
13 Louise (Acetone cover)
14 Play With Fire (Rolling Stones cover)

BAND LINEUP (this lineup for the tour was found listed at
hopesandoval.com, Hope's official site):

Hope Sandoval ... vocals, guitar *
Colm O'Ciosoig ... drums
Raymond Richards ... guitar
Nicole Presley ... keyboards
Mark Lightcap ... guitar
Al Browne ... bass

*Guitar? Hope played some guitar on this tour?

Mark Lightcap had been in the band Acetone
& co-wrote the Acetone song "Louise" Hope covers here, a
standout Hope cover, imo. Lightcap's co-writer on the song
was another Acetone key member, Richie Lee, who unfortunately
committed suicide in 2001. In the 2013 Mazzy Star interview audio recording, David notes that
Acetone was one of his fave bands that ever opened for Mazzy Star.

It seems Hope's niece, Nicole Presley, has multiple fans
(friends & relatives?) in the L.A. audience yelling out "Nico!",
& "love you Nicole!" I hear more yells for Nicole than for Hope!

Also included are David's scans of his CD cover, front & back. Plus, I included a Hope interview
from an L.A. paper published days before the El Rey show.
Hermesacat

Postby BrokenArrows » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:20 am

Excellent list and much appreciated, Hermesacat. My first brush with Kendra and Dave came in the summer of 1984 when I was in college doing pizza delivery and caught "Flying on the Ground" on the local alternative station. I immediately found a pay phone (remember them?), called in and asked who that singer was.

Anyway, you wrote: "If anyone finds links here that don't work, let me know, & I'll try to obtain working links, or create new ones."

I found the link to the Clay Allison Electric Banana show from May 22, 1984 no longer works. I also could not succeed in downloading the King Kong Club, College Pk. MD show from May 14, 1984. For this one, Google Drive either cuts out or tells me I canceled the download -- when I didn't.

If you could re-up these two I'd be very appreciative.
BrokenArrows

Postby Hermesacat » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:57 pm

BrokenArrows:
Just saw your comment today. I've been out of town and mostly away from internet activities for over a month.
Today, I re-upped the shows you want. Here are new links:

-Clay Allison, 1984-05-22, Electric Banana, Pittsburgh, PA:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/56bysvt ... -05-22.zip

-Clay Allison, 1984-05-14, King Kong Club, MD:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/55hvoo8 ... C%20MD.zip
Hermesacat

Postby BrokenArrows » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:26 pm

Hermesacat wrote:BrokenArrows:
Just saw your comment today. I've been out of town and mostly away from internet activities for over a month.

Hermescat,

Thanks a million! Much appreciated!! This is the next best thing to having been there. In 1984 I actually lived only a few miles from the College Park club.
BrokenArrows

Postby BrokenArrows » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:05 am

Hermesacat wrote:BrokenArrows:

A few songs are not listed. They are:

01 Grains of Sand
02 Lisa's Funeral
03 Lullabye
04 Hear the Wind Blow
05 Freight Train
06 Fell From the Sun
07 Cherry Jam
08 No Easy Way Down
09 Indian Summer

Most of the track listing for this set is "unknown" on the MP3 tags. I listened to them and they are as follows:

01 Grains of Sand
02 Lisa's Funeral
03 My Only Friend
04 Hear the Wind Blow
05 Freight Train
06 Fell From the Sun
07 Cherry Jam
08 Lullabye
09 All Souls
10 Ballad of a Crystal Man
11 This Town

"Ballad of a Crystal Man" is a cover of a song written by Donovan. It's best known as being from his second LP, "Fairytale," from fall 1965, but was originally from his "Universal Soldier" EP, released in the UK a few months before.
BrokenArrows

Postby Hermesacat » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:42 am

Broken Arrows:
Thanks for posting those track listings. I've always liked Donovan a lot. Love his voice & lots of his songs, although the song you cite is one I'm unfamiliar with as a Donovan song. I've been re-listening to a bunch of Donovan's 1967 to early 1970s recordings in recent weeks. Am glad to have learned today from your post that Clay Allison covered a Donovan song. David, Kendra, & Hope always seem to have fine taste in choosing cover songs to do!
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:25 am

New addition:

-Mazzy Star - 1994, June 26, Berlin, Loft, FLAC
http://www.filefactory.com/file/53ewkj9 ... 20Loft.zip
Below is pasted the text file from the uploaded recording. I've been doing very little Mazzy Star related activities online for a long while, & it's been many months since I added to my Mazzy youtube uploads. I hope to add a bunch more complete Mazzy & Hope S. & T.W.I. shows to youtube sometime in the not too distant future. Will share this recording via dimeadozen.org soon too in case anyone here prefers torrent DLs.

Best wishes to our webmaster Emma in France after the horrific events that happened in Paris recently.

************************************************************************************************************************
Mazzy Star - Berlin, 1994, June 26, Loft

Sound quality's good.
Details re. the origin of this recording are unknown except it comes from
a DAT2 (Digital Audio Tape) cassette from Scott Simpson's collection, one he received in trade.
This audio file comes from the file he made from his DAT2 tape, & kindly shared.
Six other Mazzy Star recordings from his collection have been shared via the boots list
with download links at fan site mazzystar.free.fr, here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13
and at live music torrent sharing site dimeadozen.org, including five excellent recordings
Scott himself recorded in the 1990s in the NYC area.
.....................................................................................

I used Audacity free audio software to make some EQ adjustments. There was too much low end in the recording, imo, including in Hope's voice. I think I had some success in bringing Hope's voice out clearer than it was. I also lowered the volume of what was loud applause between songs. With some bands, clear vocals aren't as important. But this is not the case with Mazzy Star recordings, imo!

Track Listing:
1. Give You My Lovin'
2. Blue Light
3. Bell's Ring
4. She's My Baby
5. Ghost Highway
6. She Hangs Brightly
7. Ride it On
8. Into Dust
9. Flowers in December
10. Halah
11. So Tonight That I Might See
-ENCORE:
12. Leaving on a Train, a.k.a. Let That Be (unreleased)*
13. Blue Flower (Slapp Happy cover)
..........................................................................................
*A song Mazzy Star performed live fairly often in the 1990s. The two titles it goes by
may both be incorrect ones bootleg tapers/collectors used for it. Quite a few live bootleg
recordings of the song exist, but it's never yet appeared on an official release.
A number of songs the band did do live in the 1990s belatedly (in 2011 & later)
saw studio releases via singles or the 2013 Seasons of Your Day album:
Sparrow, Lay Myself Down, Does Someone Have Your Baby Now, & I'm Less Here are examples
of older songs known from live recordings that got studio releases many years later.
Unfortunately, Leaving On a Train, along with a few others, remain exceptions.
..........................................................................................
shared via mazzystar.free.fr & dimeadozen.org by Hermesacat (Bob B.)
Last edited by Hermesacat on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hermesacat

Postby Hermesacat » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:33 pm

In addition to the "new" 1994 Berlin Loft show posted in this thread yesterday, here's another one from Scott Simpson's collection, Paris (L'Arapaho), June 23, 1994.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/6jlew6s ... 282%29.zip
A version of this same show has already been available for a long while via the boots list here, but it turns out Scott's has much better sound quality. The prior one is thin & tinny sounding in comparison. A third version was shared by someone via dimeadozen.org recently (by survivor69). It too has good sound quality, but to my ears, Scott's sounds slightly better. So, today I'm replacing the old link with a new link to the improved version which is an excellent sounding recording.

Below is pasted the text info. from the uploaded file:
********************************************************************************************************
Mazzy Star 1994, June 23, Paris, L'Arapaho venue

The sound quality's very good, with Hope's voice coming through clearly.
Details re. the origin of this recording are unknown except it comes from
a DAT2 (Digital Audio Tape) cassette from Scott Simpson's collection, one he received in trade.
This audio file comes from the file he made from his DAT2 tape, & kindly shared.
Six other Mazzy Star recordings from his collection have been shared via the boots list
with download links at fan site mazzystar.free.fr, here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13
and at live music torrent sharing site dimeadozen.org, including five excellent recordings
Scott himself recorded in the 1990s in the NYC area.

Track Listing:
01. Give You My Lovin'
02. Blue Light
03. Bells Ring
04. She's My Baby
05. Ghost Highway
06. She Hangs Brightly
07. Ride it On
08. Into Dust
09. Flowers in December
10. So Tonight That I Might See
11. Leaving On a Train, a.k.a. Let That Be (unreleased)*
12. Hair and Skin (Green on Red cover)
13. Fade Into You
*A song Mazzy Star performed live fairly often in the 1990s. The two titles it goes by
may both be incorrect ones bootleg tapers/collectors used for it. Quite a few live bootleg
recordings of the song exist, but it's never yet appeared on an official release.
A number of songs the band did do live in the 1990s belatedly (in 2011 & later)
saw studio releases via singles or the 2013 Seasons of Your Day album:
Sparrow, Lay Myself Down, Does Someone Have Your Baby Now, & I'm Less Here are examples
of older songs known from live recordings that got studio releases many years later.
Unfortunately, Leaving On a Train, along with a few others, remain exceptions.

L'Arapaho was a small capacity (350) music venue in Paris that operated through the 1990s,
but is now defunct, apparently.
................................................................................
This 1994 band lineup (based on other 1994 shows) is most likely:

Hope Sandoval: vocals, tambourine, shakers, harmonica, AND guitar at this gig, says Emma
David Roback: Guitars
Jill Emery: Bass
Keith Mitchell: Drums
Will Cooper (a.k.a Glenn, his real surname): violin/viola
Suki Ewers: Keyboards, second guitar
Last edited by Hermesacat on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermesacat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion