writing an article about Mazzy for my Highschool newspaper

General discussion about Mazzy Star

writing an article about Mazzy for my Highschool newspaper

Postby MaytheFae » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:29 pm

Hey Ya'll!
I was asked to right an article about one of my passions for my high school's newspaper. So of course, I chose the history of Mazzy Star. Despite my adolescence I have been a dedicated Mazzy Star fan for a couple years now. I have been browsing forums and blogs such as this one to collect information from other Mazzy Star fans. I discovered this forum about a couple months ago when I was practicing my own research of Mazzy Star. However now that I have a reason for my research, I am looking for advice on what I should reference in my article. Although I love Mazzy Star, I am young and wasn't around when the band was still performing. I discovered Mazzy Star myself when I had "fade into you" recommended to me on spotify while shuffling my favorite playlist. I then heard it again a week later when my dad played it in the car. And he told me about how much he loved Hope's voice and how he saw her in concert when the band was first starting out. I also fell in love with Hope's voice and I've been Mazzy Star obsessed ever since. I've noticed as of late, more and more teens my age have started to discover Mazzy Star's music as similar artists like Cocteau Twins and the Cranberries have become a bit more mainstream. However I think Mazzy Star's history is rich and needs to be shared with new fans. The article will be split into 4 sections: What is Mazzy Star, Why is Mazzy Star unique, How Has Mazzy Star affected music, and Why Has the band "made a come back". If you have any suggestions for what I should add to the article I will appreciate ya'll's input!
I am aware this forum seems to be relatively inactive, but I have been reading all ya'll's posts and discussions as I've collected info for this article. The article I'm writing may not end up being published because this article is my application into Newspaper. But if ya'll ask for it I might upload it here for you to see! ;)
MaytheFae

Re: writing an article about Mazzy for my Highschool newspap

Postby TomB123 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:15 pm

Hey, I've never actually posted on here before, but I thought I'd pitch in a little bit.

I think one of the things that made them most unique was their reluctance to step into the limelight. Often, their shows were very dimly lit, so that the audience could not see them. (I think this was primarily because Hope did not like everyone looking at her, but I could be wrong on this). There is also very few actual live recordings of them, as phones and cameras were usually banned at their shows, for the same reason. In fact, Hope was even known to walk off stage when the crowd were being too disruptive. Despite this, they still filled venues simply because of how beautiful their music is.

I think the easiest way you can see their influence is through how many modern pop icons cover their music, Miley Cyrus for example. Also, Lana Del Rey (who I am personally a big fan of) was pictured wearing a badge with the 'Among My Swan' album cover on, and often people have stated that her singing style and aesthetic in the days of 'Ultraviolence' may have somewhat been influenced by Hope.

As you said yourself, younger people have started to pick up on Mazzy Star's music, I think primarily due to social media. I know I for one have heard their music on tiktok multiple times. Again, this could be linked to modern singers like Miley Cyrus covering them. I also think that a lot of young people right now (me included) often have a nostalgia for a period that they haven't even lived in (even if that period wasn't necessarily better, in some ways), and this leads to them discovering music from that period. I think what I'm trying to say is, people have a certain aesthetic, which is influenced by their environment. And in modern day, a big aesthetic is trying to emulate that 90's grungey/psychedelic vibe, which Mazzy Star were certainly a part of. And of course, with social media, it is easier than ever to look into the past, and the music of that time.
TomB123

Re: writing an article about Mazzy for my Highschool newspap

Postby MaytheFae » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:19 am

Hey Tom! Sorry I didn't see this until now, I actually already finished the article and I got in!
But strangely enough I also noticed the similarities to the way Lana del Rey sings as well as her performance style. I touched on this in my notes that did not make it to the article before I even read your response, and I had no idea she wore an among my swan pin! That is all very interesting and I very much agree, as the aesthetic of nostalgia has become more fascinating to teens, 90s culture and music has started to return with a kind of boycott against the norms social media has established. I think the whiplash of the effects of Covid 19 might have to do with this, but I find it interesting what trends are returning, including in the music world.
MaytheFae

Return to General Discussion